It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
(male)

onxanax HB User
Conceiving while on Xanax?

Hello.
My dr gave me a prescription to Xanax a couple years ago to help treat my anxiety. I've been taking .5mg 3 times a day to prevent anxiety for the past 2.5 years. Whether or not this is the appropriate method to treat my anxiety or not- it works, and that is besides the point.

My question is- if my wife and I decide to go for another baby, or if it happens 'miraculously' lol, is me being on Xanax any type of risk factor for the baby in any way?

Reasons I'm asking is that my wife wants me to stop taking Xanax, stop drinking, and any other medicines I take before we try for a baby, because she's worried it will effect the baby in a negative way.

This is something I plan to ask my doctor when I see him next, but I'd like to hear answers from more than one source.

Thanks

Last edited by onxanax; 02-09-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

simplyheather HB User
Re: Conceiving while on Xanax?

I don't see any reason why you taking Xanax would change anything with the baby. All you really do is produce the sperm, her body is the one that actually makes the baby, and it is her that needs to watch what she consumes, and what goes into her body. The only thing is that if there are side effects to the Xanax that may change your sperm count or if it changes your mood toward sex... I'm not sure about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
(male)

onxanax HB User

I was thinking the same thing, but I wasn't sure.
There was a medicine i took as a teenager that the dr had to ask if I was sexually active because it WILL cause birth defects.
I wasn't sure if any medications (Xanax in this case) could cause abnormal sperm production or anything weird like that.

Gotta be sure.

Does anyone know for sure?

Old 02-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

dalila1981 HB User

Heres what i found on ask the experts:

My husband is on long term Suboxone and Xanax. We are thinking about starting a family soon. Do either of these drugs have any effect on sperm morphology? I am nervous about this and can`t seem to find any good information on it.

Answer:

Suboxone is a brand of buprenorphine and Xanax is a brand of alprazolam. Neither buprenorphine nor alprazolam have been reported to effect sperm shape and structure.

Discuss your concerns with your family doctor. Your doctor could order semen analysis to check the sperm if your doctor determined such testing to be beneficial and necessary.

Congratulations to you in planning a healthy start for your children.

Closed Thread