It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2003, 10:51 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB Userpurple2067 HB User
Red face frequent nighttime urination

Hello all...

Lately I have been having a problem. I am a 22 year old woman who has had a lot of bladder problems throughout my life. When I was a child I had my bladder surgically stretched twice. I used to frequently get bladder infections. This has all pretty much resolved though, and my urination has been pretty much normal since my early teens. I also have yeast problems and frequently get yeast infections. But that has not been a problem lately either.

This is the problem that I am having now: I urinate normally during the day, with no problems what-so-ever. I use the bathroom right before I go to sleep at night, and I urinate normally (a good amount). But then about 5 minutes after I lay down I get the urge to go, and only a little tinkle comes out. Then I go back and lay down again, and the same thing happens. This happens about 2 or 3 times, sometimes more, before I go to sleep. It has been happening more frequently lately. I have been tested for a bladder infection and a yeast infection, and I do not have either. I experience no burning sensation or pain, I just have to go. I had a similar problem a few years ago, but then it was all the time, not just at night. I was examined by a top urologist who said that there was nothing physically wrong with me, and determined that it was due to a medication that I had been taking. I was taking Paxil, an anti-depressant, and one of the more rare side effects of it turned out to be frequent urination. So I stopped it and my bladder problems went away. But now I just do not feel like my bladder is emptying completely, but only at bedtime. Like I said, I pee once, and then 5 minutes after I lay down I have to go again, and again, and again, until my bladder completely empties. I can sit on the toilet for 10 minutes to see if I have to go anymore, but as soon as I go to lay down, I get the urge. Once I fall asleep I do not wake up, but this is making it difficult for me to fall asleep. Right now the only medications that I am taking are Lexapro, which is an anti-depressant that has been proven to have the least amount of side effects of any anti-depressant on the market, Aciphex for Acid Reflux, which I have been on for about a year, flaxseed oil capsules for my dry eyes, acidophilus and culturelle for my stomach.

I really don't want to go back to the urologist with such a stupid complaint. I think he'd look at me like I'm nuts. I can't imagine going in there and saying "ummmm, I am urinating a lot, but only when I lay down to go to sleep at night, but it doesn't wake me up once I fall asleep!" It just makes no sense to me. Why am I fine during the day (even when I take naps during the day, I have no problems) but then when I lay down to sleep at night, I have to get up and pee every five minutes? Does this seem like a strange complaint to go to the doctor with? I guess if I can't figure it out on my own I'll have to go back, but I'm just embarassed. Maybe I can bring it up at my next visit with my family doctor.

I drink lots of water and juice during the day, and urinate with a normal frequency. But nighttime is a different story.

Even though the Lexapro has little to no side effects, can that still be what is causing this? My body reacts to medications very strangely. I am always having all kinds of weird, unexplainable reactions. If anybody has ever heard of something like this, or knows of a possible cause or what I can do to stop it, please let me know.

I'm very confused.

Thanks,
Elyse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread