It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2002, 05:07 AM   #1

robby123 HB User
Post Embarassing Urology Test

I posted on another board without much response. I'll post here since this is the appropriate section.

Recently I went to the hospital ER. I thought that I had a urinary tract infection. I have had these before. I was having some pain. I thought that I would probably just have a urinalysis, get some antibiotics, and be on my way.

I was given a urinalysis first.

The attending physician starting asking me personal questions pertaining to my sex life. I assured him that
my wife and I were married for several years and very faithful to one another. Next he had me get undressed and get into a exam gown. He left the room while I was changing. I didn't understand what this was all about, but went along with it. When he returned he gave me a prostate exam. He then said to lie back on the table.
He opened my gown retracted my foreskin and said he was going to do a Sexually Transmitted Disease profile. He
inseted test swabs into me. This was very unpleasant and very embarassing to me. Of course the tests were negative. I just had a slight urinary tract infection.
He told me to drink plenty of fluids etc.

What is your opinion? Do you think that he did a lot of unecessary probing and testing. Knowing my past history of urinary tract infections I felt that it was unecessary.

Old 10-25-2002, 04:47 PM   #2
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Your past history of infections is exactly the reason this doctor was way more thorough in his examination. It is not very common for men to get bladder infections, and what he checked on you would be the normal procedure. Diseases and the prostate are the other two things to check. He was just trying to see if there was somethng else going on to cause you to get the infections. And everybody is asked these questions about their sex life, single people, males and females, because if the person did have a sexually transmitted disease, the partners would have to be checked also. So, I know the questions and tests are not comfortable, but they do this with everybody who has a history of infections.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2002, 10:16 AM   #3

annie13 HB User
Hello Robby,
I know it seems and is embarrasing. I feel I do not have any privacy anymore myself. The ER doctor did what he should of done. Next time you feel those symptoms go find a "good" Urologist in your area. You will find they are very experienced in this area. You did the right thing. To do nothing would have been worse. Definately find one with whom you are comfortable with. It will make the next experience a better one. Hope you don't have to, but just the same. I hope you are lots better now!!
Annie

Closed Thread