It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
(female)

shamrockcb HB User
blood test before ttc?

Hi everyone, a few months ago I read that you should get a blood test before TTC but I can't recall where I read that and why you would need to have that done. A friend of mine just had some tests after finding out she was pregnant (for various diseases and such), but are certain blood types incompatible with your significant other or something when planning a family? Sorry if I sound ignorant, just trying to obtain some accurate information.
Thanks in advance

{removed}

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 10-27-2005 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Off Topic

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 08:29 AM   #2

lexdc1 HB User
Re: blood test before ttc?

I know that when I found out I was pregnant the first time, they tested to make sure that I was immunized against diseases that could harm the baby like Rubella.

You really want to have all your immunizations in order before you get pg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2005, 09:07 AM   #3
(female)

greenjppixie HB User

I've read that they will sometimes want to check to make sure your immune to MMR (measles,mump,rubella). If you're not then they will immunize you and you have to wait 3 months, I think, before you can try. I don't think that is routine though. You do want to make sure that you have that at least that vaccine is current.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
(female)

uagirl7 HB User

I went for my preconception counseling in August before we started TTC and she sent me to get tested to see if I was immune to Rubella. I didn't know if that was common or not.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
(female)

pengdent HB User

From my understanding this is a new school of thought they are trying to push. I found out about it from the books and requested a preconceptual visit with my PCP. That's when I found out I never had chickenpox/and never immunized. So I had to get two series of shots, two months apart. I couldn't start TTC until 3 months past the second shot. Then I found out through my OBGYN that your partner and you should be tested genetically to see if he is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis and Tay Sachs. While this previously applied to people of northern european descent, modern day tests encourage people from all ethnic backgrounds to do it. Hope this helps

Closed Thread