It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 12:47 PM   #1

MSJade HB User
Fibroids & Pregnancy

I had a pelvic ultrasound done in April 2004. I wasn't having problems, but my gyn thought my uterus was enlarged, so she had a transvaginal ultrasound done. Now I'm having pain in my pelvis/lower back/hip area which my doctor believes is coming from the fibroids. I want to have a child soon. (I'm 38) and I'm wondering if any of this will interfere with my conceiving a child. I'm going to see my doctor next Wednesday and will discuss this, but I'm kind of anxious.

These are the findings: There are four dominant myometrial fibroids seen. There is a 3.4 cm posterior uterine body myometrial fibroid, a 2.9 cm anterior uterine body myometrial fibroid, a 2.7 cm anterior fundal fibroid and a 3.6 cm posterior fundal myometrial fibroid.

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2005, 07:41 PM   #2

Living4Him HB User
Re: Fibroids & Pregnancy

Hi, I'm also 38 and ttc. Don't know a whole lot about the fibroids, but I have read that some don't effect getting or staying pregnant at all, while others have to be removed prior to pregnancy. So I pray yours will be the former. But I don't think the surgery is too terrible, but I don't know for sure. I know this isn't too helpful, but I wanted to say hi and good luck. Check the internet for more info. When do you go back to the DR? Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2005, 09:49 PM   #3

MSJade HB User

I need to find a new GYN. I want a high risk GYN because of my age, the fibroids and some more health issues. Both my mother and sister had children when they had fibroids. I guess my concern is my age and also my fibroids cause me pain.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

I have done a lot of research on this because I had a fibroid removed a year ago that was causing me infertility. This is because it was inside my uterine cavity making it impossible for an embryo to implant and most likely impossible for sperm to reach my egg. The doc said there was no way I was getting pg with that in there. So I had it out and tried for a few months before doing injectible drugs with IUI which got me pregnant, YAY! I still have one fibroid remaining but the docs aren't as concerned because it's not interfering with the cavity. So to make a long story short it depends on how many, where they are, and whether or not they are interfering with your fertility by impacting the shape of the cavity. My mom, aunts, grandma, all had them and never had trouble getting or staying pregnant. Most of the time they don't cause problems. So, if you're concerned, ask your doc where your fibroid is (intramural is in the wall, subserosal is protruding outward toward your abdomin, and submucosal is protruding in towards your uterine cavity). If it's the third kind, submucosal, like I had, it will need to come out for sure but luckily, those are the rarest kind.
There are a few kinds of surgery, ironically, the worst kind of fibroid is the easiest to remove. If it's submucosal, it can be scraped off through by going up through the cervix and it's just done in an hour and you go home that day and can start ttc in a month or so. The most common surgery is an abdominal myomectomy which is open surgery, kind of major surgery I guess, and you will be hospitalized for 4-5 days and recovery takes 2-8 weeks. Can't usually start ttc for 3-6 months after.
I know I babbled on with more info than you need, but let me know if you want more or have any questions.
Good luck!
Stacy

Old 01-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #5

MSJade HB User

Thanks, Stacy. I appreciate all the information. I'll have to contact my doctor and find out which ones these are. I don't know why they are not listed on the sonogram report. I just hope its not a procedure that needs to be done prior to my getting pregnant. At my age, I don't really have a lot of time to have children. (I'm 38.) I'm getting married in May 8th after that no more birth control.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

stacydl HB User

sometimes they can't tell with just an ultrasound where the fibroid might be. A lot of times they can, but not always. When I had my first one the report just said that my lining was irregular. They did a sonohysterogram next. That is when they flood the uterus with saline and do an u/s, the uterine cavity shows up as black so if the cavity doesn't look nice and normal, if it has something protruding into it, they can tell.
Good luck to you!
Stacy

Old 02-03-2005, 11:39 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User

I too have a fibroid (had it for about 5 yrs) and am TTC for the first time. I believe mine is in the uterine wall... not actually inside the uterus. All my ob/gyn's over the years have said to try and pregnant and see what happens. Most of the time, they don't want to remove them first, unless they know for a fact they will cause problems or infertility. All have said the pregnancy has every reason to go on normally. Also, I have read that something like 80% of women have them and don't even know it - some don't know til they actually get pregnant and have an ultrasound! Interesting stuff...

Good luck to you!

Closed Thread