It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
(female)

frostygirl85 HB User
Unhappy Am I too overweight for pregnancy?

I'm a 22 yr. old obese woman (around 290lbs). I'm getting married soon and I desperately want to have a child. I love the idea of being younger parents. I've never been pregnant before. I have been dieting for a few months and am losing slowly. I did weight watchers and lost about 50 lbs and was down to about 274 and gained some back. I'm doing weight watchers core plan now which is really healthy. My highest weight according to the doctor office is 342, so i've lost alot i guess. I'm actually probably more active than most women my size and I eat healthy foods about 95% of the time now. I want to start walking about 30 min. a day, I think that will help alot also. I don't have any health problems besides the obvious obesity (that I know of) and I have and have normal periods despite being overweight. I've been on birth control for some months now, I used to have pretty bad cramping but the birth control helped it ALOT. When we know for sure when we want to get pregnant then I will stop the birth control. I know i'm being impatient, but I just really really want to have a baby now...but I don't know if I should start trying yet. Has anyone been my weight and pregnant at the same time? What is it like? I know about gestational diabetes and pre-eclampsia. I've heard it can be managed pretty easy though if I eat right and excercise. I know I should discuss this with a doctor, but I thought maybe I could get a different kind of insight from women who understand my desperation a little better first. Thanks to all for reading and/or responding.

Last edited by frostygirl85; 05-24-2007 at 08:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
(female)

patzy HB User
Re: Am I too overweight for pregnancy?

Hi, Frosty
I'm not in your situation but I know of 2 woman who were. The first had no problems and is about to have baby no 2. The second was in hospital for 6 weeks before delivery (pre-eclampsia, I think). She had an emergency section in the end with a general anaesthetic and had such a horrible time that she never had another baby.
I guess it's just your luck, but obviously the more you can lose pre pregnancy the better. Don't forget that obesity also affects fertility.
Patzy

Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User

First of all, I commend you for making such an effort to lose weight. It's not easy by any means! Obese women do get pregnant and have normal healthy pregnancies, so try not to worry too much. Plus you're young, so you have age in your favor. I would recommend getting a pre-pregnancy physical since you know you want to plan a pregnancy. They'll usually prescribe prenatal vitamins for you to start taking a few months prior which will help prevent things like spinal defects, etc. and will do bloodwork to check for things like immunity to Rubella and other things that you can easily prevent beforehand but can't do anything about once you get pregnant. They'll discuss your weight concerns as well and may even help you with more ways to lose weight.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding too!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

neshee HB User

You are not too overweight to have a baby. Yes, it is true that "smaller" people have it a little easier, but not really. They can have the same problems overweight women have. I was 246 when I got pregnant for DD. I gained 40lbs for her (or about) and delivered her 2 weeks early, b/c I got preeclampsia (but this condition is common of first time moms...weight usually doesn't have everything to do with it). You are wrong that it is easily dealt with though. Preeclampsia is very serious condition. It means that your kidneys aren't getting rid of all the toxins. Your blood pressure goes up, and you get protein in your urine. This can be controlled by BP meds and bed rest, but sometimes you have to be in the hospital until you deliver, and I was 37 weeks when I got it and delivered a week later, b/c my protein went up again. I am not trying to scare you, just give you the facts. Diabetes is more easily dealt with, and usually doesn't present a problem...but you are more likely to have a larger baby and therefore a c-section (according to my doc...I have never had this). Plus-sized women are more likely to have diabetes with pregnancy. That said, you do not have to be thin or whatever to have a baby. MANY women MUCH bigger than you have babies everyday. Sometimes getting pregnant is harder when you are bigger, but most women don't have a problem. I noticed that with my DD, I got pregnant right after I had lost 15 pounds. I had lost 40 between my DD and this pregnancy ( I am 28 weeks) and took 5 months to get pregnant with this little guy...4 months longer than it took with my DD. I weighed 236 this time and have gained 36 pounds, 20 of it in 6 weeks, and they think I am getting a "condition" again. It just depends on your body. Being regular is a good sign!! I wish you all the luck and happiness and hope you get your BFP as soon as you want it! Don't let people tell you otherwise, and when you go to your doc, don't be surprised if they try to keep your weight gain limited...in fact you probably will lose some if you get morning sickness. Good luck, hon.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #5
(female)

darkwater HB User

I just want to say good luck to you as you begin to try for a baby. I don't have a personal experience to share with you, but I just know lots of obese women who have had successful pregnancies. If you are already aware of the gestational diabetes and preeclampsia, those are the biggest two that happen when the mother is very overweight. Yes, you can manage it to some degree, and the younger you are, the better your body can handle pregnancy at any weight. But towards the end of your pregnancy is when it will get more dangerous for you and the baby and when you may have to be on total bed rest or even stay at the hospital where you can be watched in case things get so out of control with the high blood sugar and preeclampsia that they have to deliver the baby prematurely. Or you may be just fine. Keep up the exercise, it will help you to be in as good a shape as possible when you become pregnant, and you will recover from the pregnancy more quickly. I would get a checkup and tell the doctor you are about to try to get pregnant, they will know what tests to run to make sure your health is okay to proceed. The desire for a child is so very strong, this I know. So, go for it!

