It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
Post WHATS INVOLVED......?

i'm back again, still battling this bladder thing..went to GP today, he cant do anything more so he set me up an appt with a urologist for 5/5. Urologist is planning on doing a cystoscopy..i want to know what exactly is involved in this procedure? please share with me your experience..was it painful?..how long did it take?..how do you feel afterwards?..etc...thanks everyone....oh, i'm also on Pyridium for the next 7 days to help with the full bladder feeling i have constantly..has anyone else ever used this temporarily?...forgot to mention too that the dr seems to think that i might have interstitial cystitis..anyone with info on this please respond....stay well..

Old 04-25-2003, 11:26 PM   #2

LS8219 HB User
hi. my name is lauren. I have had 2 cystoscopies. the way they did it for me was going up the urethra and popping the cyst. you'll have slight burning for a few days after but nothing big.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2003, 06:03 AM   #3
maude&bandit

It is not painful. I had one done and is more embarrassing than painful. But try to be calm. They make undress, put you in a position like going to have a pap test, put in a bit of freezing (you do not even feel that) and then take a look. Then they fill the bladder with water and told me to copugh. That way they can tell if you leak or not. Nothing to it. It took 5 minutes all together. After it was done I wondered why I was so nervous.

Old 04-26-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
(female)

cb50 HB User
Hi - If you go to any medical site and type in interstitial cystitis in their search box, it will tell you everything you need to know about it (it will also explain the procedure the urologist will do and why he's doing it). Or go to yahoo and type it in. It's a condition that very closly resembles a UTI...but isn't. And there really isn't alot they can do for it, either. But I have read where many people can control it with diet. By this, I mean sticking to a bland diet and cutting out anything stimulating, irritating, etc. That would be anything spicy, tomatoes, onions, caffeine, chocolate, etc. The thought on this is to keep the bladder from becoming irritated, which causes your symptoms. It doesn't work for everyone but it's definitely worth a try. You know, I think I have something saved on this, let me go look and be right back....

Old 04-26-2003, 07:44 PM   #5
(female)

cb50 HB User
Yes I do, I have a complete article on it but it's way too long to post here. If you would like to post your email address, I'd be more than happy to send it to you as you may wish to take it to your doctor. There's another condition that you may have also, that you might want to bring up to your doctor when you go, called 'Acute Urethral Syndrome'....

Acute urethral syndrome causes symptoms similar to those of a bladder infection but that continue for long periods. No bacteria or other microorganisms are found in the urine.
Causes are difficult to determine but have been attributed to injury or irritation, allergies, stress, a disorder of the nerves, or problems with the immune system.
Treatment includes:
h Anticramping medications.
h Cryosurgery (using extreme cold to destroy tissue).
h Estrogen therapy in women who have gone through menopause.
h Biofeedback techniques to improve urination.
h Stretching the opening of the tube leading from the bladder to the outside of the body (urethra). Many experts believe this treatment does not help.

'Irritable Bladder' is a feeling of irritation in the bladder or tube that leads from the bladder to the outside of the body (urethra). It can be due to stress, local irritation, or a problem with the nerves that control the bladder.
Irritable bladder is diagnosed if there is irritation or pain when urinating and urine tests do not find an infection.
Treatment includes avoiding sources of irritation (such as tight clothing, bubble bath, alcohol, and caffeine). Relaxation training and/or medication to relax bladder muscles may also be needed.

Interstitial cystitis (IC), one of the chronic pelvic pain disorders, is a condition resulting in recurring discomfort or pain in the bladder and the surrounding pelvic region. The symptoms of IC vary from case to case and even in the same individual. People may experience mild discomfort, pressure, tenderness, or intense pain in the bladder and surrounding pelvic area. Symptoms may include an urgent need to urinate (urgency), frequent need to urinate (frequency), or a combination of these symptoms. Pain may change in intensity as the bladder fills with urine or as it empties. Women's symptoms often get worse during menstruation.
One theory being studied is that IC is an autoimmune response following a bladder infection. Another theory is that a bacterium may be present in bladder cells that is not detectable through routine urine tests.

I have more for you to read but it's too much to print here. If I can hep by sending more, please let me know.

Old 04-27-2003, 09:24 PM   #6
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
thanks everyone for the replies..i'm more nervous about the cystoscopy than i am about hearing whats wrong with me..i've been having symptoms of a UTI for over 6 weeks..the last urine specimen showed no infection, however i feel like i have to "go" constantly--i dont get relief by emptying my bladder..its driving me insane!..the pyridium is helping tremendously, but unfortunately its not for prolonged use..i'm only taking one pill a day (dr prescribed 3/day) but since i'm getting relief from 1/day i'm going to stick with that until i see the urologist..its comforting to know that the cystoscope isnt that bad...it sounds as if the dr will give me some sort of local anesthetic-is that correct?..i did a search for IC and tons of stuff came up..i'm kind of hoping thats nots what wrong with me since its not really curable...i've never had any type of urology problems (except for a kidney stone back in '89) so all of this has really thrown me for a loop!..thankf for replying and if anyone else has an info on how my urology visit might go please let me know..i'm a bit nervous...

Old 04-27-2003, 11:52 PM   #7
(female)

cb50 HB User
Can I ask how old you are? Would you by any chance be going through menopause?

Old 04-28-2003, 08:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I agree that the cystoscopy is no big deal. But as for the first couple of times you have to "go" afterward . . . well, for me, at least, I would have to say the "burning" was a little more than "slight". But that doesn't last long either . . . and, as you say, if it leads to answers, it's nothing at all.

Good luck!

Old 04-28-2003, 08:05 PM   #9
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
i guess i could offer some background..
35 female
take meds for HBP and hypothyroid
slightly overweight, but working on that
having symptoms of early menopause--getting checked fot that this week by GYN

Old 05-06-2003, 05:36 PM   #10
(female)

Sehsun HB User
I've had 4 cystoscopies before. I was put under general anesthesia, so I didn't feel a thing during the procedure. However afterwards, I was in pain, especially when I urinated. Also I had pain in my side because my urologist made an internal incision. My mom doesn't remember how long the cystoscopy took, so I am guessing about 1 hour. Afterwards, I felt groggy from the anesthesia. And the hospital doesn't let you leave until you urinate. And depending on what kind of situation you had, there might be blood in the urine.

I hope everything went smoothly!!

~Iris~

Old 05-08-2003, 07:53 PM   #11
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
thanks for all of the replies..i go for the cystoscope on 5/21..its being done in the dr's office..the only anesthetic i'm going to have it a gel thats put on the opening of the urethra..everyone in the dr's office told me thats its not a painful procedure and not to worry about it..however, a friend of mine had one done a couple of days ago and she said that it wasnt pleasant at all and she would not have another one done ever..so thats 2 different ends of the spectrum..what would everyone else say--painful or not?..i know everyones tolerance to pain is different but i cant imagine something thats being done in my dr's office and is so routine is going to be THAT painful.the friend who just went through this is somewhat of a hypochondriac and always makes things appear worse than they usually are, so i'm not going to fret over it..i'll trust my dr's...........another question, has anyone ever here had an IVP? if so, how long did it take you to recover, so to speak, from the prep the day before the IVP?..i'm still not quite feeling myself...let me know....hope everyones doing well.......

Closed Thread