It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
(female)

noftessa HB User
Question Short luteal phase - when to see doctor?

Hey all!

This is 1st real month of ttc (we didn't BD a lot for cycle #1) and I think I have a short luteal phase. How long should we ttc before I see my doc about this?

Background:

I've been on the pill for 12 years. Because of really bad periods (migraines, heavy/long flow, severe cramps), I was on the continuous pill (no cycle breaks, no periods) for the last 3 years.

Stopped the pill: 11/12/06
Started BBT charting immediately
Cylce #1: 27 days, ovulation on cd17
Cycle #2: 26 days, ovulation on cd19

I know it can take quite some time for my cycles to get back to normal. Prior to taking the pill (12 years ago), my cycles were pretty regular at about 36 days.

Hubby and I BD'd quite a bit this cycle. I started spotting this afternoon, but was hoping that it was implantation bleeding (there seemed to be some wet cm and some brown/pink). But, this evening, it is a much darker red.

So, how long should I wait to see the doc re: possible too short luteal phases? I probably should wait at least a few more cycles, huh?

Anyway, thanks for all your knowledge - I've been lurking for a bit and am relieved to have a nice place to come to to get info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
(female)

LittleRed00 HB User
Re: Short luteal phase - when to see doctor?

My doctor wanted me to be actively ttc for a year, before she'd start any tests or medications. However, a short luteal phase will effect TTC. I was told this as well, because you need a pretty normal luteal phase. Sorry I'm not a whole lot of help! You can always call your doctor and just voice your concerns, he/she may want you to chart for a few cycles and then go from there.. with BBT and stuff. Or perhaps she'll want you to come on in and figure something out. Good luck!!

Red

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

I've read that a luteal phase of less than 10 days signals a problem. It may be that your body is adjusting to being BC free, but it is worth talking to your doctor about

Old 01-05-2007, 07:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GoldenMom HB User

I would definitely wait until you have been off the pill for at least 4 full months. Like Meg said, under 10 days for a luteal phase is not good, but you do need to give your body time to re-adjust to its own hormones.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

livinTX HB User

Yes, wait until you have been off the pill 4 or 5 months. I'm on my 7th cycle off birth control (after being on the pill 7 years) and the first several months my luteal phase was 8 or 9 days long, and I ovulated around day 20. But gradually, my luteal phase has lengthened to 10 days, 11 days, 13 days last month. I'm not doing anything super-extraordinary, I do take Vitex and a B-vitamin complex as well as evening primrose oil. I think it is my body still recovering from the pill. In addition, my "O" date moved up first to about day 17 then last month and this month to day 13. I'm thinking I will likely have another 13 day LP this month because the past 3 or 4 months I'm consistently had 27 day long cycles.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
(female)

noftessa HB User

Thanks, ladies! You have all pretty much confirmed my thoughts abouting waiting a few cycles.

I am still trying to debate whether AF even showed up yet, so my luteal phase might not be as short as I thought (for the second cycle anyway). I spotted a little yesterday, and a little today, so it could be implantation bleeding. I tend to be a little pessimistic, though, because I seem to have been cramping for a few days, and I just noticed (TMI) a really, really small, bright red clot, mixed with cm. I would still just consider this "spotting" though, so no AF yet. (Although my temp dipped this morning 0.2 degrees).

Anyway, I'm still hoping for a good month, but am cautious.

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Yes I would say you are still in the 2ww. You don't count the first day of your period until you see bright red blood.
Good luck!

Closed Thread