It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

how to avoid UTI while TTC?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #1
Catie
(female)

Catie HB User
how to avoid UTI while TTC?

I seem to be prone to getting UTI's, and my dr. has always told me to get up and pee immediately after intercourse so as to wash away any harmful bacteria. I knew it was helpful when the one time I didn't do it I immediately got a UTI.

So now, while TTC, I'm wondering how essential it is to lie there with your hips elevated for the recommended 20 minutes. I'm afraid that if I do that I'll get another UTI. But I also want to get pregnant, so I don't know what to do! Surely all the sperm don't get washed out if you go to the bathroom?

Does anyone have advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Catie
(female)

Catie HB User
Re: how to avoid UTI while TTC?

Anyone?

I basically just need to know if you have to lie still with your hips elevated after bd'ing in order to get pregnant. And if so, how long are you supposed to stay there?

Thanks!

Old 11-12-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
steph66
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

I never had a problem with getting a uti while ttc. Maybe you should try drinking a ton of water and a couple of cranberry juices to try and clean out your system. Thats what i do and i havent had one at all for a long time. I usually drink almost 100 ounces of water and at least one bottle of cranberry juice a day. I would try that and see if it works for you!

Old 11-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
rounsy222
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

Steph has a good idea about the cranberry juice. I used to get UTI's all the time, sex I would go to the bathroom after right away, but started drinking cranberry juice alot more often and I havent had one in a few years. I also mix it with 7up so it tastes even better. Also I dont really think its important to lay in bed with your hips up, Ive never had one doctor tell me to do that, but they did make me lay down for 20 minutes after my IUI, but they didnt make me elevate. I would try the Cranberry juice Idea first, plus laying in bed after doesnt hurt anything and if you get a UTI well you get one. Alot of pregnant women get them so its not going to hurt anything if you do end up pregnant.
Thats just my opinion
Meg

Old 11-16-2005, 01:55 PM   #5
lahsgirl03
(female)

lahsgirl03 HB User

The Cranberry juice helps alot when you get UTI's alot. I have had a UTI like 5 times in less then 6 months. After I got used to dinking Cranberry Juice, it didn't show up as much. I usually urinate after BDing becasue I really have to go or I feel like I should so I won't get another UTI. I have not heard of laying there for a while. Maybe it is because I am so new at this. But there are lots of different flavors of Cranberry Juices and you can, like said above, mix it with 7up or Sprite. Take Care.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM   #6
Hellokitty1973
Veteran
(female)

Hellokitty1973 HB User

I used to get UTI's pretty frequently from intercourse, so I can totally understand. I just lie there after BD for maybe 5 minutes, then go to the bathroom. I got pregnant in May just after trying a few months - so I guess it works! (unfortunately I m/c in July.. but am back TTC again!)

Good luck!

Closed Thread