It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

FairyMagick HB User
Wink Robitussin info

Hi,
I was skeptical about the whole Robitussin thing, so I did some looking into it. What I found is that this suggestion was given to woman taking "Clomid" because this drug can interfere with the ability of the cervical mucus glands to be stimulated by estrogen and produce fertile mucus. Dry cervical mucus may develop in the days preceding ovulation, so Robitussin was suggested to improve the cervical mucus.
I had been wondering about Robitussin for a while because I read many things saying it in fact didn't help and that it was a "old wife's tail" There are so many using it and inquiring about it, so I wanted to get to the bottom of it lol. At least I know where this idea came from now. What I gather is that for woman who are not on fertility drugs, taking Robitussin isn't needed. IMO I'm still not totally convinced it would work for any reason, but I thought I would pass on what I learned anyway
Baby dust

Last edited by FairyMagick; 09-14-2005 at 12:43 AM.

Old 09-14-2005, 04:49 AM   #2

lexdc1 HB User
Re: Robitussin info

Well, in "Taking Charge of your Fertility" by Toni Weschler, she says that it works the same way on your cervical fluid as it does with any congestion in your lungs (like a bad cold). So, to make a long story short, she says take it if you have a low about of fertile cervical fluid. But, you have to take the right one...there's a special ingredient and I forget the name now, but if anyone wants to know I'll look it up, just post a reply to me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

marriot HB User

Take the expectorant version.

Old 09-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I have a low cm amount and consistency...never very much ewcm. I took both robitussin this month and epo and I couldn't believe how much I had...even after O. So perhaps it is meant for others even those not on clomid.

Old 09-14-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
(female)

still_trying HB User

Hi there,
I was just wondering, I will be starting clomid in about 10 days but I can't get Robitussin expectorant where I live. I have seen some mention of evening primrose oil. Anyone know how to use this, how much, how long, etc...
Thanks for any help.

Old 09-14-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

I use them both and take epo starting on day one of my cycle and take about 3000 mg per day...my capsules are 1000mg strength. The first month I took it I only took 1000 mg and it didn't really do anything different so I increased it and what a change.
As for robitussin, have you tried just looking for any expectorant cough syrup. I use generic store brand that I get at the grocery store in a really rural area of Ontario. You just have to look for the ingredient, which at this moment I can't remember how to spell it but it starts with gua I believe.
Good luck to you!!!

Old 09-14-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

sammieP HB User

Personally i think anything is worth a try

Being a Clomid user i would say that i have seen a difference in my CM, i stupidly forgot to take it this month and i deffinately have noticed a difference in what i am producing

Good luck and sprinklings of baby dust to you ~~~xxx~~~

Last edited by sammieP; 09-14-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #8
(female)

still_trying HB User

Thank you so much for the information. I will definitly try both.

baby dust all over!

Old 09-20-2005, 04:56 AM   #9
(female)

still_trying HB User

You just have to look for the ingredient, which at this moment I can't remember how to spell it but it starts with gua I believe.
Good luck to you!!![/QUOTE]

I just bought Formula 44 plus. It's an expectorant with the active ingrediant guaifenesin. Is this the ingredient? I should start taking it soon so I want to make sure I get the right kind. Otherwise I only can find the children's cough syrup.

Thanks for the help!

Baby dust to all!

Last edited by still_trying; 09-20-2005 at 04:57 AM.

Old 09-20-2005, 07:25 AM   #10
(female)

Marie M HB User

I have heard that there was some sort of research done that says it doesn't help, but I think this: the people who did the research probably didn't specify if they had the expectorant version or not. If it's not an expectorant, it will NOT help, i've even heard it might do the opposite! But yes, the Expectorant version is supposed to do the same thing that it does for chest congestion. It thins out your mucus and makes it easier to breath, and it also happens to thin out/make more abundant your cervical mucus so that it can more redily accept sperm, which also can possibly make them live longer. So I belive that the stuides where people where skeptical of it, they possibly didn't know about the expectorant and used the other or both kinds? That's just my thought.

Closed Thread