It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2005, 06:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User
Temp changes and cm

Just wondering if anyone can relate info regarding cm and bbt changes. I have been kind of all over the board on my temps but usually 97.5. I dropped down early in the week but was sleeping in a cool house. It went back up for a few days and my cm became wet, then slippery and then some ewcm. Yesterday the temp dropped to 97.2 and today it was 97.7. But know my cm is opaque and not stretchy at all. Does this indicate ovulation?
Second question, more for future reference, if the temp change happened today and the cm has disappeared when would I have to have bd'd in order to likely conceive?
Thanks.

Old 06-12-2005, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User
Re: Temp changes and cm

Hi, well it is stated that when your BBT drops and then rises the next day, with 3 consecutive days of being high then that is when you most likely ovulated (the day of the drop) then your temp needs to remain high for 14+ days, you may get af before this though but if not and you are still waiting for af then on day 15-18 is advisable you do a pg test.

For good chances of concieving it is recommended that you bd 3 days prior to ovulation and a couple of days after (that is just to give you better chances), ovulation can be anything form 8 days after the first day of bleeding to 18 days or more so i recommend bd every other day from day 8 untill you know you have ovulated.

Hope this is of some help

P.S Dont forget - we dont all ways ovulate (known as annovulation) so your temps and cm are the best ways to predict ovulation, it took me 70 days to ovulate!

Last edited by sammieP; 06-12-2005 at 07:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 07:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

{removed} I to felt so iggnorant and unfammiliar with my body untill i came to this board.

Everyone is so helpfull here though and most of the time questions are answered.

Good luck to both of you

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 06-12-2005 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Response to deleted post.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:50 AM   #4

caedmyn HB User

BBT doesn't always drop the day that you O, so you can't really count on a dip meaning that you are going to O that day, although your BBT should always rise after O'ing. Mine was 97.6 the day I O'd and 98.2, I think, the day afterward.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Ah, sorry for giving wrong info, took what the book said the wrong way, but it does say once 3 days above cover line then you can take it that you ovulated the day before the rise.

Good luck

Old 06-12-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
(female)

Rachel ann HB User

THat is what I read about O- that it tends to be elevated for a day or two after it happens. I did not hear it could drop the day of O. I took my temp today and it was 98.6 (highest reading I've had all week). I think I O yesterday or Friday. {Removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 06-12-2005 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Please make your own seperate post for your questions so the original poster can get their questions answered.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Wow...I go to church and you ladies all come out with advice!! Thanks.
I am still unsure of whether I have ovulated but I should be able to tell soon I guess.
How long should you take your temp? I've tried a few ways...usually though I take it 2-4 times with a digital and round out the numbers because I noticed that without moving at all my temp has changed when repeating it more than once.
I haven't tried any ovulation kits or meds to increase my odds. I am really only trying to figure out what is up now that I have had a m/c. If I conceive, so be it but I need to have an idea what goes on with my body. Two months ago I was 6 days late but not ttc. Last month I felt pregers, tested on day 30, got a bfn but AF didn't arrive and my pregers symptoms were bad. At day 39 I got a faint positive but something arrived on day 40...I guess a m/c. The doctor was vague but indicated the faint positive occured because of lack of hormone and impending m/c.
Anyway, one more question? Is there any chance of conceiving if you bd after O? I read that once you have the chances are slim since it takes too long to 'swim' up there?

Old 06-13-2005, 08:58 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Location: Minnesota, just moved from California where I lived my whole life.
polarized13 HB User

Hi Jordyn,

Nice to see you over here, I guess this means were recovering from our m/cs, and moving forward, this is a good thing...

From what I've read, and what they tell me at my R.E.'s office, you should have IC every other day around the time of ovulation. And try and abstain up until ovulation time, (usually around day 10-13) The egg can stay there for up to three days, and also sperm can live and stay for up to three days waiting for the egg to drop, so this does give you some leeway in your time table.

You should elevate your pelvis slightly after bd, with one pillow, and stay laying down for 20 minutes if possible to give the little guys time to get up there and do their thing. You don't want to elevate yourself too much, or the sperm can get stuck at your cervix and not make it to their destination. You also don't want to stand up right away and make them fight against gravity to make it to the egg.

I followed that criteria and got pregnant right away. It was easy for me to tell when I was ovulating because my temp dropped all the way down to 95.3 before ovulation.

Good luck, and keep me posted and let me know how you're doing, I will answer any other questions you have if I can.

Baby dust to you!!

~~heather~~

Ps ~ don't let your man near a hot tub, it will fry the little guys, (unless it's 100 degress or less) and make sure he's wearing boxers instead of briefs so he's not getting too hot down there. He needs to literally 'keep cool'

Last edited by polarized13; 06-13-2005 at 09:08 AM. Reason: whoops ~ got my numbers mixed up!

