It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
(female)

angrylittledog HB User
Regular Period = Ovulation?

I'm 28 and had my first Pap Smear in Jan, just before i TTC. My gynae said i had minor infections, prescribed some antibiotics and pills (insert type) and i finished the course. I have regular period, 29 - 34 days cycle.
I started charting my BBT since March and quite sure my ovulation is on day 14 or 15, so I BD regularly around those days. Now, 5 months into TTC and still not pg. My questions are:

How do I get my hormone level tested or when should this be done?
Heard about Clomid but not sure whether i should try on it at this stage.
Is Pap Smear sufficient to detect any abnormalities in my ovaries/uterus or whether they are working perfectly?
Should i go for another Pap Smear?
What other test that need to be done before TTC?
I have regular period so does that mean i ovulated every month?

Pls help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 02:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User
Re: Regular Period = Ovulation?

hi angry,
i cant answer all your questions but wanted to tell you about my situation.
im a bit younger than you at 24 and started TTC in july last year. i also had fairly regular periods, my smear tests had all been ok etc. i tried up until December, making sure i was BD around ovulation, but nothing. i had to take a break in january as my partner was working away but carried on TTC through feb and march, still nothing. I had taken falling pregnant for granted, being young and healthy, so went to see my doc. i knew that the problem wasnt with my fiance as he already had kids from a previous relationship.
The first tests they did were 21 day progesterone tests, where they do a blood test on that day of your cycle and check the hormone levels to see if you've ovulated. i was convinced i was ovulating as my periods were fairly regular and i had always noticed CM around half way through my cycle,but the tests showed that i wasnt ovulating, which really upset me as i felt like a failure. My doctor put my mind at rest by saying that some women ovulate some months but not others, so it didnt mean id never ovulate naturally.I asked why i noticed the CM and he explained that my hormone levels were probably high enough to cause the mucus, but not to release an egg.He told me he wanted me to carry on TTC until it had been a year and then he would put me on clomid. one thing he did say is that regular periods dont always indicate ovulation, but its more to do with the length of the cycles. mine were long around that stage (35 days) and he said that was probably why i wasnt ovulating. that isnt to say everyone with a longer cycle wont ovulate though. but my cycles have now gone back to being 28 days and im noticing a lot of mucus bang on day 14 so am sure i am now ovulating.
So, my advice to you would be to carry on TTC for another few months before going onto a fertility drug because 5 months isnt very long. its only been since ive been on this board that ive found out you only have a 20% chance of falling pregnant around ovulation every month which made me feel a lot better. and drugs such as clomid can have unpleasant side effects, so keep trying and try your best to relax, as its well known that getting stressed out can cause more problems than anything.
good luck!!

Last edited by fallen_angel; 06-17-2006 at 02:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2006, 07:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

A pap smear only checks the cervix. It sounds like your cervix is fine given than you had a minor infection. You should not need another pap for a year.

The majority of Drs will not even speak to a couple about fertility, and that includes hormones, until they have tried for a year. Although many of us want the timeline to move much faster than this, it simply does not. It seems like you really want to go to to the Dr to get everything checked out -- if you must, do it. You might find a Dr who is willing to jump ahead of schedule and prescribe treatments.

TTC is a measure every couple's patience -- please do remember this. I think about the amount of patience I will need as a mother -- it will be 1000X as much as I have needed for TTC.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #4
(female)

uagirl7 HB User

I'm so glad you asked this question because I have been wondering the same thing. I have always had regular 28-31 day cycles and have never even missed a period. I'm 27 and DH and I have been ttc since August so we've almost reached our 1 year mark. I'm really starting to wonder if I am ovulating every month. I just kinda figured I did because I had always been regular. The past few months, I have used OPK's and didn't ever get a positive so I bought a clearblue fertility monitor and here it is Day 17 and still have not gotten a peak. I have an appointment with my doctor on Aug 1st. Can anyone tell me what the first things she might do to figure out if we have any problems? I know they do the 21 day progesterone test but what does that involve?

Old 06-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

fallen_angel HB User

uagirl,
the 21 day progesterone test involves a blood test on the 21st day of your cycle to check the hormone levels, they can tell from this whether or not you've ovulated that cycle. They will probably do this for more than one month as sometimes you can ovulate some months and not others. If it comes back that you're not ovulating and its this thats causing the problem, they will probably put you on a fertility drug of some sort such as clomid to kick start you into ovulating, or refer you to the hospital first to look at it in more depth.
if its not the ovulation thats the problem, they may send you to the hospital for further tests such as checking your tubes etc, or sending your DH for tests. but this is probably the course of action initially.
good luck!! baby dust to you

Closed Thread