I wish I had listened to my heart years ago when I wanted to have children before I was 25 and had just gotten married for the first time. You don't know what desperate is until you get over 35 and they start saying you are of "advanced materal age" and your eggs may be of poor quality. I am 38, been married (again) for one year and trying to get pregnant the whole time without any luck. Of course, I know lots of women who had successful pregnancies when they were older, for one, my mother, who had me when she was 37, my brother when she was 39, and my sister when she was 42. She was also overweight during this time, I would say between a size 18 up to a 22. I am about a size 16 right now myself.

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage and good luck.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #6
(female)

jaxie 77 HB User

Hi there , I am currently 22 weks 3days pg with my first child , i am 29 years old and before i went on Birth Control at 17 i had really screwy period cycles , although i wasn't overweight at the time . I came off bc once at 26ish and my cycle never came at all , at that time i was around 50 lbs overweight , the doc tld me i would have problems concieving . However i went back on Bc cos i was in another (not so good) relationship. Then in 2005 i met my now fiance' and last Feb i came off bc , by then i was around 280lbs , up and down . through last year i had a few late periods and a no show once , but then they went on to be normal , and in Feb of this year i discovered i was almost 12 weks pg !!!Then, i was 274lbs . I have lost 6 lbs so far this pg cos i changed my diet , although i wasn't that bad before , i suffer from Hypotension (underactive thyroid ) and i have very slow metabolism , but that's not an excuse ..... i love to eat !!!! I , like you am very active and do eat healthy , and other than my thyroid i am in good health. Although my BP was high at last app . I am taking calcium supplements , if my high bp is pregnancy related (which we dont know yet as ive had this before ) then apparently this helps to bring it down .
Anyway , what im trying to say is , of course there are risks involved in an overweight pregnancy , but there are risks involved in a lot of pregnancies and with a positive and healthy outlook , a non fat-phobic OB !! , and good care and guidance , there is no reason why you shouldn't have a baby . It sounds to me like you know that you want to do everything you can to do this right and thats how i feel too . My mind is set now and ive changed my whole diet and health regime , because it's not just me at stake anymore , it's the little life inside of me .And i really feel that after this pregnancy , this will continue . I would give it your all hun, if that's what you and your fiance really want . You have a good start with your age and normal cycles , you may get pg really quick !!! But i do agree with the above poster , just to be on the safe side , get a physical and see exactly where you stand healthwise , as anyone should ,do overweight or not , if you are PLANNING pregnancy .
Anyway , good luck , i wish you all the best , and have fun trying

Old 05-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

I can totally relate. I am alot older than you though. I am 41 and was 266 pre pregnancy. The only problem I am having is gestational diabetes and I am controlling it with diet, exercise, and one pill in the am. I'll probably be taking another pill at dinner time in the next month or so. Gestational diabetes is known to get worse the farther along you get. I am now 23 weeks.

Weight is not a big issue with pregnancy. Don't let anyone tell you it is. The best thing you can do right now is start eating healthy and walking 30 mins. a day. Lose what you can before you get pregnant because they won't want you to lose much after you get pregnant. I do wish I'd have eaten healthier and lost more before I got pregnant. It may take you longer to LOOK pregnant and take a little longer before you feel the baby move but those are not health issues.

You are young enough and sound healthy enough not to have many issues. I wish you all the best and congrats on your wedding!!!!

River

Old 05-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #8
(female)

Post-It HB User

Hey I am really glad you asked this question. I'm not TTC, but I do have babies on the brain and have just been researching and trying to get general information before DH and I do start TTC. Anyway I am about 50 lbs overweight right now and have been exercising and dieting so that pregnancy will be easier. Before I went on the pill, I was having very irregular periods which I now think is due to me putting on weight and that in turn affecting my ovulation. I have heard that women who are of a healthy weight sometimes have an easier time getting pregnant because being overweight can affect your ability to ovulate. Has anyone else heard this? Anyway, that's just another reason I'm trying to lose weight - hopefully put the odds in my favor. I'm only 25 and will hopefully start trying in another 2 years or so, but I want to be as healthy as I can be before we start TTC. Good luck!

Old 05-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
(female)

My5Cats HB User

I was 278 when I found out, very unexpectedly, that we were expecting. That is the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I lost weight in my first trimester due to loss of appetite, then lost some more in my 2nd trimester due to eating helathier foods. Then I started gaining again, and by my calculations I never reached my beginning wieght again (although the doc argues with me on this one saying I was never as heavy as 278, but she wasn't there at my first appt, and I don't think the nurse wrote it down, however I remember it)! Anyway, I had borderline numbers just below having gestational diabetes, so I just had to cut down on my sugar intake, not cut it out entirely. And then in my last two weeks of pregnancy my blood pressure spiked a little bit, so at 40 weeks I was admitted for a 24 hour BP monitoring and it never went back down but it never got high enough to actually diagnose pre-eclampsia either (nor did I have protein in my urine, as far as I was told), so they just called it PIH (pregnancy induced hyper tension). They decided to induce anyway and I ended up having an emergency C-section because of failure to progress, baby ended up being stuck in a weird position that caused me not to dialate passed 4 cm. But that didn't have to do with my weight.

