It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2005, 03:49 AM   #1
(female)

LJ56 HB User
Am I pregnant? I'm 7 weeks post m/c.

I had a m/c 2/22 when I was 7 weeks pregnant and I bled for 7 days and then spotted off and on for the next 2 days. I stupidly tried to feel better by drinking on 2/25 with my bf and we both got pretty drunk. Around 3-4 am 2/26 we had sex which I know that I shouldn't have done with the m/c happening but we weren't thinking clearly with the alcohol and the grief that we both felt. So that was the last time I had sex because he deployed to Iraq a week after that. So recently I noticed that I'm pretty bloated and actually can feel a hardening when I press in on my pelvic area. I've gotten a little bit nauseaus but that could also be because I haven't heard from my bf in a week and a half because he is convoying up to Iraq from Kuwait and has no way of communicating. I had what I thought was my period on 3/23 but it lasted 10 days and was mostly spotting and very brown only a couple times when I wiped it was red. So I just took a pregnancy test and a very faint line showed up within 2 minutes. I used first response and when I went back to look it was there for about 10 minutes. Now I went back to look at it again and it showed only one line (it has been about 15 minutes). So just want to know what you all thought. Am I pregnant? I have to wait to test again and the suspense is killing me. According to my period I would be almost 7 weeks but according to the day I had sex I would be almost 9 weeks. I would love to be pregnant again even though it is not the right time and if I were to lose this baby too I don't know how I would be able to survive it especially with my bf not here. Any thoughts would be appreciated! TIA!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
(female)

SangReal HB User
Re: Am I pregnant? I'm 7 weeks post m/c.

Honey, I don't know. My first instinct is to say that you should assume you are pregnant until you know otherwise, staying away from alcohol and such. Questions:

Did you ever see two lines? If two lines never appeared at the same time, depending on which line didn't show up, the test is either invalid or you are not pregnant.

Did you use your first morning urine? I know the test says you don't have to, but that's the most accurate way to do it.

The instructions say to read the test after three minutes. If you are pregnant, two lines should appear. This is from their website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstResponse Website
Q: Will the result change if left standing for certain period of time?
A: The result should be read as soon as possible after waiting 3 minutes. A positive result will last for at least 48 hours. A negative result should not be read after 10 minutes.
I'm not sure what it's saying, but maybe it will help you or others figure out what's going on.

My advice? Test again, and if in doubt, see your doctor. You said you thought you might have had AF on 3/23, but this is an unusual situation because you are not sure when your last period was since you had the m/c and stuff. Hope all is well and you get the result you want!

<3 Mary

P.S. By the way, I just want to say how much I admire your courage and strength in living day-to-day as your boyfriend serves our country and the world in the farthest reaches of the earth. God bless both of you.

Last edited by SangReal; 04-15-2005 at 07:53 AM.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #3
(female)

LJ56 HB User

I just posted an entire message that closed on me so I'm gonna try this again.

Mary Thank you so much. I must be pregnant because I cried when I read your p.s. It is very hard without my bf here but I just have to keep going because I can't do anything else. The only part that worries me is that he will probably not be here for the birth if I am pregnant and he won't be able to see the baby until the baby is probably 4 months old.

When I used first response I got 2 lines together after about 2 minutes. The first line to show that the test worked was bright but the second line was faint and stayed there until I checked on it for the 4th time after 15 minutes when it disappeared. I read what was on the website and it worries me because a + result should stay for at least 48 hours and it didn't. I technically used FMU. I didn't go to bathroom after 10 pm and woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep because I had to pee so it was about 6 hours in there.

So today I went to planned parenthood and got a urine test there but there was only about 2 hours between bathroom breaks and it came back negative. I went to the store later and picked up 3 ept tests and took one when I got home and there was about 4 hours between using the bathroom. It came out with both lines pretty light but the minus line was darker than the plus line. But this one is still there as a +. So I went back to planned parenthood to get a blood test that doesn't come back until tomorrow afternoon or thursday (they are closed on wednesday ). So I still have 2 epts that I plan on using one tomorrow morning with FMU and just waiting on the results of all these tests. I have to make an appt with an OB/GYN either way because I am due for my annual checkup anyway.

