It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
(female)

mscash15 HB User
Unhappy obese and trying to get pregnant

i am 20 about to turn 21 and i have been trying to get pregnant for a year now, i am now 280 and i feel bad, i have not always been this way two years ago when i finnaly got engaged i started to gain weight becasue he did not care what i look like and now it is very hard for me to get pregnant and everyone around me is getting pregnant and i just feel so left out, i am now tryiing to diet so ican lose atlest 80 lbs. also i started to gain weight ten years ago when my dad had passed away from a heart attact he died at 42 and he was overweight like i was. now i just wont to lose weight so i can live a full life and have atleast one or two kids, i am about to get married in october so hopefully by then i can get below 250 which i dont think will be that hard.

i know that i am talking about random things but i hope it all makes sense.

if you have and advice to give me i would like that very much

Old 02-27-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

LISAMCGEE HB User
Re: obese and trying to get pregnant

good for you trying to lose the weight! Its not easy thats for sure, but if your honest and stick with it, you will see results! I used to be obese, when I got preg with my son (now 10) it happened on the first try and I was about 220 at the time. I ballooned to 268 by the time I delivered him, now this time around I am 115lbs (have been for over 9 years) and i have been ttc for over a year with only 1 BFP which ended in miscarriage. So it may be your weight, but it could also be a ton of other things, did your boyfriend have a SA done? Also when your dieting, if your not eating enough you will not ovulate, what methods are you using to confirm ovulation? I started BB temping about 5 months ago and I tell you its amazing to see what your body is doing. I wish I did that from the beginning. That would tell you if you are indeed ovulating. I wish you the best of luck ..... Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

h19 HB User

Good for you for trying to lose weight. It can't be easy with the stresses of a wedding and TTC.

Be as healthy as you can, and I'm sure your BFP will follow shortly!

Old 03-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
(female)

VoodooQueen HB User

Hey MsCash15,

It's a great step to want to lose the weight! Congratulations on making that decision for yourself. It will not only benefit you, but your baby as well.

I've suffered obesity and PCOS and the PCOS is now gone, but I'm still battling with infertility and menstrual disorders (although it's been better). Just like you, I packed on the weight just as I was entering my 20's. It was devastating because I was an obese child who managed to lose to baby fat by the time I hit my teenage years, and it was all coming back. I was overall an active person, I wasn't working out per say, but I was in school and working and doing all kinds of stuff that kept me up on my feet and going. But I gained about 100 lbs within a year.

1st advice from would be to go see a doctor to rule out that you may or may not have PCOS. You didn't give too much details about your health but since you mentionned the weight gain, and you're in your early 20's and you have trouble getting pregnant, that's the 1st thing I would check out with a doctor. Also, get your hormones checked to see if you don't suffer from excess estrogen or anything else like that.

Secondly, if I were you, I would take this oppportunity to change my habits. You're getting married, planning on having a family and it's a good time to set a good foundation for health in your family. Maybe obesity has been running in ur family, but you have the power to reverse that by improve your nutrition and incorporating some physical activity. It will only be good for you. If you can, omit meats in your diet. 4 years ago, I thought that the best way for me to cut fat in my diet was to cut the meat (hence the meat fat that your body doesn''t metabolise as well as fat from vegetable/nut sources). Then, after doing that for a few months, I realized how much better off I was without and how easily the weight was just melting away. I wasn't even exercising yet. I was actually quite sedentary. But I chose to stay away from meats and sugar (that was a hard one, but i did it gradully, like 1st, stop drinking pop, then after a little while, drink coffee with no sugar, little things like that that makes a HUGE difference).

If you're having trouble conceiving, treat your body as if u were pregnant already. Start talking supplements (if it's safe for you to take as per your Dr.), prenatal vitamins and fertility herbs. The secret is that those prenatal and fertility treatments (the natural ones anyway) are good for so many other things and it will definitely address hormonal problems, metabolism and energy levels.

For the past year or so, that's what I've been doing and I've never been healthier. I take prenatal vitamins everyday, I drink a breakfast shake that has green foods in it and boosted with great nutritients. I am now eating a diet of 50% raw foods and other foods (still strictly vegetarian for me, although I'll cheat and have some cheese at times. Tsk, tsk, tsk...). I've started to incorporate yoga and exercise and now I really feel like I'm almost reaching my full potential and I'm doing things I wasn't able to do for years (like touching my toes without beinding my knees! LOL).

My overall advice to you is you have an opportunity to change your body and it's been working and clean it of whatever you have put in it that is causing your current condition.

Don't see this as a downfall or a disease that you have to carry with you all your life. YOu're children don't even have to suffer from anything that you've suffered from. All you need is prepare your body to give healthy life. We can all give life, but healthy life is the challenge here and it can be done with just a little commitment and awareness.

I know it's hard for some people to make changes, especially in their diet, but you don't have kids yet and hoepfully, your husband to be will be supportive of you taking care of yourself and perhaps you guys can do it together (because men need to prepare to! The focus always seems to be on the women and getting her all the vitamins she needs to conceive, but the man gives you his seed and his state of health has just as much impact as your on your baby). It is definitely easier to do now that when you have kids who have already adopted certain eating habits and you know how kids are sometimes, it can be very hard to try to teach a child to change their diets and i know women who get discouraged from changing their eating habits because the family all want something different. Your timing is perfect and starting to do this now will benefits generations and generations to come after you.

I truly wish you all the best with your new beau, the marriage and the conception. You're still young, so make sure you insist with your doctor that they screen for any possible hormone disturbances you may have, especially PCOS, which seems to strike at around your age (it started for me when I was 19-20). This is just a great opportunity for you to set a new foundation for your new family life. And I think omitting meat will really help you in the long run and if you're not ready to do that, at least, give yourself a goal that you will only meat 2 days a week for example, or during the week ends, or whatever. And also, eating "vegetarian" junk food (like a bean burrito from Taco Bell - the most disgusting thing I've ever put in my mouth by the way) is not going to help you.

I hope this helps.

Blessings and guidance!
VQ

VoodooQueen

Old 03-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
(female)

mscash15 HB User

thanks for the advice obese really does not run in my family my dad was obese and he had died at the age of 42 with a heart attack i really dont have problems having periods i have them every month but for some odd reason this month is different i bleed for maybe one day but that was it

just wanted to update on thing i have started a new diet and now in 4 days i have last 5lbs so i am going to stick with the diet i made up

Last edited by mscash15; 03-06-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Closed Thread