It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2005, 05:22 AM   #1
(female)

aWorrier777 HB User
Odds of TTC

I read that the chances healthy couples have of concieving even when they do everything right at the exact right time is only 20-25%. Is that correct? It is just amazing how low the chances are. One would think if the were sure they were doing it at the right time, you would have much better odds.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

rayray9 HB User
Re: Odds of TTC

im not sure. i was wondering the same thing.
i thought it said that the chances of a women getting pregnant in a month cycle is 20-25% so im hoping it would be better than that. me and my DH bd'ed the exact night i ovulated. and the night after. so i think those odds should be higher. If anyone knows different i would sure like to know what my chances are of getting aBFP in a few weeks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

ray ray, to maximize your chances of BFP, you and your dh should have sex every other day for a week prior to ovulation as well on the day of and the day after. that way you have all your bases covered since sperm can live inside you for up to a week. it sounds like you're doing charting. so if you look at a couple months worth of charts you should be able to tell when you are going to ovulate and start BD like crazy a week before!!

Old 02-27-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

rayray9 HB User

well i did not know when i was to ovulate for my charting is way out of wack. i had no idea i would O for it as been so long since i had my period. but then all of a sudden in one day i had EWCM and a slight cramping and i decided to try an OPK and it said p+ so we BD then and the next day. so it is better to do it days before too? because the sperm build up or what?

Old 02-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
(female)

skl_1979 HB User

The odds are best if you start a few days before O. BD a week early may be a bad idea if your DH as a low count. As for the percentages there are people smarter than me figured this out so I will take their word for it. But when it comes so easy to some people and so hard for others I wonder if they tested enough people? Good luck and if you are having issues and he wears briefs you need to talk him into boxers or "running free".
-S

Old 02-28-2005, 12:42 PM   #6

Living4Him HB User

Rayray, when you get a + on the opk it means you will ovulate in 24-48 hrs. So I would definitely bd before and for a couple of days after the positive. If you chart you will see your temp go up which means you have ovulated.
Aworrier, as far as the 20-25% I don't think it applies to everyone (just an average). We became pregnant our first month trying, then the same with each one after (we have 5). Of course we were healthy and in our 20's then early 30's. Now in our late 30's it's not happening so fast. I think if you chart and time things well your chances should be pretty high. Good luck!!

Old 02-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

rayray9 HB User

so if i ovulated would the OPK still read P+ for i felt the release of the egg i think. maybe sound crazy but would it still read p+ the same day of ovulation or just days before? i did it that day and the day after.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

here4support HB User
Talking Re: Odds of TTC

Just thought I'd share my latest research:
From what I've researched having sex everyday isn't good. Whether you have a high sperm count or not. I just read recently in my Glamour magazine that men usually need 36 to 48 hours to restock a sufficent number of sperm after intercourse. Daily sex can mean that the man doesn't have enough sperm during the small window of time around ovulation. To prevent this from happening doctors advise having sex every other day during the span of days your fertile.

In any given month the chances of getting pregnant are 10-15% for a man and woman who are both under 35 and healthy and trying to conceive. AFter a year of trying 88% of such couples will be pregnant; after 2 years of trying 95% will be pregnant. On average, a couple of 30 year olds will take six months to conceive and a couple in which both are 35 will take nine months.

Cutting down on alcohol and caffine will help you conceive. Quitting smoking is also key. There are no magical positions, or days to have sex in order to conceive a boy or a girl

Last edited by here4support; 02-28-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Old 02-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

the opk will show a positive 24-36 hours before O. that is because it is not actually measuring O but the surge of LH in your body. and you get the LH surge a couple days before you ovulate. you can also have an lh surge but not o.that's why i said before that my doctor told me that opks are an "indirect " way of measuring O.
however, if you had EWCM as well as positive opk you should be in good shape.
as far as starting the bd a few days before you ovulate, that is because sperm can live for up to a week in your body,
in fact my sil got pregnant even though she and her dh did the bd more than a week before she ovulated. in fact they were not even ttc. they had a 6 month old and she was breastfeeding. so she thought that would act as a natural birth control. wrong!!
anyway, sounds like you have all your bases covered with the cm and positive opk. so the best of luck to you and i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! lots of baby dust coming your way

Old 02-28-2005, 07:01 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

rayray9 HB User

thank for answering my repetative questions. baby dust to you too!

Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

not a problem. i guess that is why we are here. to support one another

Old 03-01-2005, 08:27 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

rayray9 HB User

another question. i felt the overies i think releasing an egg so could i have a P+ on the OPK the same day of ovulation or does it have to be days before? i thought it was the exact day for what i felt my body doing? can that be?

Closed Thread