It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

AZ24 HB User
Breakthrough bleeding, ovulation...Help PLEASE

I had started a different thread "ovulation questions," but now I have another question/problem to add to it!

So, I started my ovulation kit on Day 11. Today is day 14. I am pretty much on a 27 to 29 day cycle.
Every morning, the test shows NEGATIVE for the LH surge. My husband and I had sex anyways on days 11, 12 and 14 (just in case). Well, I felt like I was having some cramps yesterday, but didn't really think anything of it.
After my dh and I had sex today, I laid there for about 20 mins. When I went to the bathroom, I wiped and there was a lot of blood. I guess that I am having break-through bleeding. It isn't brown/rusty like normal breakthrough though, it is pretty pink and red!
I'm really disappointed, and I really don't know what to think of it all.

Is there any way I can still get pregnant this month, even with this breakthrough bleeding (if that is what it is)? Should I even bother finishing the rest of the ovulation sticks?

What do you think? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Stacey

Old 08-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

saw339 HB User
Re: Breakthrough bleeding, ovulation...Help PLEASE

I have not experienced it, but I did have something to say about your ovulation tests. The ones that I have had say that you should use your mid-afternoon urine sample, not the first morning. Maybe that's why you're not getting a positive?

I have never gotten a positive o test - I guess they just don't work for me! I started temping this month so hopefully next month I'll be able to pinpoint o that way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
(female)

Lyndsay85 HB User

Hey guys just wanted to check what the definition of break through bleeding was? thanks for the info

Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

AZ24 HB User

Breakthrough bleeding is like a mini-period about 1/2 way through your cycle.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 AM   #5
(female)

Lyndsay85 HB User

What does that mean tho? is it like bleeding before ovulation because of the eastrogen drop just before you ovulate?

Sorry for all the Q's just wanted to check, is this a medical term?

Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #6
(female)

Lyndsay85 HB User

Hey Guys heres some info i found for everyones knowledge.

Breakthrough bleeding is bleeding while taking the active pills of combined oral contraceptives, or other hormonal contraceptives. The bleeding is usually light, often referred to as "spotting," though a few women may experience heavier bleeding. Breakthrough bleeding is most common when a woman first begins taking oral contraceptives, or changes from one particular oral contraceptive to another, though it is possible for breakthrough bleeding to happen at any time. Smokers are especially prone to breakthrough bleeding while taking oral contraceptives; though many users experience breathrough bleeding in the first three cycles of taking the Pill, non-smokers tend to see the bleeding dissipate more quickly than smokers.

Many women find that the breakthrough bleeding ceases after one or two cycles. Breakthrough bleeding that does not resolve on its own is a common reason for women to switch to different Pill formulations, or to switch to a non-hormonal method of birth control.

Breakthrough bleeding is most commonly caused by an excessively thick endometrium (uterine lining). This is not a dangerous condition, though the unpredictable and often lengthy periods of bleeding are unpleasant for the woman. Breakthrough bleeding may also be caused by hormonal side effects of ovulation. If the Pill is not suppressing ovulation, the woman is at high risk of pregnancy. Breakthrough bleeding may also itself be a symptom of pregnancy (contraceptive failure).

cheers

Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

AZ24 HB User

I don't think that all that info. is complete.
I am not on the pill right now, and haven't been for a long time.

Closed Thread