It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2002, 12:28 PM   #1

aerochick HB User
Unhappy Frequent urinary tract infections????

I suffer from constant urinary tract infections, usually about 1 a month. I'm always on the antibiotic Cipro. It does help clear up the infection but then within a few weeks I have another.. Does anyone else suffer from these and if so is there anything has been done to help you long term?? Thanks for any help!!!

Old 02-11-2002, 01:05 PM   #2

Mercedes_Girl HB User
Cool

Hi aerochick!

I, too, used to suffer from chronic urinary tract infections. I used to get them monthly, despite doing everything that the doctors, etc would suggest (and I mean EVERYTHING). It was really starting to ruin certain aspects of my life. Luckily, I was in college when I got the majority of them, so my healthcare and meds were free. I would have been broke otherwise!!!

I'm not sure what happened, but I haven't had one now in nearly 2 years. I haven't changed anything, I just simply stopped getting them (*knocks profusely on wood). I thank my lucky stars every day.

I know this isn't much help to you. I feel your pain. I am sure that you are doing everything that the doctors suggest, and I'm not really sure what you can do beyond that aside from take your medicines completely. I had some internal tests done to make sure I didn't have any problems and they came out fine. If you are getting this many and it's really a problem, I would suggest talking to your doctor about this. They inserted a camera into my urethra (ouch) and took all kinds of photos, etc, and everything was status quo. Maybe you should talk to him about his for some peace of mind???

Other than that, I hope things get better for you. Like I said, I went from getting them monthly to not having one for nearly 2 years (*again, knocks on wood). Maybe the same good fortune will come to you???

Good luck, wishing you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2002, 01:24 PM   #3

aerochick HB User
Cool

Thanks for your reply... hopefully with any luck I will just stop getting them too!!!!

Old 02-14-2002, 01:53 PM   #4

RLeigh HB User
Yes, I have had them for 12 years. However, I get them mostly after intercourse. I finally went to see a urologist instead of calling my obgyn every time and having to go leave a urine sample. I have been on Macrobid now for two years and it has been a LIFESAVER. After sex, OR at the first sign of "tingling" I take a Macrobid and I'm good to go!!

Old 02-16-2002, 02:38 PM   #5

aerochick HB User
RLEIGH, how often do you take the Macrobid? Is it something you take everyday or just for 10 days, like the other antibiotics I have been on? I would appreciate more info. about this med. so I can ask my Dr. about it.. Thanks so much!!

Old 03-26-2002, 07:38 PM   #6

dsware HB User
I also have had chronic UTI's for many years. Anytime I have intercourse if I don't take the macrobid I will get a UTI. Which I never questioned for years but am now concerned about taking this medication for such a long period of time. I read an article which listed this type of med as causing liver problems with long term use. Recently, I decided to try an alternate method for controlling this problem. Went to the health food store and have been taken the cran pills and some other herbs. Hopefully, this will help. I have friends that it has helped. Anyone taking this med for a long period of time, like me, should talk to their Dr. about long term side affects. I know it works but is it safe?????? They always seem to leave that part out. Better safe than sorry. If anyone else has tried something natural and it has worked, let me know.

Old 03-28-2002, 08:06 PM   #7

margirl HB User
I also used to get chronic UTIs, and was told by a chinese herbalist that it was because of kidney yang deficiency. What this means is that my kidneys were not sending enough energy to the bladder to ward off infection/inflammation. I drank a "yang tonic" tea for 2 weeks and haven't had an infection since. I highly recommend doing some research to find out the CAUSE of your UTIs rather than just treat the symptoms. Just for reference, the kidneys/bladder work together very closely, and when something is chronically wrong with the bladder, it is most likely because of deficient kidneys. Best of health!

Old 04-01-2002, 10:20 AM   #8

katieJoy HB User
Hi everyone. I am a new member and I wanted to share some important medical news regarding UTI's.

A recent research found that a single, genetically identical strain of E. coli was responsible for outbreaks of urinary tract infections among women in Michigan California, and Minnesota. Because the germs are exactly the same, investigators decided they came from the same source, and the most likely source is food.

