It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2005, 08:36 PM   #1

Bubsmomalso HB User
Need some info fairly fast please

Hello all,

I have never posted on the ttc board, but did post on the pregnancy board about a year and a half ago. Had another miscarriage back in August of 03 and pretty much stopped posting then, but have still been trying like crazy.

Anyway, now instead of trying to figure it all out on my own and hope for a BFP I decided to try some charting and read all I could find on the internet about increasing my chances.

So, now I have downloaded a chart and info, but am having a little trouble figuring out how to chart things. Let me tell you about me real quick and then ask my questions.

AF just started today. So, that would be cycle day one, right? I'm supposed to chart my cm info, but since I just started today do I worry about that at the moment, or do I wait for af to be over? If I do have to figure that out while on af, how do I go about finding that out or being able to tell what that is like? What about BBT? Same question, do I worry bout that now, or wait until af is over? Will a regular thermometer work or do I buy a special one?

What on earth is everyone talking about when they refer to taking robitussin or I've also heard recently using mucinex, that new medicine out now, to help their chances?

Also, I've had my thyroid taken out since last miscarriage and am wondering since I'm on synthroid and have my thyroid levels checked regularly, will not having a thyroid present a problem conceiving and carrying to full term?

I would love to completely avoid another miscarriage if at all possible so should I start taking vitamins now and maybe some extra folic acid?

Please, anyone who would like to share or who has any answers or advice, let me know. I figure the more advice I get, the better.

Thanks for your time and loads and loads of babydust to all.

-Bubsmom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User
Re: Need some info fairly fast please

Hi Bubs!
First off, I'm so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I can imagine how painful and disappointing that is.

I truly recommend you get the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. This book is AWESOME. It totally explains how to chart, what to look for in your CM and tons of other information on menstruation, timing intercourse, menopause, etc.

As for charting... yes, since you got your period today, that would be considered day one. If I were you, I would (if you don't already have one) go to the drug store and get a digital thermometer that accurately reads to the tenth of a degree. They're the most accurate and you can get one for like ten dollars.

You do not need to measure your CM during your period. I think it would be virtually impossible, anyway.

People often speak of Robitussin because there has been evidence that the main ingredient in it, guafenisin (sp?) thins out not only the mucus from a cold, but any fluid in your body, including cervical mucus. The theory is that thinner CM allow sperm to better swim to the egg. I tried this for the first time this month and will let you know if it worked!

The question about your thyroid I am not sure about. But ironically enough, I have an appointment with my doctor at 11 am today to discuss my thyroid. I am young and my husband and I have been trying for six months and I'm a little concerned (even though I know it's normal) that I'm not pregnant yet. My doctor told me several years ago that I was "borderline hypothyroid" and am wondering if maybe that is contributing to our problems and want to spare myself a whole year of trying if I can pin down a problem now.

Good luck and seriously, do consider buying that book. I was amazed when I read it at how much I didn't know about this whole process.

Take care!

Old 03-15-2005, 11:17 PM   #3

Bubsmomalso HB User

Hi Annie,

Thanks so much for the reply and the info. I think I'm going to go to the bookstore in the mall and see if they have that book. From everything I've read on other posts it seems like a must have to me.

So when exactly am I supposed to start taking the robitussin and how much of it? I'll try just about anything that won't kill me. I would love to know if it has helped anyone out or if it is just a theory.

My thyroid was extremely underactive and I had Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and a multi nodular goiter. It was getting hard to swallow my food even. It always felt like my food was stuck in my throat even when I wasn't eating. Luckily, when I had it taken out there was no cancer. I do feel much better now though that it is out. I feel like I can eat again. I am very fair complected though so even though my scar is tiny I can still see it quite well. I was hoping it would have faded at least some by now. It's been a year and five months.

Hope all is going well for you. How long have you been ttc? I have for almost four years, I think. Sometimes the time drags and sometimes it's gone before I know it.

Babydust to all,
Bubsmom

Old 03-16-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

skl_1979 HB User

Bubsmom,
AnnieinPA has more knowledge about charting than I do but I would also like to add the Complete guide to Conception and Pregnancy. Kind of "in your face" book but they make everything very simple to understand. And my neighbor has Hyperthyroid and just gave birth to her second child at Christmas and has been doing just fine. She was not on medicine with her first (didn't know what was going on) and always felt like dirt and just never wanted to do anything. She was on medicine with her second and has been just fine without a single problem. Two healthy kids and was pregnant without trying for either- so it happens! Good luck,
-S

Old 03-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
(female)

SangReal HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubsmomalso
Also, I've had my thyroid taken out since last miscarriage and am wondering since I'm on synthroid and have my thyroid levels checked regularly, will not having a thyroid present a problem conceiving and carrying to full term?
Not having a thyroid gland will not present a problem in conceiving and carrying a child to term, but after you conceive you DO need to have your T3, T4, and TSH checked periodically since the baby requires extra thyroid hormones that your body can't produce. If you make sure you have blood work regularly and that your doc adjusts your Synthroid accordingly, you should be absolutely fine on that end. Still, if you're uncomfortable with this, talk to your endo or OBGYN and he or she should be able to shed light.

Good luck conceiving!

<3 Mary

Old 03-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #6

Bubsmomalso HB User

SangReal and skl, thanks so much for the info. My thyroid level has been low about as long as I can remember and I have always had my levels checked often and have always been on meds. That didn't pose a problem when I had my first two kids, at a very young age. I guess since I no longer have a thyroid at all it kind of freaked me out. See, no one has told me why or if anything was wrong to make me have all these miscarriages, but I read a lot on the internet and found that being hypothyroid might have been the problem. Then because of other problems with it the dr. just went ahead and took it out.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that makes sense I guess I'm just scared, who knows. Man, why was it so easy to get pregnant when it not a good time to be pregnant and now it is so hard? It sucks.

Babydust
bubsmom

Closed Thread