It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board

trying for baby number 3

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
marriedwivkids
Inactive
(female)

marriedwivkids HB User
trying for baby number 3

i am 20, married with a 20 month old daughter and 9 month old son and me and my husband have decided to try for our third as we didn't get the chance to experience the trying part before as the other 2 were not exactly planned. {removed} also, what can i do or take to help me conceive? i am due my period on 18th December and have just stopped the birth control pill, so i won't know how long my cycles are. i have ordered some ovulation test strips but when do i start using them? i would appreciate all your help people. thank you for reading this and i look forward to hearing from you

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 12-14-2005 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Please post removed question on the appropriate board.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Heyknack
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heyknack HB User
Re: trying for baby number 3

How exciting for you that you are planning your 3rd baby! Anyway, you are young and probably pretty fertile, you may not need much help conceiving, especially if you have already done so without trying. But, if you want to increase your odds of conceiving, here's what advice you'll typically get. Quit smoking, drinking or drugs as these all can decrease your fertility and decrease the health of you and your baby. You should eat a balanced, healthy diet. (These same 2 tips would be useful for your husband too) Take prenatal vitamins daily with folic acid to prevent spinal cord birth defects in your baby.

Ok, now for your cycles. It may take awhile for you to be regular after getting off the pill, or you may go right back to normal. Count your first day of your period (1st day of red flow) as your cycle day 1 (cd1) and count how long it is until the next cd1. This is your cycle length. Once you have about 3-6 cycles tracked, you'll have a pretty clear idea (assuming you're regular) the average number of days your cycle is. If you have a 28 day cycle, you could ovulate days 13-15, but you may be different. Many women don't have a standard 28 day cycle. If you have a longer cycle, you will ovulate later. If you have a shorter cycle, you'll ovulate sooner. They say the earliest a woman ovulates is day 10 I believe.

So, anyway, when to test with the ovulation sticks? If you don't know how long your cycles are that's a little tricky. You have 2 options: 1) Buy extra ovulation sticks and start testing on day 8 or 9 (because if you do ovulate day 10, you'll get a positive reading on day 8 or 9). This might get expensive. OR 2) Wait a cycle or two, see how long you are, and then test accordingly (many kits tell you on what day to start testing assuming your cycle is of a certain length). If you get a positive, it means you should ovulate within 24-48 hours I believe, so you should start having intercourse.

You might want to start checking your cervical mucus to help. Many women produce a type of mucus (discharge) that is very clear and slippery around ovulation. It looks like egg whites and is usually called egg white cervical mucus (ewcm). This stuff is great for sperm to live in and swim in, to get to your egg.

You could even start taking daily temperatures every morning before you get up, which would tell you when you've ovulated (after the fact though). After 3-6 cycles, if your regular, you'll have a pretty good idea of all parts of your cycle, including when you usually ovulate.

Ok, that's a lot to start with, but I'm sure I forgot a million things. Let us know how it goes!

Old 12-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #3
matlulmolly
(female)

matlulmolly HB User
Re: trying for baby number 3

hey Congratulations on ttc again. I am 35 and have three children ages 12, 10 and 7months and I would love to have a playmate for my daughter. Hopefully this will be our month too. I just started the tww. Good luck!!!! Baby dust to you!!!

Closed Thread