Anyway, after baby was born they weighed me like 4 days later and I was 253!!! Pregnancy has been my easiest weight loss plan so far, lol. Unfortunately I have gained most of that back now!

Well, I hope everything goes smoothly with TTC, and remember many overweight women have had succesful, uncomplicated pregnancies as well!

Diana

Old 05-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

magster04 HB User

Hi girls!

I'm glad someone started this thread! It's good to get everyone's story and opinion. Myself, I'm about 85 lbs overweight. Not the heaviest in my life, I've lost 20+ lbs the past year or so. I was 50 or so lbs lighter before I started bc pills when I got married. I have pcos so I've got the excess hair, irregular/non-exhistant cycles with no ovulation, etc. However, I was this way as a teen with a much healthier weight and I'm now 28. So I don't believe weight has anything to do with me getting pg. I do believe the pcos has a lot to do with my being overweight even thought it's not the only reason. I eat fairly well most of the time my weakness being chocolate and pepsi. When I first started on the IF journey, my weight bothered me a great deal because I felt as though people were looking at me and thinking "if she'd lost the weight she could get pg". I'm now comfortable in the knowledge that's not true. My body was messed up before I gained.
Also, my mom was overweight with all of her kids and never had a problem getting pg (there's 7 of us!). So now, I'm living a more active life and have quit eating out for the most part. I'm learning to eat and be healthier on a regular basis so I will be healthier in the long run. I'm also praying the drugs will work so I can get preggers!! I figure with the morning sickness that runs in my family I should lose weight during pregnancy as long as I eat healthy! Sorry if this didn't quite make sense, but it's been a long day!

Vi

Old 05-25-2007, 05:48 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

rivergirl939 HB User

I had no problem getting pregnant. I met my hubby in Dec. of 2005....we were trying not to get pregnant but were a little careless and ended up pregnant in July of 2006. I miscarried in Sept. 2006. We got married in Nov. 2006 and got pregnant again in Dec. 2006. I'm now 23 weeks 1 day and due in Sept. of 2006. Over the years my weight usually fluctuated between 220and 260. I was 266 when we got pregnant in Dec. I've always been overweight (I was 9 lbs 7 oz at birth and have been overweight ever since) and have always had regular periods. I'm also 41.....so by all the statistics I should have had all kinds of trouble getting pregnant.....so much for statistics!!!

River

Old 05-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
(female)

lucy1978 HB User
Wink Re: Am I too overweight for pregnancy?

My RE doesn't seem to think that pregnancy is impossible for someone who is close to 300 pounds myself, but he also, like any other doctor has encouraged me to lose weight. Sometimes I feel like laughing when they say all the things they do about creative ways to lose weight. Most if not all of us who has PCOS do not sit around all day eating, and as the girls in my department at work tell me I work circles around them, and they are all skinny girls! Anyhow, I am on my 1st round of clomid to try to get pregnant, and have been on metformin for the last 3 years, pregnancy at our weight is not impossible I have been told, so I am still trying, and hoping to someday have a little one.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM   #13
(female)

mylove1202 HB User

I just turned 23 in May and I too am overweight (always have been ow). I'm now at about 278 (this is the most I've ever weighed). I was on a weightloss program for several months and lost 40-45 lbs., when I started it I was about 255. I started dating my bf..now husband (Dec.07) and gained ALL PLUS MORE BACK! We too want to have children but I want to loose weight first. I was also just diagnosed with PCOS last month and my doc. put me on Provers to jump start my cycle, metformin for my insulin (which is @ 17-not to bad). The provera worked and I started my bc(YAZ) yesterday (sunday). I am trying that program again so hopefully things will work out. We really want children!

Old 06-04-2007, 02:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I too am overweight... 5"3' and weight 188 pounds, size 14-16 depending on the brand. I am 30. My husband and I are married 3 years this May... we are going to TTC either next month or August...I am trying loose some weight first so i can be healthier. My OBGYN told me that if I got pregnant now at this weight he would not worry about and that I was fine....but if you walk or excersise befroe you are pregnant then you can cont. to do that throughout the preg.

good luck to you all

Old 02-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #15
(female)

mscash15 HB User

i have been trying to get pregnant for at least a year now and i keep thinking that it may be because i am over weight, but the werid thing is that i have had a period every month and have not missed one i weigh in a 280 and i just feel so down that i am 20 and weigh that much i am about to get married to a man that i have been engaged with for two years and we have been trying so hard to have a baby he makes me feel upset some times cuz he only weighs about 145 and he cant gain no weight i need some help if u can tell me what i should do please repost to me

Last edited by mscash15; 02-26-2008 at 04:10 PM.

Closed Thread