It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
(female)

ferndm HB User
BBT Charting Question.......

I have heard many people say, and read on the internet, that is your temperature stays elevated for 18 consecutive days, then there is a good chance that you're pregnant.
But what specifically do they consider elevated?? Thanks!

Old 03-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User
Re: BBT Charting Question.......

i am assuming you dont know how to temp? you start temping (best time is when you first start your period, and MUST be done first thing in the morning before talking, moving, etc, in other words, prepare the thermometer the night before, then have it at your bedside in a place where you will have to move very little to reach it)....your temp will be low during the first half of your cycle, then when ovulation is about to occur, there will be a dip in the temperature, then a rise. its different with each woman....so you will have to do it a few months to get in tune with your body and its temp ranges. one thing to remember about the rising of temps....some women drop temps immediately after ovulation...some a few days after, some just a day or two PRIOR to their period, some the day of their period...some after their period has started. so if you see a rise in temp and it stays high...even for longer than 18 days...that does not necessarily mean that you are pg. this is the way mine is...i got real excited the first month...cause i didnt know when my temps would drop...and when it got to be cycle day 28 (mine range from 24 days to 36 days)...I was really excited...but then got my period and thats when my temp dropped. so high temps doesnt always mean pregnancy has occurred.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2005, 09:32 AM   #3
(female)

DDB HB User
Re: BBT Charting Question.......

Hi there - Unfortunately, you can't just take your temperature once and know it is elevated. You have to be charting for the whole month. If you do that, you will be able to follow the instructions for drawing your "coverline", which is something like 0.1 degrees above the highest temp in the last 6 days - and you can only draw this after your temps have been up for about 3 days. So once you have ovulated, your temps are elevated & you have drawn your coverline (which is basically the line that separates the temps pre-ovulation & post-ovulation), then if you have temps above the coverline for at least 18 days (although your temp may drop below it for a day or two here or there), you may be pregnant. Generally, after ovulation, your morning temp will rise at least 0.2 degrees higher than the highest temperature in the previous 6 days, but as the the previous poster mentioned, everyone's body is different. Your temp will stay up if you are pregnant or will go back down around the time you get your next period if you are not pregnant.

Hope that helps!

Closed Thread