It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hazel 74 HB User
Exclamation Can you O and still have OPK never show the surge?

Hi,

I've tried to try (!!) OPKs this cycle for the first time, starting cd9. I gave up on cd14, since (a) I was confused and (b) we're BDing almost everyday this cycle to cover all bases (and I know that I do O typically)

My questions:
1) Is it possible to O and never have it show up on the OPK?
2) As I work from 8am till about 8/9pm, I could only use the OPK with FMU (and once a day)... but I read on here somewhere that you should not use FMU... is that correct?... and any insight on why? Could that be why I never got a + yet?... I am on cd16 today (with 28-32 day regular cycles).

Any input is much appreciated! Thank you!

Much much sticky baby-dust to all

Old 03-28-2007, 03:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

southern_belle HB User
Re: Can you O and still have OPK never show the surge?

Hey Hazel

This was my first month trying opks as well, and I never got a positve. But I bbt and I know I O'd. The day that I O'd I got a 'darker' line, but not a positive. So I would say it is possible. From what I have read, fmu isn't good b/c LH is generally synthesized in your body early in the day and won't show in your urine until later in the day. You can't rely on the accuracy either if the instructions specifically say not to use fmu and you do. And if you have a short time frame LH surge (like I assume I did) and it is only about 10 hours, it is possible to miss it on an OPK if you only test once a day.

Are you checking your cm? or bbt? How do you know you have O'd in the past? I can's say that I will try opks again in the future since I don't really think they were useful to me. And as with everything else, they become addictive, which gets expensive

Hope this helps...

Belle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

According to one of my EX drs OPKs are fool proof and will ALWAYS show the LH surge. When he told me that I pointed at my youngest son and told him that was BS. He told then I didnt use them right. That was the last time I saw that dr,hence the ex.
Anyway I have had a couple of other drs tell me that OPKs are hit or miss. They can work great for some women and not for others. I happen to be one of those women they dont work for. So I refuse to use them and always strongly suggest for those that are ttc to chart if they are going to use OPKs just to double check.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hazel 74 HB User

Hi Belle and Blastoff -- Thanks so much for your responses -- helped put my mind at ease!

Belle - I know I O 'cos I've had 2 ultrasounds in the past year or so as part of annual routine gynae exam and both times gynae has confirmed that I O'd. These visits were just randomly scheduled, and so I believe it can't be a coincidence that I O'd both times. Also, every month between cd13-16 I can feel some of the typical aches and pains I've read to be associated with O. Also change in cm is quite apparent and regular.

I don't temp 'cos I think TTC'ing occupies enough of my life (and mind-space) at the moment, without my getting onto temping every morning and charting and having one more thing to analyse!!!

We've been TTC'ing for 9 cycles - but due to very busy work-schedule and travel, we most times miss 3-4 days at a stretch in any one cycle... thats why this month decided to make sure we BD every day from cd12-21 or so.... hopefully that will work!!! (Also BD'd on cd5, 6, 8 and 9 but that was just for pleasure )

Thanks again and wish you both extra sticky BABY DUST

Old 03-29-2007, 04:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

G8r4evr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel 74 View Post
Hi Belle and Blastoff -- Thanks so much for your responses -- helped put my mind at ease!

Belle - I know I O 'cos I've had 2 ultrasounds in the past year or so as part of annual routine gynae exam and both times gynae has confirmed that I O'd. These visits were just randomly scheduled, and so I believe it can't be a coincidence that I O'd both times. Also, every month between cd13-16 I can feel some of the typical aches and pains I've read to be associated with O. Also change in cm is quite apparent and regular.

I don't temp 'cos I think TTC'ing occupies enough of my life (and mind-space) at the moment, without my getting onto temping every morning and charting and having one more thing to analyse!!!

We've been TTC'ing for 9 cycles - but due to very busy work-schedule and travel, we most times miss 3-4 days at a stretch in any one cycle... thats why this month decided to make sure we BD every day from cd12-21 or so.... hopefully that will work!!! (Also BD'd on cd5, 6, 8 and 9 but that was just for pleasure )

Thanks again and wish you both extra sticky BABY DUST
Very interesting to know. This is my first month trying them and I have yet to get a positive either....on Sunday night I got a fairly dark line and ever since, it has been practically invisible.

How do they tell if you have ovulated? Is it always an ultrasound? What do they look for? Thanks!

Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hazel 74 HB User

Hi G8r4evr -- As you can tell from my earlier posts, I am not a fan of OPKs nor BBT'ing , but here's what I learnt along the way...

My first ultrasound was part of routine health screening package that included many things incl. reproductive health -- at that time Gynae saw the u/s image and said "ok, so you've O'd"... I looked at the image and she pointed out the dark circular shape of the egg (or "follicle" as she called it) in the uterus.

My second ultrasound was not really planned, but when I went back to my Gynae for routine Pap test, I casually mentioned that its been a few months TTC'ing and nothing happened yet, and she remarked "ok, do you want me to take a look and confirm whether you O'd"... and since I don't bbt or use OPKs I agreed. Again, she confirmed O and showed me the same dark circular shape in the uterus that she called Follicle.

Apparently, you can't tell at that stage whether that is a fertilized egg or not, because it is too small to tell whether fertilized... so it apparently looks very similar to a pregnant u/s of about 3.5 weeks (I believe you can only see yolk sac inside that dark circular shape in pregnancy at about 5+ weeks).

Is that the only way to confirm O? --- According to my gynae "seeing is believing"... so she feels that that is the only 100% foolproof way to confirm that you O'd in that cycle. BBT is a good way to indicate whether O happened -- but she said it was not 100% (highly accurate but not foolproof, as temps can be high due to other reasons etc.).

From what I've learned from the other ladies on this board, OPKs are not that reliable at all -- and may not work in everyone...

CM is a good way... but again, can be thinner/runny etc. again also due to non-O reasons.

Sorry for the long post! -- but hope you find at least some info that helps you.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:26 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User

Also blood test can confirm O as well. But that can be time sensitive and you need to know your cycles very well or else the dr goes by the standard which can miss if you dont have the so call normal cycle.
I perfer bbt cause it takes less than 2 minutes every morning and once you get in the habit it isnt that hard. Heck when I was actually doing it Dh got into and helped.
TTC #3 since 01/02

Closed Thread