It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2002, 01:43 PM   #1

Lily0727 HB User
Post Is a 1cm kidney stone considered large?

Okay....to make a long story short. I have gone through 3 lithotripcy procedures to get rid of my kidney stone. The last time, they said that it was 4cm large which was also too large to pass. Having gone through 3 of these procedures, I now have a 1cm stone. My question is, is this something that is a passable size and can I drink alot of water, take vitamins or whatever I need to do for it to disolve on its own or at the very least....not grow larger. Is this something that I can just live with? Kidney stones do run in my family and I just hate to go through another procedure especially since it was only 3 months ago. I am really upset with my doctor because not only did they over medicate me during the procedure, I don't remember anything and when I supposedly came to, I was VERY sick. Not only that but the doctor never spoke to my husband after the procedure, or me, not a follow up call or anything. Then, I took a follow up xray to see if the procedure was a success, dropped the film off to the doctors office, they said that they would call me back that day, never did, and a week went by then all of a sudden, my doctors office calls, leaves me a message saying that they wanted to schedule another lithotripcy and I'm thinking, wait a minute....no one has ever talked to me about nothing and I'm just wondering if they just do this to get more money. I had told them, that I have not talked with the doctor (and still haven't) and I wasn't going to schedule anything. Any opinions on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2002, 07:31 PM   #2

terri48 HB User
Lily, first of all I am sorry your doctor is so insensitive. I hope you can find someone who returns your calls...but I have had the same problem with most doctors! The only stone you can dissolve with medication is uric acid.

I hope you have had your stones analyzed, adjusted your diet, so that you don't keep getting them. There is so much info on the web about this. Your dr. should be advising you on stone prevention. 1 cm. is a bit big to pass on its own. I was told and read that anything over 5-6 mm. will not pass easily. Mine was 2x3 cm. so passed easily (but painfully).

Drinking water may help the stone not increase in size, but I have a feeling you may have to have it broken up once again. Please make sure it's analyzed...reply to me if you want advice on prevention. Also, has your doctor done 24 hour urine collections and given you the results?

Old 11-08-2002, 08:06 PM   #3

Lily0727 HB User
Terri,

My doctor has done SQUAT! He still hasn't called me back, so, I will be looking for another Dr.! In your opinion, is this something that I can live with? These Lithotripcy's have just been a nightmare! My Dr. never advised of anything except to drink alot of water and that was 4 years ago and then again when I went to see him before this last procedure. I have been drinking more water because before, I wouldn't hardly drink anything at all. I think that I was told that they are calcium stones?? Does that make sense? I would love to know how to prevent it from getting any larger. Your advise is very much appreciated. If I can take vitamins, herbs, eat better or whatever I can do besides surgery and medication, I am willing to try. Otherwise, I can only pray that God will make it go away! Thanks so much for your reply!!!!

Closed Thread