It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

tanyalynne71 HB User
Irregular periods & TTC

Hey all...
Well for starters I have been obese all of my life...and ever since I can remember my periods have always been irregular...sometimes even non-existant..My question is..Has anyone gotten pregnant with irregular periods?

Thanks!
Tanya

Old 04-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
(female)

Amink HB User
Re: Irregular periods & TTC

it sounds liek you may have PCOS.

try googling PCOS I am sure you will get some great hits.

unfortunatly due to board rules I am not allowed to refer you anywhere.

I was dx'ed with PCOS, my symptoms are obesity, irregular periods, insulin resistance. We are still TTC, but it give me hope now that I have cycles.

Ami

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 AM   #3

caedmyn HB User

My mom always had irregular periods and had three kids, it just took a while for her to get pregnant each time.

You could try taking Vitex (chaste berry), which helps regulate hormones and may help your periods to be more regular. I know it has helped at least one person on this board who has PCOS.

I would also definitely recommend going to your doctor and being checked for PCOS. If you do have it, you can work on treating it right away, without going through trying to conceive for a long time and then wondering what is wrong. And a doctor can prescribe Clomid to help you ovulate, even if you don't have PCOS.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2005, 08:11 AM   #4
(female)

dolphin27 HB User

I had irregular periods, along with being tested for PCOS I also had my thyroid checked. I was determined to be hypothyroid. With the medication for the thyroid alone, my periods came back pretty regularly. As far as it helping you with TTC, I don't know. I haven't been on it that long, and I haven't been really trying that hard. I did see a gyno about taking fertility pills, and with me being obese, he said I would have to loose a great deal of weight before he would give me any. Depending on how obese you are you might have to work with getting your weight down before a doctor might aid you in getting pregnant. And trust me when you have hypothyroid and PCOS loosing weight is one of the toughtest things to do. I hope for your sake it is not PCOS. Good Luck!!

Old 04-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #5
(female)

tanyalynne71 HB User

Thank you all sooooo much for answering...I am going to call my doctor tomorrow...at least i know what direction to go in now..Thank you so so much!

Old 04-20-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

nastabasta HB User

hi tanyalynne,
i also have pcos and my periods are very irregular and my cycles are really long. i was just daignosed with pcos a couple months ago and right now i'm taking a drug called metformin that treats the insulin-resistance that a lot of pcos women have. it's been shown to restore periods and ovulation and even help with weight loss in some patients. once my period comes i will be taking clomid too ,,, a fertility drug that induces ovulation.

good luck to you and i hope you find the answers you are looking for at your appt.

Closed Thread