HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Urology (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/)
-   -   microscopic blood in urine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/urology/109013-microscopic-blood-urine.html)

TSB 08-29-2002 03:23 PM

microscopic blood in urine

Hi:

Last year I had a undiagnosed kidney infection. I must have had it for weeks without even realizing it and just thinking it was a bad back ache.

Well, I got treated for it. Then I subsequently was diagnosed with microscopic blood in urine. I was then given a kidney ultrasound (normal) and a cytoscopy (normal). I still test positive for microscopic amounts of blood (trace levels). I do have a history of nocturia (urination at night). But that runs in my family.

My doctor said this microscopic blood is not normal and wants me to be retested again in 3 months.

What could the cause be????? I always thought it was the result of that bad kidney infection.

I am a bit worried.

bjg 08-29-2002 05:48 PM

if you havent already ..maybe you should see a urologist..also if you are worried about cancer..there is a test that can check for cancerous cells in urine..it is cytology...also by catherizing you the dr can tell if the urine in your bladder is clean or if it has blood in it..sort of a way of isolating the problem.....good luck

TSB 08-30-2002 11:40 AM

Actually I saw a urologist last year when they first noticed I had this blood in urine thing popped up. He did a visual examination of my bladder. It looked normal. I also had a kidney ultrasound done too, this was normal. But I don't think they ever checked for cancer cells. The nurse in the office said sometimes this does occur when people have benign (idiopathic) blood in urine. So, I went on my merry way.

But my pcp in this years annual physical said I still had the blood in urine. And because I have been having pain under my right rib cage, did a battery of tests on me. All tests normal (WBC, CBC, BUN, kidney function, liver function). I also had a complete abdominal ultrasound (kidneys, liver, pancreas and gallbladder) done. This too had no problems and showed all normal. My doctor thinks I have a "slipped rib" syndrome as the cause of the pain.

But she is concerned that I still have blood in urine and I am supposed to go back for another urinalisys in three months. Should I ask them to check for cancer cells?

bjg 08-30-2002 04:49 PM

if it were me..i would not wait 3 months..i would go to another urologist ...as i said by catherizing you they can determine if the blood is in the urine that is in your bladder ..or if the urine leaves the bladder clean ...this is a way for them to isolate the problem...ctyology/checking for cancer cells is done from your urine sample ..so it might be a good idea to do it just to cover all bases...

linmarbob 09-04-2002 10:04 AM

Hi I have the same problem blood in urine. I have had a IVP have not gotten results yet. Let me know how things are going with you. I did ask my Urologist is a little blood in the urine is normal and he said some people do have a little in their urine, what did your dr think, is a little blood normal or not. Also my blood was only microscopic not seen with the eye, only microscope. take care claire

TSB 09-04-2002 11:39 AM

Well, my first urinalysis showed "+2." When I did it again, it returned to "trace."

I had the urologist last year peer up into my bladder and visually inspect a urine sample. Normal. Kidney ultrasound normal. This year, ultrasound normal. But still the blood. I feel stressed having to wait for a few months to give another sample (I will insist for a cancer cells tests)!

All this started after that bad infection.

annie13 09-05-2002 04:24 PM

TSB, Guess what? Me too!! After the horrible infection I had, that went undiagnosed, I too suffer now from micro. blood in my urine. It is worrisome. I understand how you feel. Read my post, UTI/Bladder sling. My urologist is baffled also. My dad had bladder cancer. No trace of it now. I had IVP, ultrasounds, CAT scan. Still nothing. I am getting a second opinion. I really can't tell you how I feel about the dr.s that have done my surgerys. Not decent for public eyes. I hope things go well for you. Keep us posted!! There are alot of good people who post on these boards. Sometimes we can help each other to get the proper help we need. Best of luck to you. Annie