Old 06-13-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Hey Heather!
Knew we'd meet up again soon!
Funny you mention hottubs...can't imagine them in this heat!!! I am so ready for the heat wave to be over where we are!!! Dh is only a boxer wearer now...thanks to me...except in shorts...don't really want to go there!!!!
I hadn't heard that the egg could stay for 3 days before or about lying on your side until I came here. I know I did known of those things with my first, didn't really have a clue about O either...funny how it works sometimes and not others.
My temps are staying up (97.9 today) so I am sure I did O. We did bd'd a few times around O and again yesterday...as I told you earlier...I'm not actively trying this month but doing nothing to stop it either. I figure I can explain away things colourfully to the doctor if we do conceive since she advised against it yet due to the recent m/c. I feel so good now and don't want to wait ...if something bad happens I guess I"ll have to live with it.
Cm question now...yesterday it was creamy and tacky...sort of drying up. Today it is wet again, some what stretchy but not at all ewcm. Any thoughts?
How long till you ttc again?

Old 06-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Actually the egg doesnt hang around for three days once O occurs the egg is only viable for about 24 hours give or take a few hours.
Second you dont have to hold off on sex until O that is actually not a good idea at all. It is actually better for the guy and sperm not to abstain it gives a chance for freasher sperm.
Read the book Taking Charge Of Your Fertility. It is truly one of the best books out there even if you arent TTC because it can teach you soe much about your body.
As for the dip indicating O that doesnt happen to all women...I have charted many times and never had a dip before or during O.
When taking your temps for BBT you take your temp first thing in the morning before you get out of bed. The same time every morning with at least 3 hours of undisturbed sleep. Again read that book and it will give you all the information you need to properly chart.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 06-13-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
(female)

Rachel ann HB User

It is a great book, I've been reading it. Yes, sperm can survive for 3 days (maximum 5) if in the right environment. It mentions that the earlier you TTC before O, the more likely you could conceive a girl whereas the later or closer to the actual day of O you TTC, you are more likely to conceive a boy. This is all coming from the book. I'm hoping for the BFP in 2 weeks. Baby dust to all

Old 06-13-2005, 02:35 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I'll have to look into getting that book the next time I am in the city...pretty rural where I live.
I was pretty sure that bd'ing before O was the best idea and by watching temps and cm it is easier for some women to tell when it will occur. For me this month it was day 20 or 21 which is late but things have been wonky with my body. I did have a drop in temp and then the highest temp reading I'd had yet but before that my temps had jumped around abit and I am wondering if that is because I don't always take it at the same time and have gotten out of bed with ds less than 3 hours before. I get up to work out 3-4 mornings a week and take my temp those days 30 or so earlier than on other days. Will this effect my readings that much? Any idea in which direction?
Also wondering how cm changes after O? Yesterday it was creamy, white and pastie sort of but today it was wet, almost ewcm but not quite. Dh and I did do the bd yesterday though....any thoughts?

Old 06-13-2005, 03:59 PM   #13
(female)

Rachel ann HB User

The book goes in to some detail about the timing of TTC- prior to O- but with definite CM- wet- sticky- would be more conducive to sperm survival if O wasn't for a few days. The trick is to do it early enough before O- but not so early that the sperm would die off. The hardiest sperm (and again, this is all coming from the book) are female. They are able to sustain a longer wait for O to occur whereas male sperm are more likely to result in conception closer to O. The book mentions that most people don't conceive right at or very near to O, hence, more female babies. But you are right in that the CM is one of the best indicators that O is approaching. I myself experience sharp pain in either one of my ovaries- coupled with EWCM. I'm doing research as to whether the pain occurs right before O, during or after. Any info is appreciated. From what I read, CM tends to dry up shortly after O- I am certain I O'd on Friday/Saturday, and then saw an elevation in my temp. I had some wet CM- more like the kind I had prior to O, but it's really lessening. My temp is still elevated. I just bought an OTC PTK and will check 4 days before I expect AF. On another thread I questioned whether BBT should remain elevated if one is pregnant and received a response that it would be but may possibly experience a drop around time of implantation, but then BBT would rise again. You should definitely invest in the book, I'm learning more then I ever imagined, andif it helps me get pregnant, even better!!! Baby dust your way

Old 06-13-2005, 04:15 PM   #14
(female)

Rachel ann HB User

Sorry, I don't think I answered your question. BBT should be taken every morning as soon as you wake-up, but prior to any activity. You should have at least 3 hours of sleep in order for the BBT to be accurate. I think if you can do this (and someone may disagree), regardless of whether a few mornings you awaken a little earlier, it is pretty reliable. Good luck

Old 06-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #15

caedmyn HB User

If you were saying that you take your temp 30 minutes earlier some days, that shouldn't throw it off enough to worry about it. You should still be able to detect when you O.

Closed Thread