It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2005, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

LMS1306 HB User
A Question about HCG Levels

Hi All,

Last Thursday I tested positive to 2 home pregnancy tests I was 12 days overdue and had tested negative up until then. My last period was the 28/01 and my cycle is usually between 28-30 days. That would put me between 6-7weeks pregnant at the moment. Does this nearly 2 week delay in getting the positive test mean that I am not as far along as I thought? The test I used claims to work just 7 days post conception (reading as little as 10mlU), but does this depend on the individual?

I went to my doctor today and he didn't bother with a urine test, instead sending me straight for a blood test. He said the blood test will tell him how far along I am. I this an accurate measure of how far along I am?

I started to get noticable symptoms last week. This is my second pregnancy and my last one was when I had 15+ week cycles and my dates were all mixed up right from the start. They were constantly changed and one scan said my son was due 15/8, then another said 22/8. He ended up being born 6/9. He was almost 11pounds and looked like he was already 3 months old. I really don't want dates to be an issue this time.

Baby dust to everyone TTC.

Lyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 03:26 PM   #2

Sonicboom HB User
Re: A Question about HCG Levels

HGC levels can vary dramatically in different women, for example from like 7,000 to 60,000 in week 8. You're obviously pregnant now, since HPTs don't give false positives. If your HGCs are off for whatever reason, your doc might do an ultrasound to measure the baby and determine how far along you are that way. If you don't know the day you O'd, you could be less far along than you thought you should be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2005, 03:48 PM   #3
(female)

LMS1306 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom
HGC levels can vary dramatically in different women, for example from like 7,000 to 60,000 in week 8. You're obviously pregnant now, since HPTs don't give false positives. If your HGCs are off for whatever reason, your doc might do an ultrasound to measure the baby and determine how far along you are that way. If you don't know the day you O'd, you could be less far along than you thought you should be.
Thank you for your response. In all honesty, I am not sure when I ovulated last month. Usually I get a lot of egg-white CM about 5-6 days after my period finishes (my period is only really short). Last month I didn't get any noticable CM so I was wondering if I had in fact ovulated. I tried to chart my cycle using temps, but found that hard to follow as I was having med increases for hypothyroidism, which was affecting my temperature. Amazing though, the month I least expect it to happen and it does.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

beanie_1122 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS1306
Hi All,

Last Thursday I tested positive to 2 home pregnancy tests I was 12 days overdue and had tested negative up until then. My last period was the 28/01 and my cycle is usually between 28-30 days. That would put me between 6-7weeks pregnant at the moment. Does this nearly 2 week delay in getting the positive test mean that I am not as far along as I thought? The test I used claims to work just 7 days post conception (reading as little as 10mlU), but does this depend on the individual?
Lyn

Hi There, I wanted to let you know that with my last pregnancy I didn't get a positive hpt till almost 2 weeks late goin by my records of AF. BUT when I had my 1st ultrasound and blood work done I was measuring 4 weeks ahead of what I figured! So I was actually 10 weeks pregnant when I found out and was actually bleeding while I was pregnant! My pregnancy ended at 14 weeks so I can't say rather or not my due date would have been changed several times or not. So best wishes to you!!!

Oh and something else I thought your hcg levels had to be at a certain level for every week you were at...I don't think they flucuate that dramatically, but I could be wrong!

Last edited by beanie_1122; 03-14-2005 at 09:38 PM.

Closed Thread