It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Trying to Conceive (TTC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
(female)

Lisa0620 HB User
HSG Hysterosalpingogram under Conscious Sedation

HSG Hysterosalpingogram under Conscious Sedation is the way to go.I just had this procedure done today&it was definitely the solution to my speculum phobia.I was wondering how many people have gotten 1 done this way?
My Dr. organized for this to be done for me as a favor because she was aware of how anxious&greatly affected I was by it.I sincerely recommend this so that u don’t go through the nightmares or horror stories so many online talk about.Remember,communication with your Dr. is crucial.I didn’t feel any pain during the procedure.My mom was in the room w/me while they were performing it,& I could follow instructions&turn my hip to the left&to the right&feel nothing.According to the assistants,I still had a firm grip on the speculum down there,but at least I didn’t feel anything.I was fully awake soon after the procedure.The nurse told me that both tubes filled up w/radioactive dye at the same time&spilled over like a champagne bottle like they should.I felt no pain so my husband,mom, &I went&grabbed McGriddles afterwards;Then I got home&took a nap.-4 hrs later …no pain-8 hrs later..still no pain.
Normally,I don’t blog or write anything online,but I want to help others&make them aware that there can be more options for them.I know that the least I could do is give back just like all of the horror stories I read online which helped me out so much.I believe they made me strong&helped me set my foot down&not settle for excruciating pain&horrible circumstances that could be prevented.So here it goes:
This is everything that I went through leading up to the HSG with conscious sedative.
My 1st attempt getting the HSG was on Thursday June 24th.It was the 2nd day of my period,but due to heavy bleeding they told me to come back in 4 days&make sure I wasn’t sexually active.So Monday June 27th came around&I went to the hospital having taken2 mg of xanax&10 mg of flexeril 1 hour beforehand I still could not handle it.I completely failed my 2nd attempt at getting the HSG.Once they tried putting the speculum in I said “Ow that hurts” so they stopped&they said it was because my muscles were very tense.(Well of course I already knew that is how I get with a speculum --that’s why I asked to be medicated during this procedure.)Then they tried putting the speculum in further & I said, “Ow I’m in pain.” I hear 1 of the girls there say..“I can’t even get the speculum to open.”So the 3rd time they went for it, I said,“Ouch that hurts too much.”& they asked,“Do u want me to stop?”I said“Yes”..so they explained to me that sometimes people have phobias&that for me this is 1 of them.I asked them if I could just get anesthesia&they said that only my Dr. could make those decisions&they didn’t know if it was possible because they had never done that before at the hospital since it was only a 10 to 15 min procedure.They were very nice in not forcing me to continue cuz they said that if they were to just forcefully pry me open,it would just be even more painful & uncomfortable for me.
The next day,I went back to see my Dr. to tell her how pathetic I felt for not being able to get this test done.My husband went with me.I was feeling completely depressed.I told her I knew that time was running out because they had explained to me earlier that this type of test is only performed during a certain window.I told her Friday would be the 10th day after my period&it would be the last opportunity for me to take this test this month.If not,I would have to wait for my period next month&book an appointment until then.I told her I have been stressed all summer long worrying about this test&I just wanted to get it done so that I wouldn’t completely consume my entire summer vacation feeling so anxious.
The Dr. was very understanding.She said she was going to try something else since obviously this hasn’t been working out.She asked me to wait&said she was going to make some phone calls&ask for a favor.When she came back,she said she was going to make arrangements for me&order for me to be consciously sedated just like people get when they are having a colonoscopy.She called the hospital to organize the whole thing with their staff as well since they had never done this before either.
The reason why I was going to the Dr. this summer is because I have been married 3 yrs.Having unprotected sex,&have not gotten pregnant.My husband&I are ready to have kids,so we went to the a women’s clinic&asked the dr. to check us both out just to make sure everything is working fine on both our ends.My husband was going to get a Semen Analysis&I was going to ask about the HSG to see if the baby making factory was working.This female Dr. is a family MD &not an OB/GYN, but she is great at what she does.She delivered my sister’s baby,& my sister was a tough cookie.She had preeclampsia,a blood transfusion (2 bags worth),& was in&out of the hospital for the last 3 months of her pregnancy. This Dr. took good care of her so I had decided she was going to deliver my future babies too.My husband&I met with the Dr.&made her aware that I have difficulties having a routine pap smear done because when they insert the speculum,I experience a lot of pain,&even when they try to pull out the speculum,my muscles contract&grab a hold of it&don’t let go.
I had a different female Dr. OB GYN that I went to in April to get my annual pap smear.It was horrible,she forced the speculum in&pried my vagina wide open&when removing the speculum, my vagina had a firm grip on it&she laughed in surprise, “Lisa!... Let Go!!!”I was like,“I would like to,but my muscles down there have a mind of their own”I didn’t go back to that office because I didn’t like the way she performed the pap smear.She also said that even though I have a history of PCOS since 2006,she doesn’t think I have it cuz all females have cysts in their ovaries.Cysts come & go. I asked well what about the hormones?My LH & FSH, & Testostorone levels were all messed up, but she said that it is also normal for my hormones to fluctuate.So this Dr. pretty much dismissed everything I had been getting checked for in the last 6 yrs.
Before her,I had a maleOB/GYN for4yrs who diagnosed me w/PCOS PolyCysticOvarianSyndrome.That Dr. was ok.He would do my pap smears w/a pediatric speculum,which I assume is the smallest1they have.On the4th year of getting a pap smear with him,he got frustrated&gave me a referral to a psychologist because he said there was absolutely no trauma,everything down there is completely normal physically,but by my reactions&reflexes,he was sure I was sexually abused as a child by a family member or something&blocked it out of my mind.After a couple months of pondering,who in my family could have possibly raped me,I decided I had a very happy childhood.I just had a really strict upbringing…where a girl isn’t supposed to have sex until she gets married&all that.So I didn’t go to the psychologist I was referred to because I feel like mentally,I am more than willing to get these procedures done.It is just that my muscles down there have a mind of their own&as soon as they feel the speculum, they contract&close up as much as they can.This is what causes my pain.The 10mg of Flexeril doesn’t work.
Here are medications in the past that have helped my vaginal ultrasounds run smooth.Once I took2mg of Ativan&it worked great.A year later,I built up a tolerance to ativan so I took the muscle relaxer Robaxisal that my bro. bought from Mexico for his scoliosis.It was way stronger.It has 400mg of Metocarbamol&500mg of acetylsalicylic acid &it helped me for the 2nd time I had the vaginal ultrasound. I don’t know that these medications would be recommended for the HSG so I didn’t take the chance.I didn’t want to risk taking any medications that had not been given to me by my Dr.I followed my doctor’s instructions to the T,&even though the1st two tries didn’t work.The 3rd time is a charm =) I hope my story helps anyone out there that is concerned over this procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread