It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 AM   #1
(female)

scoobylou22 HB User
Question i read somewhere that you are at your most fertile straight after stopping the pill!

The docters always say you should wait a few months before ttc after stoping the pill! however i wish i hadn't now, i stopped the pill over a year ago but didn't start ttc till december. My periods were still regular untill about August and thats when everything went pear shaped! i wish i had started ttc as soon as i came off the pill because i might of concieved when my cycles were still regular. Aparantly you are more fertile the 3months after coming off the pill. i was thinking i should go back on it for a few months but i don't know if i can be bothered!! saying that there is no point dwelling on the past but has anyone else herd this too? i currently have cycles that are 50-70 days long (ive probably told you all this before soz) im trying angus castus at the mo to see if that helps.
The wierd thing is when i mentioned the pill to the docter about making you more fertile straight after taking it he was all defensive and said it was rubbish! but this would explain how alot of people get pregnant on the pill just coz they missed a couple of days! i was thinking maybe they don't want you to get pg straight away because it makes it difficult to date the pregnancy or something or perhaps its coz they want to make sure your boosted up with folic acid! i think there may be some kind of conspiracy behide it! there are alot of things you read in books that docters don't tell you, i think its just because they don't want you to know. But why?!?
I always look into things too much sorry everyone

Last edited by scoobylou22; 04-18-2007 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

kblalock HB User
Re: i read somewhere that you are at your most fertile straight after stopping the pi

My mom got pregnant with her 3rd right off the pill. That was 20 years ago and I'm sure some changes have been made. But just thought I would put my 2cents in.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #3
(female)

shellshell82 HB User
Re: i read somewhere that you are at your most fertile straight after stopping the pi

Yes, I have heard this too. It is possible that it is not that well known amoung doctors. It is also possible that it only happens to a small percentage of women, so it's not really that significant. I know when I came off the pill... those were the worst cycles I have ever had!! lol No bubba coming from those cycles that's for sure. But I didn't start getting mid-cycle bleeding (which happened to me pre-pill) until about a year after I stopped it. But then I got dx with PCOS and I started Metformin, and bye-bye to mid-cycle bleeding again.

Scooby, if you think you have PCOS - have you looked into diet and exercise changes you can make? They can be quite effective - maybe more so than medications in helping you gain a more regular cycle. And they are changes you can make without having to go see a doc and get a formal diagnosis, etc. A friend of mine never got a period, made the changes and viola, starting getting them regularly. Didn't happen to me, mind you - still irregular even after a year of Metformin... but it is worth a shot, and often the changes can be quite easy to make.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Hi,
I just stopped taking BCPs at the end of March. I just had my first AF today after stopping. It was 30 days instead of 28, that's not too bad after 14 yrs of the Pill and I'm just happy it came at all. I've been reading horror stories of people coming off the pill and not having a period for months and months. I have not heard that you are more fertile after stopping, but I don't doubt it. I have a friend that stopped taking BCPs and got pregnant right away. It ended in miscarriage though and I often wonder if there was a connection. My DH and I definitely did not avoid sex in the last month, but I did count days after my last period to figure out when I thought I might be ovulating and did not BD then. Since I have heard that's it is best not to get prego in the first month after BCPs, we decided to let my body get back on track. Although I have also read that it is not harmful to get prego in the first month. We just did it to be on the safe side. Now I will calculate and try to BD on the ovulation days! Good luck to you!

Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #5
(female)

shellshell82 HB User

I think the "more fertile" thing comes from women being more likely to release more than one egg in the first month or so off the pill - like a reaction to being suppressed for so long, sometimes more than one egg develops and is released.

I think also that other factors are involved. That is, if you are not going to ovulate at all because you have ovulation probs, then I don't know how you could be more fertile after stopping the pill. If you are not going to release one egg, how are you going to release two?? Not sure how that all works.

Also, factors such as how much weight you gained on the pill may affect it as well. If you have gained a lot, then your chances of ovulating would be reduced.

Closed Thread