This research was conducted at the University of California at Berkeley and was published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

After reading about this startling revelation as reported in a small clip of our local newspaper, I started to think about the possible foods that I could have consumed that might have high amounts of E. Coli bacteria.

I decided that hamburger meat would most likely be a high source of bacteria since it is exposed to many more germs at the processing plants than other meats. I took out all hamburger meat in the diet. Even the well processed kinds from the fast food chains. I still eat steak well cooked and other meats. It is just hamburger meat that has been removed.

I am happy to report that I have been completely UTI free for many months now and I am so happy! I take baths again, I drink coffee, I drink alcohol, I have intimate relations - I am perfectly normal.

I wanted to share this good news for anyone who is suffering with these horrible infections. Please try removing hamburger meat from your diet and watch for the good results.

Thank you for letting me share my story. Feel free to email me if you would like to know any more or if you would like to read for yourself the on-line report of this new survey.

------------------

Old 04-03-2002, 07:21 PM   #9

friendinpa HB User
I have notice that many get UTI's after intercourse.
One thing I have read to help solve this is to urinate before and after sex. I too have gotten a few UTI's after intercourse and I started this habit and haven't had one since. Maybe try this and it could save you at least one infection :0)

I hope I could help.... good luck

Old 04-18-2002, 03:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

VegasGirl HB User
Definitely urinate before and after sex, and pop a few cranberry pills after intercourse each time. That should help. I get them a lot too, and every time I do it's after sex. I don't get one every time I have sex though. I hate them, though, they make you feel awful.

Old 04-19-2002, 03:08 AM   #11

Speedgal HB User
I had constant UTI's when I was about 18 for about 2 years. The thing that fixed it for me was a dilation of the urethra. Day surgery where they pass something up the urethra - it sort of stretches and unkinks it. Its believed that often a narrow urethra or one with little pockets in it is at the bottom of these constant infections. Anyway that fixed it for once and for all. In actual fact the investigation that was posted by another person that involved passing cameras etc up through there would have had the same effect.

I would seriously ask the doc about having it done - it really was no big deal at all and its far better than being on antbiotics all the time. I became allergic to a heap of them over that 2 years just from taking them all the time. Not good at all - what happens when you really need them.....

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #12
(female)

wilon HB User
Post Re: Frequent urinary tract infections????

I have had frequent UTI's for seven years now. It is so miserable I just want to cry. When I have intercourse, when I drink cold drinks, when I take a bath, if my husband gives me oral sex, if I use the wrong soap. Whatever it may be I get a horrible hurting urinary tract infection. This is so unbelievable that women actually suffer with this. I've been to the gyncologist, the urologist and they all tell me the same thing. I have had a cat scan done, a ultrasound done, the urologist even dilated me in his office, no hope. I've been on Floxcin, Bactrium, Macrobid, and Cipro. Whatever they give for UTI's I've had it. I try not to take baths, I try to urinate after sex. This is hopeless. My love life sucks. I don't know what else to do. What other kind of test should I suggest the urologist to run on me. DESPERATE HELP

Old 10-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #13
(female)

ksdarr HB User
Angry Re: Frequent urinary tract infections????

Hi Wilon,
I know exactly how you feel!!!! Unfortunatley. I have been suffering for a long time with frequent UTI's. Today is Oct, 18. I have had one since September 6. I feel like I am at the end of my rope. I have been on every antibiotic, but it keeps coming back. I saw a urologist today who did a very painful scope in the office, and said he can't find anything, so he is sending me for a ct scan. He also put me on macrobid everyday, indefinately. I don't think the ct scan will show anything, but I am tired of having these so often.

If anyone out there has any information they can share regarding a diagnosis that could cause them to happen so frequently, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Kathy

Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #14
(female)

BABYRUTH1979 HB User
Re: Frequent urinary tract infections????

you sound just like me. i'm in houston too. and i've had it since 2000 and i'm completly frustrated. i'm sorry you're going through this but part of me is glad that i'm not weird or crazy or mentally doing this to my self. I kept getting told that it's because of stress and that I was causing it. What crap. It's not like I wasn't feeling bad enough but to make me think that it's my fault. i even started blaming my boyfriend, stop having sex, and went into depression. i just found this site and part of me is relieved to know that it's not my fault and that i'm not crazy.

Closed Thread