The problem is that people are telling me that it may be coming up positive as a result of my m/c. I lost all symptoms about 2 weeks after m/c and within the last week they are coming back but different this time. I have been very bloated and irregular too. I have horrible headaches and spider veins are coming out on my thighs. My breasts have a tingling sensation but not too much yet. I have been getting nauseas the past few days but that could also be that I'm worried about my bf as he is convoying up to Iraq from Kuwait. I've been feeling very full too. So who knows.. until the results come back it's a mystery. I'm just going to act like I am pregnant because I've already had a few drinks since I would have been pregnant and I don't want to do anything to cause me to lose this baby. I don't know how I would get through that without my bf here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I'll keep updating as I find things out.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #4

caedmyn HB User

I would think it is highly unlikely that you are pregnant...I think it is very rare to ovulate so soon after a miscarriage. However, I also wouldn't think that HCG would stay in your system for such a long time after a reasonably early miscarriage. Did you get the kind of blood test that measures how much HCG you have in your system (not just whether there is any)? If you did and your levels are low, that would probably indicate that you still have some HCG left in your system from your miscarriage. If you are now several weeks pregnant your levels should be quite high.

This is probably more confusing than helpful...but anyway, good luck!

Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #5
(female)

dolphin27 HB User

When my mother had her m/c she fell pregnant like 8-10 weeks after. So I would say it is a definite possibility. Her pregnancy after her miscarriage went just fine. So keep your fingers crossed

Old 04-13-2005, 01:23 PM   #6

Sonicboom HB User

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

Your HGC levels could still be high. EPTs are sensitive enough to read positive with only a level of 25, so in the case of m/cs "false positives" are a possibility. I too would also think it highly unlikely that you had ovulated only 3 days after a miscarriage. The first AF after an m/c is also not predictable. Some people spot for 10 days (like you), some people bleed heavier than they ever have.

I'd advise that you see your doctor and have them test your HGCs twice, so they can see if they are dropping or increasing (if they're increasing then you're pregnant, if they aren't then it's probably still your body adjusting to your m/c).

Old 04-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #7
(female)

LJ56 HB User

I got a blood test done and it came back negative for hcg but I was still getting positive urine tests. I went to planned parenthood for the blood test and they told me that it is possible to still have hcg in my urine but it's out of my blood and I'm not pregnant. I'm not sure how that is possible to be in my urine but not my blood. I would think that it would be very low and going to zero in both not just my urine. I have an appt with my ob/gyn on Tuesday to see what is going on and get my annual exam. I'm just a little bit confused at all of this especially since I haven't had any symptoms and everything seemed to be fine and now there is still some hcg in my urine. I guess I'll just have to wait until Tuesday to find out what is going on. Thanks for your responses!

Old 04-15-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
(female)

SangReal HB User

Hon, after thinking about it a while, I have to agree: you're probably not pregnant. I didn't realize how far along you said you were with the first pregnancy when you had the m/c or I wouldn't have encouraged you quite so much. I also didn't realize how far along you thought you were. I'm a horrible person. Can you ever forgive me?

First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss. If you were seven weeks pregnant when you had your miscarriage, you could still have a little hormone left in your system. And if you are seven to ten weeks past your last sexual encounter, your HCG should be well into the thousands. If it's not, you're just not pregnant.

Look at it this way: when you DO get pregnant again, at least your bf will be there to support you and be around for the baby from the very beginning. It would have been hard going through a pregnancy without his full support, I know. Baby dust to you in the future, when it's the right time.

Love,

Mary

Old 04-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
(female)

LJ56 HB User

Mary,

Thank you for your response and encouragement. I didn't think I was pregnant either. I was just really confused on why it was still coming back + especially since it had come back negative for a while and then all of a sudden it's coming back positive again. I definitely agree that this would not be an ideal situation at all. My bf wouldn't even get to see the baby until he/she was 4 months old at least. But I always believe that a baby is a blessing and will come at the right time. I have just never gone through anything like this before. But I guess I'll get more answers when I go back to the doctors on Tuesday. I even feel like my period is going to start any day now. It's due Wednesday so I'm would still be regular with my cycle if what I'm feeling is PMS symptoms so I guess that is a good thing. So thank you for your support. Hopefully when he gets back I'll be back trying AFTER we get married! I would prefer to do things the old fashioned way!

Thanks,
Laura

Old 04-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #10
(female)

tamaraheiner HB User

that's a good idea, Laura. the old fashioned way isn't such a bad idea after all. good luck.

Closed Thread