It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
(female)

evert9 HB User
TTC and Colposcopy/LEEP Procedure

Hi all -

I am new here and found this board through ****** after searching for information on the LEEP Procedure and effects of a colposcopy on TTC.

My husband and I are TTC (Cycle 2) and I had a colposcopy done yesterday. Dr. is pretty sure it's moderate displaysia but waiting for the pathology report to confirm. He has recommended a LEEP procedure if that is the case.

So my question is this: do we postpone TTC until after the LEEP or continue to TTC and postpone the LEEP? My fear is two-fold: 1. If we postpone TTC and have the procedure, I could have problems TTC, carrying the child, or giving birth vaginally. 2. If we postpone the procedure, I risk the chances of cells changing more. I don't think they do LEEPs while you are pregnant from what I've read thus far.

Any advice would be wonderful. It's an emotional rollercoaster for me right now

Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

southern_belle HB User
Re: TTC and Colposcopy/LEEP Procedure

Hi evert9 and welcome to the boards You will find a lot of useful information here and the ladies (and occasional gentlemen) are very helpful and supportive.

I'm sure you are aware that you can't have intercourse for up to 2 weeks after the colpo right? If I were you, I would not put off having the leep done, if it is deemed necessary. You have to think about the future and making sure that you will be around to raise your child. Putting off this procedure could jepordize that, since often times these cells can change very quickly. I would wait and see what the pathology report shows. They just let you know about the possiblity of leep just so that you will be prepared. I just cried and was so upset after I read the information about the leep after my colpo, but then didn't need to have this procedure done.

I found out I had to have my second colposcopy only a week or so after finding out I was pg. They will not let me wait until after I have the baby to have it done, I had to wait until I was 12 weeks (I am 13w now) and they will only go in and look, not take any biopsies or scrapings.

It is only my opinion, but I think it is imperative that you make sure you are healthy before you become pregnant. You would not want to jeoperdize you or the baby by putting off a leep procedure if the dr feels it is necessary.

Good luck,
Belle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
(female)

evert9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_belle View Post

I'm sure you are aware that you can't have intercourse for up to 2 weeks after the colpo right?
Hi there! I'm so glad that I found you all. Thank you for the warm welcoming and advice thus far. When I asked the doctor about sex, she said 2 days after my colpo, not 2 weeks. I've seen anything from a few days to a month on the net! Now I'm really confused. Best to wait for as long as possible I guess.

Trisha

Old 07-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #4
(female)

salsmom HB User

Hi Trish, welcome to the boards....I had CD last year, and we were able to do the laser surgery instead of the LEEP. The drs always give you all options to prepare you - however, the LEEP is not always necessary. My dr told me to wait 2 wks b4 intercourse, Im sure all drs are different. However, you will find that your discharge is kindof "scabby" and gross (I know, TMI) for a week or two anyway....

DH and I talked to my dr about TTC and he recommended that I have the surgery done, because of the rate in which the cells were growing. They have options out there for those who have had CD/LEEP, such as cerclage (stiches) at about 14 weeks to hold your cervix together.

No worries - this seems to be getting more and more common, and people are still going on to have healthy pregnancies. Just keep the open communication with your dr!

Closed Thread