It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User
New here and need a lot of help....

Well as you can see, I am new here. I was hoping to get some help from some more knowledged folks on all this TTC stuff. Ok first off I guess let me say I am 27 year olds and have been TTC for two months (I know, not very long) I have been off bc for over a year and have been taking prenatal vitamins ever since stopping bc. I have always had very regular periods from the time I first started at 11. My average cycle runs about 26 days. Now, here are all of my questions! Number one, unless I am weird, until I got ready to start TTC, I had no idea that you can tell when you are ovulating. Is this true for everyone except me? My mom told me this, and I was shocked. I then asked around to a bunch of my girlfriends and they all agreed that they can also tell. I have never been able to tell, and it's kind of embarrassing, but never knew when that even happened until now. Anyway, is that weird that I have no idea when that is happening? I have tried to read up about it but have just gotten more confused. I read all the stuff about cm, but the thing with me is that I have dc all month long when I am not on my period and it's always pretty much the same. So I can't tell a difference. I have tried using those at home ovulation predictors for the last two months, but it never said I was ovulating, although I just tried anyway, with no luck of course. Another thing, like I said before, my periods have always been very regular. I have AF for about 6 to 7 days with a pretty normal flow I'd say. The only time I ever had any problem at all with AF was after I had been on BC for over a year and then AF started coming during the last week of the active pills (a week before it should've been.) My doctor said that the hormone levels probably weren't right for me and switched me to a different bc. No problems after that, and after stopping bc everything has been fine. That is until I started TTC of course. For the last two months right before AF, I have had red spotting for about three days. Now I call this spotting because usually when I start, you know it. This was light pink to reddish and there sometimes and not others, but enough to have to wear something. Also, I am having a dull ache on my left side in that area, but it's not like my normal cramping and also I never have cramping this late into AF, I should be off tomorrow. So what is that all about? I am just so confused on when I need to be doing, when to try each month, how to know etc. I am sorry to go on so long, but I am frustrated that I don't understand all of this. Oh also, one last thing, what is the luetal phase and how do I know how long mine is? Again, I am sorry for sounding so dumb about all of this. I guess being a woman I should be more in tune with my body and what is going on but I guess I always just excepted things as they happened and never really thought about it. Oh and also if it matters, I had a pap smear done two months ago and everything was fine on that. So if anyone can give some insight, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Last edited by Delia79; 09-07-2006 at 10:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #2
(female)

alamaz HB User
Re: New here and need a lot of help....

i would run the past two months past your doctor. not because it sounds bad but just so you feel more comfortable with whats going on. does your dr. know you are ttc? he/she needs to know.

a great book about all this stuff is "taking charge of your fertility" not sure who the author is (a woman) but if you look on amazon under the title it should pull it up. it's definitely not a weekend read and can get very detailed but every question you have about your body and cycle will be answered. then you won't feel like you're clueless about it all.

good luck and welcome to the boards!

Old 09-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #3
(female)

Sweet73 HB User

Hi Delia,
There are plenty of women who don't know when they ovulate, so it's not weird at all that you can't tell. I can tell because my cm changes to clear & sticky (looks like raw egg whites).
In short, you usually ovulate half way through your cycle.. so, if you are a 26 day cycle, you should ov somewhere around day 13, so I would BD starting on CD9 & BD everyday through CD17. My cycles are anywhere from 28-32 so I will BD from CD10-20 !!!
As for "Leutal Phase", I believe that is the time from when you OV until you get AF. If you have a short Leutal Phase, sometimes there is not enough time for implantaion to occur.... I don't know too much about it, only what I've read here on the boards, so hopefully someone else with more knowledge can help you out with that.
Good luck to you!
*Baby Dust*

Old 09-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

kimb0091 HB User

Hi Delia! Wow - reading your post, I thought I had written it myself! I am also 27, and we've been TCC for 2 months, too. Who knew it would be this confusing! I never had a clue when I ovulate (still trying to figure that out), but now I at least know what to look for. I always said that I think I must have missed that day in health class. The OPK's are a good idea, but I haven't been able to get a positive yet, and they are so darn expensive! Do you do temp charting at all? I just started last month, but I hear from others on this board that it can really help predict when you ovulate or when you should BD. Everyone on here is SO helpful! I've had a ton of questions to ask about this whole TCC thing, and everyone is always willing to give an honest answer. Anyways, welcom to the board, and good luck!

Old 09-07-2006, 09:18 PM   #5
(female)

Sweet73 HB User

Hi Kim,
I just read your post, I just wanted to let you know you can buy OPK's at the Dollar Stores, and they work the same as the expensive ones! Not all Dollar stores have them, you have to go to the larger ones, I have a big Dollar Tree where I live & that is where I get the $1 OPK's & Pregnancy tests!!
Good Luck!
-Sweet

Old 09-08-2006, 04:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Delia79 HB User

Kimb0091,
Wow, that is really funny because like you have I have been saying that I too must have missed that day in health class. If only you knew how important school was when you were still there! Well I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who couldn't tell when they were ovulating. Makes me feel a little less silly.

To answer the others, yes I am sorry I forgot to say that my doctor knows I am TTC. I just made a visit to her for the first time two months ago, decided it was probably best to find an obgyn before TTC and make sure everything was up to date and a-ok. She basically just asked about my cycles, if they were normal (which they always were) and said good luck, congratulations and give us a call if you think you might be pg. I just wasn't sure if I should call her now and let her know about the last two months or if I should just expect that it's normal for things to change a little the older you get.... Hmmmm

I will check out that book and see if I can get a better handle on what is going on, what to expect and when etc. I guess I am just a little worried, the whole "what if I can't get pg for some reason and don't know it." Which I am sure is normal. It's only been two months I know, but it's weird. It's like you try for so long not to and people get pg all the time on accident. You'd think it would be a lot easier than it really is.

Thanks for all your replies. It's really nice to know there is somewhere to come and talk to others who are also TTC. Thanks everyone!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tami52100 HB User

Delia79 I was like you didn't have a clue about ttc my ds just happened so I figured it was just suppose to be like that until it didn't for 4yrs and then the m/c and now almost 2yrs later still nothing. So I started reading the book that was mentioned Taking charge of you fertility is great.
I started using Opk and doing BBT and it helped alot I know when I O each month now. I would suggest giving BBT a try it takes time to get use to getting up at the same time everyday but after a couple weeks it becomes natural I usually wake before my clock goes off now.
Good luck
Tami

Old 09-08-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
(female)

kimb0091 HB User

Hey Sweet - thanks for the info on the dollar store OPK's. I'll definately have to check that out. The ones I've been buying are, like, $18 for 7 of them, and since I have no clue when I ovulate (just started BBT), I've been going through a lot of them!

Closed Thread