It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2003, 02:57 AM   #1
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
Post UTI or Kidney Stones?

I had an episode about 4 years ago where I had blood in urine and extreme stomach and back pains. The Doc's think I had a small stone pass through.
This seems to have started again in the last couple of days. The symptoms and pain are the same as before. The doc's have said it could either be a stone or kidney infection.

All I know is the pain comes in waves and is like nothing I've ever known. I end up doubled up on the floor not able to move.

Anyone else feel like that? What do you do to ease the pain?

Old 02-15-2003, 06:19 AM   #2

mety HB User
Hi, have you read my posting on this board? Read it as it wil give you a background to my problems. I last saw my doc on Thursday because of lower back pain and abdominal discomfort. He did a urine test and told me that I have another kidney/bladder infection. He prescribed me yet another course of antibiotics (cephelaxin). Since then, I've been experiencing nasty aches to my lower and mid abdomen and left and right kidney areas (front and back). Last night was the most uncomfortable night in months because of cramping pains to my lower left abdomen. This morning, the pain has spread again to my left side, just by the lower rib. I've taken some painkillers and am due to see my urologist on Thursday, but I'm not sure if I can wait, particularly because I don't want to experience to renal colic pain I had to my lower abdomen last year. I was curling over in agony for around 48 hours. And despite being given morphine I was still in agony!! I've done some reading and it looks like I've got a tone lodged in my urinary tract, but it should have passed through by now, pretty worrying huh!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
It's wierd, I had the pains really bad yesterday morning, for about an hour. Then it seemed to ease off and go almost completely for most of the day. I did go to the docs who gave me an injection of acupan for the pain.

Then about 4pm it started up again, not as bad but still painfull. After about 45 minutes it had eased but I was feeling pretty rough.

I've had backache and discomfort in my lower left abdomin all day today. I'm just worried the pain is going to come back at any moment.

Is it typical for stone pain to be there one minute and not a while later?

I'm also male.. 32

Old 02-15-2003, 12:18 PM   #4

mety HB User
It does sounds like either kidney stones with a urinary infection, or either on it's own, but i'm no doctor. Whatever the cause, it's obviously chronic and may be doing a little damage every time. What I would safely suggest is that you go back to your doc and INSIST on a urine dip test as well as a urine lab analysis which would look out for white blood cells amongst other abnormalities. Any presence of wbc's would indicate an infection. Believe me, you don't want an infection spreading to your kidneys or you'll be going through the same nightmare as me.
Whatever the case, I really can relate to the experience of abdominal renal colic..a living nightmare eh!
I'm feeling a little better this eve. My abdomen feels okay, although my temperature and blood pressure is slightly up and i've still got an upper back ache. Fingers crossed for tonight! Good luck!

Old 02-19-2003, 03:58 AM   #5
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
well, now I'm puzzled!

I've seen a doctor a few times in the last 5 days, different doctors at different times. The diagnosis has gone from probable UTI to probable Kidney Stones and now they have probable no idea!

I went to the doctors Monday with bad mid-lower left backache, abdo pain etc.. The doctor I saw said it probably was a stone and sent me for an x-ray.

I saw another doctor today, my urine lab results came back and showed no infection and a little blood but nothing to worry about! He did another dip test today and the protein and blood levels seem to have settled (no more little specs of blood)

Anyway, I've still got the backpain although the abdominal pain has eased off and I've been getting the odd twinge.

The backpain is like a spasm in my left back and side and there's a dull ache there all the time. So now I'm back to square one!

The doctor has given me some tablets to help me sleep hoping that the relaxation will settle the pain! If it's not a Kidney Stone then what other things could be giving me left back pain, nausea and abdominal pain?? It's mighty odd that the pain is around the left Kidney area.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:07 AM   #6
Inactive

Autumn Angel HB User
I would love to ask a question here if I could. I was dx with blood in my urine and a bit of protien. Re tested and the blood is still there but the protien is gone. Had bloodwork done and my white cell count is normal so no infection anywhere. But my MEAN CELL COUNT is high it should be 80 to 95 and it is 97 and my red cell count is low it should be 4.0 to 5.1 and it is 3.89. also my urine sample showed low SPECIFIC GRAVITY. Normal is 1.010 to 1.030 and mine is 1.005. Plus possitive for blood. I have an abdominal ultrasound booked and an IVP but I dont get in to see a urologist (sp?) till April 4th. Anyone know what this could be? There is definately NO infection anywhere by the blood and urine tests so could it be bladder or kidney stones? I do have lower back pain on occasion usually on the right side and front pain on the left side. Any help would be so apreciated.

