It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User
some info about ovulation prediction

i had never heard anything about ovulation scopes until i started posting here. in fact my gyne told me that most of these ovulation prediction methods are overly costly and inaccurate. for instance, those OPKs that test the urine use a very indirect method to meausre ovulation. they measure your LH levels and apparently you can have several LH surges in your cycle and not be ovulating. when i went to him, i had been keeping a BBT and he said that's useless unless you pretty much sleep through the night. and i don't! i wake up at least once during the night to pee and drink water. mine looked almost backward with higher temps during the beginning of the month and lower ones toward the end.

to cut a long story short, he said that the most reliable way of predicting ovulation is CM. hope that helps some of you and saves you a few bucks. best of luck with your efforts and much baby dust coming your way

Old 02-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

laurabelle1317 HB User
Re: some info about ovulation prediction

I too wake up at least once in the middle of the night - usually around 5:30 or 6:00. So now I just set my alrm for 6am. Alarm goes off, I temp, then I get up to use the bathroom and then go back to sleep. That way I am always temping at the same time. I have liked the charting and always get a thermal shift after ovulation so I can tell when I have ovulated. It wo n't predict ovulation of coucrse, but will show you after the fact when you have ovulated. I have also confirmed this with OPKs and cm. Basically, no one method is 100% fool proof. But when several methods are used in combination, then one method can help confirm another method and confirm ovulation.

I bought 100 OPKs on an online auction for $26 (including shipping). So now I have all the OPKs I hope to ever need. So I found an inexpensive way of using OPKs. They also worked really really well for me.

I will say that I don't like the ovulation microscope. I had ferning for over a week - which is way too long. Then, when I actually did get closer to ovulation, I no longer had ferning. So that method did not work for me. But the others in combination work really well.

I think it is strange that your temps were almost backward. You could try doing what I do and set your alarm for the time that you normally wake up in the night anyway - as long as you get 3 hrs of sleep beforehand. If your temps are still way off then I would start to question if something is going on - like possible annovulatory cycles (which means no ovulation).

Additionally, the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility has been highly recommended by many posters. It is a very informative book to help increase the chances of conception using the various methods. You can buy it or usually get it at the library. It is worth it!

Still temping,
~Laura~
3DPO

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

I too use the bbt method and the o scope, the temping is easy and i also do mine at 6am when my body clock wakes me up, its allways an hour befor the alarm goes off, i use the o scope but am a novice at the moment as only used it for 2 months, but i see a pattern arriving, it all depends on what you yourself get on with better.

I also recommend the TCOYF book, like laurabelle said it is very informative and increases your chances of pregnancy, it also helps you to understand your body more.

GOOD LUCK

Last edited by sammieP; 02-25-2005 at 11:20 AM.

Old 02-25-2005, 01:30 PM   #4
(female)

jenzbugrulz1978 HB User

Wow thanks for the info!

Old 02-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

rayray9 HB User

the best way for me is by my CM and if it think it is right then i try an OPK. if it says positive then we BD like there is no tomorrow. its my first month TTC so we will see how well it works. i got lucky though this month for im kinda in-tune to my body and i actually get slight cramping for a few days and i can feel a couple of slight pinching in my ovaries. all this told me it was happening. the OPK just confirmed it. Just pay attention to your body. it knows best!! Good luck

Old 02-27-2005, 03:46 PM   #6

pgta5 HB User

I was wondering about this and glad to see a post. This is the first month that I have charted..i'm on cd15 and have had 3 dys of ewcm beginning day 11-14 but have not had a "thermal shift". I have been having mild cramps for 5 days now..opk was positive on cd12. DH and I bd on cd 8/9 and I am wondering if it is even possible for implatation to have occurred.My cycles are VERY regular. I guess I will just have to wait! I too wake up several times during the night (like 4-6). I am definately not getting 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep!

P

Closed Thread