It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User
TTC and thyroid problems

Are any of your TTC and suffering from thyroid disease? We haven't started TTC but we are coming close to starting next yr. We have two children alrready but after my second child was born I was dx with the disease. I was told that it would be hard for me to conceive because of it. I have heard miracle stories of ppl actually having healthy children whiel they were dealing with this disease. I am just doing as much research as I can before we actually start.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 12:51 AM   #2

Abby86 HB User
Re: TTC and thyroid problems

what i can tell you is that it will be hard to conceive. I had a friend that was told that she could not have kids because of her thyroid. she was able to get pregnant but she had so much dificulty. the last trhee months she was in the hospital the whole time. She had him about 1 1/2 months before and the baby had to stay in the hospital for about 1 month. she also developed other problems while she was pregnant. now four years after she is trying to have another baby she has not been succesful amd she has beeen trying for about 1 1/2 years with no success.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2004, 10:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

Do you have an underactive or overactive thyroid? I am pretty sure that there are drugs that can regulate your thyroid hormones and once they are regulated, many people conceive without a problem. Ask your doc what you can do to get it under control. See a reproductive endocronologist, they specialize in treating infertility and are hormone experts.
Good luck,
stacy

Old 09-30-2004, 08:51 PM   #4
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

I have an underactive thyroid. I will do fine for a good while then it starts to act up and my endo has to increase my dosage. About a yr ago I started off with only 15mcg Levoxyl and now I am at 100mcg of Synthroid. It just keeps going up. I wanted to wait awhile before I had my third child but now I am wondering if I should start now just in case I may not be able to later on. I am 31 yrs old and time is ticking. I didn't want to have a child after 35.

Old 10-03-2004, 07:15 PM   #5

honeybeems HB User

i have an underactive thyroid also. i was diagnosed after i had my first child, probably had it before. i took clomid to get pregnant. the first time took 4 cycles, the second 2 cycles, the third 1 time. i also have polycystic overies, so i was dealing with 2 things. i carried to term with them all. had no problems. its just important to have your levels checked while pregnant. i took the lowest dosage of clomid all three times, even if you don't have insurance it's affordable. i think it was maybe $50. before you start trying chart your temperature to see if your ovulating, if you are you probably won't have much trouble getting pregnant.i was on 125 of synthroid when i got pregnant with my last baby. good luck.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:27 PM   #6
(female)

txcntrygrl HB User

Thanks Honey, that was reassuring to read.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User

I had my thyroid removed about 2 and a half years ago. Now I am on synthroid every day to give me the thyroid hormone since it is no longer produced naturally in my body. I haven't had any problems with the dosage since I started. I'm hoping it stays fine through pregnancy as well...when I get pregnant that is. We are ttc for the first time this month.

Good luck! I hope thyroid issues to affect ttc. Keep us posted!

Old 11-11-2004, 11:08 AM   #8

sallyko HB User

I never had any thyroid problems. First time I got it when I got pregnant< i was 3-4 weeks pregnant my gyn found that I had thyroid disorders and she put me on Synthroid 50mg right away. We conceived easily from the first attempt and no problems with pregn ancy. After the baby was born I was still on Synthroid, but the dose was changed, Synthroid 75mg.
So it's been 4 years since I have been taking the pills and TSH test comes up normal every 6 months.
We're ttc now for a second baby, no luck. It's almost 2 years. I hope we'll achieve pregnancy soon.
I ovulate, have regular periods, I chart my BBT regularly, everything is fine.
We are getting acupuncture treatment. We hope it will help us.

Good luck to all

Old 02-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
(female)

Kristy113003 HB User

Hi,
Just wanted to let you know my husband and I tried for a year and a half before they did any test on me. Come to find out I have an underactive thyroid they put me on synthroid and I still could not ovulate. They then put me on Clomid 50 mg and I concieved the very first cycle of clomid. I had avery healthy 8 pound 11 oz baby. Be sure they keep a check on your thyroid throughout your pregnancy. We are now trying for number 2. Best of Luck to you!!!

Closed Thread