------------------
Cheers...Autumn
Female...42
TMJD...12 years
Anxiety/Panic Attacks (cured I hope)
Total Abdominal Hysterectomy Ovaries left intact due to endometrial bleeding after miscarriage (2002)
Hernia Repair(1998)
Apendectomy (infected) 1988
Just Dx with multiple ovarian cysts..having C-125 test done for possible malignancy.
21 year old daughter born with Mullerian Aplasia.
18 yr old daughter bulimia survivor.
Pain Management- Oxycontin 20mg twice a day..Percocet for bt. 2 mg Dilaudid at bedtime.
" Wishing all a pain free day"

Old 02-20-2003, 01:16 PM   #7

mety HB User
Angry

Hi Chris, good to hear that your urine came back normal. I can understand though how it's left you a little bewildered. If you hadn't mentioned stomach pains as symptoms, I would have thought your problem could derive from a muscular problem. Pretty irritating huh! To the point though, do you know that kidney problems can also manifest into lower back pains. I'm not suggesting that your kidneys are on the way out or anything, but it's worth getting a U & E test done. It's a basic lab test to evaluate the effeciency of your kidneys (in as simple terms as poss!).
I saw my urologist today. He was as poka-faced as I expected, but atleast he's booked me in for a CT scan in three weeks and a follow-up appt in 6 six weeks. So here's to another long period of life on the edge sanity!
PS: Still aching.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:11 AM   #8
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
Well, I have no idea what's going on with my health to be honest!

I've still got a backache, just seems to be hanging around, on the left side of the back and it's tender around the waist area and front still.

Yesterday I had this weird sensation where my skin seemed really sensitive to any cold. The slightest draught and it felt a bit like the skin was burning, really weird. Not sure if it's something to do with the pills I'd been taking.

Woke up this morning with a bit of gut ache and feeling a bit nauseous again but it seems to have worn off.

Al I want is the feel bloody normal again!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 AM   #9
(female)

jane1991 HB User
Re: UTI or Kidney Stones?

I'm a 16 year old girl and i'm a bit confused as to what's happening with my health.

about 6 months ago i had painful urination on and off. It would last a day or two, then stop, then a week later i'd get it again but it would hurt even more. After about 6 weeks, (October) i booked an appointment with my GP who gave me 6 Trimethoprim tablets . I only took 4 (which was a mistake i now know) because i felt fine and didn't like the idea of taking tablets.

I was fine for about 3 or 4 weeks until i woke up one morning with the worst abdominal pains i have ever had. It would come in waves and feel like burning almost. It also hurt to urinate. After 2 days this stopped. but i couldnt get a doctors appointment.

Now, just after New year, ive been having back pains for about a week so far in my mid to lower back, felt nauseus a few times, and had blood in my urine a few days ago, although that has stopped now. Last week i had a few random chills where i would just be in bed then suddenly start shivering for a bout 5 minutes then stop.

Do the symptoms of UTI usually come and go like this? Ive had back pain for a week now, it has stopped hurting to urinate now, but i know it will come back soon.

I have an appointment booked next week. What will happen? Does anybody know what could be wrong with me?

please reply.

thanks

x

Old 02-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #10
(male)

chriscwharris HB User
Re: UTI or Kidney Stones?

I would go get yourself checked again, kidney stones and the like are very painfull and can lodge themselves in nasty places. Your GP should be able to do a dip test to check for blood in your urine and possibly blood tests. If it continues they may send you for an ultrasound or an xray where you drink some fluid that shows up in your bladder and tubes more easily.

Hope you are feeling better.

Closed Thread