It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2003, 11:59 AM   #1

TSB HB User
Post Microscopic hematuria

Hi everyone:

A few years ago I had an infection, an symptomless uti possibly that reached my kidneys. It was only noticed when I had a urinalsys on my annual physical.

Since then, every time I have a urine test they find microscopic blood, also known as hematuria.

I have seen a urologist for this. Had a cytoscopy, abdominal/kidney ultrasound/kidney function tests, and a IVP last year. All these exams came back normal. Nothing could be diagnosed. Nevertheless the hematuria is still present. The urologist said he sees only the "odd red blood cell or two."

My questions are:

Can an infection create a long term problem of hematuria?

Now that I have hematuria, does it mean my kidneys are weakened/compromised and possibly degenerative?

Each new doctor I meet (those filling in for PCP when she is gone) who is not familiar with my case, always stresses its not normal and this makes me stressed.

Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Tina

Old 03-22-2003, 11:13 AM   #2

am HB User
Hi Tina - I have had microscopic hematuria since age 8 (I am 26 now). I have had just about every work-up under the sun to figure it out (24-hr urine, various blood tests, cystoscopy, multiple IVPs, multiple ultrasounds, nuclear renal scan, renal MRI, etc.) - I have seen urologists, nephrologists, etc. 99.9% of the time I have a urinalysis done they find red blood cells. I have never gotten a clear answer on why I have this. I do have a history of kidney stones but the red blood cells show up even w/o a stone and have been present for about 18 years now.
So I am in a similar situation as far as not knowing the cause - my kidney function is normal and they haven't found a reason for the red blood cells. I'm not sure whether or not an infection could cause this - I know every new doctor I go to gets concerned with the red blood cells and looks for a reason and can't find one!
Have you ever been tested for protein in your urine?
Good Luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #3

TSB HB User
Protein?

I am not abasolutely certain. I would think so being seen by a urologist and that my primary care physician is very thorough. But I will ask on my next annual physical coming up.in 6 weeks.

I have heard about childhood hematuria being one form of hematuria that is fairly benign.

I only started having this at age 34.

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2003, 03:17 AM   #4
(female)

whitesheep HB User
I also have the same problem and the doctor doesn't know why blood cells appear in my urine. I had a cystoscopy and an ultrasound etc and they couldn't explain it. I find that my urinary system seems to be more" sensitive" to my body becoming dehydrated and I have to try and ensure I drink enough.

Closed Thread