It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
Post ANOTHER QUESTION...

I'm on my 3rd round of antibiotics for a UTI. I no longer have the burning, pain, and am able to urinate normally once again, but I am still feeling like I have to urinate even after emptying my bladder. How long is this feeling going to last? I've never had a UTI before--this is driving me nuts! Its been 4 weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2003, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
It is impossible to say when this situation will abate, as every person's body is different and I don't know what they gave you or what else might be going on. In the meantime though, it is best to drink as much water as possible and stay away from any bladder irritants such as beer, soda (anything carbonated really), anything filled with sugar (like commercial fruit or sports drinks) and citrus juices like orange or grapefruit juices. It sounds harsh, but these things will irritate your bladder and could keep that problem going for awhile. Try to buy some juices from the health food store that are fruit-sweetened and not loaded with white sugar, especially cranberry, cherry, blueberry, or apple. Give your body what it needs and this problem should clear up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2003, 03:30 PM   #3
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
thanks for the input..i'm on my 3rd round of Bactrim for this UTI..i was on Cipro for 3 days but that didnt touch the infection..I kind of thought the infection was clearing up but am now starting to have a hard time urinating allthough I have the urge. That urge seems to be with me constantly. I've been drinking lots of water and 100% cranberry juice daily. All the fluids are making the urge to urinate even worse of course. I'm going back tomorrow (4/17) to see my dr to see if theres something else that might be going on. I've never had a UTI before so I have nothing to compare it to--whether the symptoms i'm having are normal, etc. HOpefully my dr can get to the bottom of this thing before I go totally insane.

Old 04-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Glad to hear you are trying to take care of this further. Last night I was on the subway and realized I forgot to mention 2 other major bladder irritants, caffeine (coffee, tea, cola, chocolate), and dairy (milk, etc.). These used to really bother me until I cut them out.

Another question I have is, did the doctor do testing and really determine that this is a UTI? Reason I ask is that sometimes if there is no bacteria present in the urine but there are these types of symptoms, it could be a prostate infection. That's what I am having now. Anyway, more food for thought... but hope your doctor visit goes well, make sure to ask lots of questions. - Al

Old 04-17-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hi again :-).....i guess i didnt mention that i'm female, which makes me exempt from prostate problems..:-)......i went to the dr today (saw a different dr since mine was on vacation) and he actually listened to my symptoms WITHOUT interrupting me..then he let his medically trained mind go to work....he retested my urine sample and it came back clear--no infection or anything abnormal...he recommended a pelvic and pap exam, which the pelvic exam was normal (he was checking to make sure my bladder hadnt fallen) and i'm hoping the pap test comes back normal (will find out in a couple of days)..he came to the conclusion that i had a yeast overgrowth in my bladder, which apparently can mimic a tract infection...he prescribed 2 doses of Diflucan and told me to finish out my last fews days of Bactrim (antibiotic)..I took the first Diflucan pill around noon today..by about 6-7pm I started feeling some relief...YEAH!!!..I'm not getting my hopes up too high for fear it may come back before I get to rejoice being able to urinate again!..haha....thanks for all your input!..i hope you start feeling well real soon...keep us posted...:-).....diana

Old 04-18-2003, 12:38 PM   #6
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Diana,

Oops, sorry, I never know sometimes who is male and who is female on boards like this...anyway, glad to see that you went back to a more sympathetic doctor.

Interesting about the yeast infection mimicking a bladder infection. I bet SO many people have that same problem and do not even know it.

BTW, it is good I suppose that the Diflucan can relieve the immediate symptoms, but does it really get rid of a yeast overgrowth at the source (the colon)? That is where the yeast begins to proliferate. I had a candida/yeast problem about a year ago and got rid of it through a diet change and a good Probiotic (Primal Defense). Now I feel much better, because it also causes things like fatigue, foggy brain, gas,and many other symptoms.....

Old 04-18-2003, 09:20 PM   #7
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hey again :-)....i guess we should all state our gender on here huh?..haha............as for my symptoms--they are slowly disappearing..i think the quick feeling of relief i got was just the beginning of what i believe is going to involve another trip to the dr's..:-(..something told me not to get my hopes up..oh well, atleast some relief is better than none.....i took my 2nd dose of diflucan today..have also had symptoms off and on today..sometimes its intense other times i almost feel cured..i'm assuming those feelings are just the medicine at work..i'm going to give it until tuesday (the meds leaflet says to give the medicine 3-5 days to work)..i guess i'm just looking for a quick fix since i've been dealing with this for 5 weeks now...i think my next trip to the dr will end up in a urologists office..i've never been to one (other than the one who treated me several years ago for a kidney stone)..i'm REALLY hoping that this all clears up.........hopefully things are going well for you....til next time....:-)

Old 04-20-2003, 11:16 PM   #8
(female)

cb50 HB User
Hi Diana - Yeast in your bladder? I honestly have never heard of such a thing. Has anyone tried you on a different antibiotic? Sometimes it depends on which bacteria is present to know which antibiotic to prescribe as not all of them will work. I personally have always used ampicillin, which will start to work by the next day. Also, you can have an infection and still have your urine show negative. In any case, you should not still be having symptoms like this 5 weeks later. If you are, it can only be one of three things - you need a different antibiotic; your bladder is still going through spasms from the infection and should abate soon; or you have IC, which you will need a urologist to confirm. I would suggest a different antibiotic first, and if you're still not feeling better then yes, you will need to see a urologist as he is the only one who will be able to treat you.

Take care.

Old 04-21-2003, 12:31 AM   #9
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hi..:-)...well its been 3 days since my first dose and 2 days since my second dose of the Diflucan..today I have felt almost back to normal..the bladder contractions are almost gone, except of course when I have to use the bathroom..i seem to be passing urine normally once again..i think the Diflucan is working..I've still got a couple of days of it to remain in my system so hopefully if things still go as they are with this med i should be back to my old self, finally, by tuesday....thanks so much for all the replies...i wanted to ask, what exactly is IC?..and how is it treated?....thanks..:-) diana

Closed Thread