It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
(female)

kellic2000 HB User
New to this board ? re PCOD and metforman

Hi all, just came over here from the pregnancy boar after finding out that I wasn't pregnant after i was so sure I was. Turns out I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Disease (PCOD) and that is why I haven't had a period in 4 goig on 5 months. That was after a month of blood tests, Dr. apointments and ultrasounds. I've talked to the Dr. yesterday about my test results now that they are all in. While I show many small cysts and one large cyst on my right ovary, she says it doesn't seem to be affecting my hormone levels too badly, though they are off a bit. She has suggested possible trying a drug called metformin (sp) used for diabetes that is supposed to regulate my cycles and help us get pregnant. I was wondering if anyone here has tried this drug and what your experiences with it were. Thanks,

Kelli

Old 03-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User
Re: New to this board ? re PCOD and metforman

hi kelli,
i was just diagnosed with pcos three weeks ago. since then i've been taking 1000mg of metformin a day. right now i'm waiting for af and will start 50mg of clomid next cylce.
i was really suprised about my diagnosis because i don't have any outward signs of the condition.
i was really tired the first week that i was on the medicine but feel fine now. aside from some bathroom problems (doing #2 several times a day , sorry tmi!) i've been fine. i can't really drink anymore because even 1 drink makes me really really tired. but i shouldn't be drinking anyway since dh and i are ttc. by the way, we've been ttc since november. i went off the pill then and never had a normal period after that. i had i1 very long cycle (over 40 days ) and my next af had to be induced with provera.that's how i got diagnosed.
check out the infertility board too because there are ladies there who are dealing with this as well. please ask me any questions you want or write back if you need support or just someone to talk to. i've been down a lot since receiving the news that i have pcos. it's nice to talk to someone who is going through the same thing. i've also been getting a lot of support from soul*******.
well, take care and talk to you soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 05:23 AM   #3
(female)

kellic2000 HB User

Thank You for replying. I've known I had cysts for years, I had an Ultrasound done at 19 (I'm 28 now) before I went on the pill to find out why my cycles had always been so irregular. They found small cysts, but said it was nothing to worry about. As long as I was on the pill, I was regular, but I've been off it for 5 years now and my periods went back to every other month or so. Hubby and I have been TTC (well, not trying specifically, but not preventing either, just letting nature take its course). I havn't had a/f since November and thought I must be p/g but then after all the tests found out it was the cysts. Dr. says it's nothing to worry about since my hormone levels aren't too bad, unless we want to conceive, then I will have to go on the drugs.

Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 AM   #4
(female)

princess2150 HB User

I'm 37 years old and have never been pregnant. But I hadn't been trying. I always had regular periods and wasn't on birth control pills. Last August, when I had my period, it wouldn't stop bleeding (25 days - very heavy).

I had bloodwork and an ultrasound (I was found to have one very small functional cyst). So my OB-GYN put me on Megace (40mg/day for 10 days). I was on the medication for 3 months and my periods went back to normal.

My husband and I decided we wanted to start trying to conceive in February. AF came on time in February, but then I haven't had it since. So I went to the doctor last week and he said that he doesn't think I'm ovulating. Therefore, he put me on Metformin (500mg 3 times a day) to help ovulation, plus Provera for the next 10 days to jumpstart my period.

I have gained a lot of weight over the last year. So I decided to go low-carb while on these medications.

The doctor didn't say that I have PCOS, but by the symptoms of most people in this forum, it seems I might.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
(female)

NatalieJ HB User

HI,
I am 29 y/o. I have PCOS. I do take the metformin for my pcos. It takes a while to get use to but will hep in ttc. I tried the 1st time to conceive with metformin and clomid. It did not work, so then I had to gibve myself injections in the tummy with Repronex. We concieve triplets. I went into preterm labor and delivered 20 weeks early. I had an incomotent cervix. After the loss of those babies we tries agaion and were successful with just clomid and metformin. I had a cerlage to keep my cervix "tied" shut and gave birth to a healthy baby girl in 2003. It is possibel to concieve, Educate yourself as much a possible w/ pcos. Find a good dr who is familair w/ theis disease and ttc. Hope this helps!!.. Natalie

Closed Thread