It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2003, 09:05 AM   #1

babyruth24 HB User
Post 3yr old w/blood in her urine

I have a 3yr old little girl that has had blood in her urine since Nov. I took her to the doc yesterday and she put her on antibiotics, but the thing is when they have cultured her urine it came back negative for bacteria. They said that she did not have an infection. On her chem panel that she had done in Nov it showed that something was seriously wrong with her kidneys. Her BUN & creatine among other things was high. She also had high levels of glucose in her urine. The doc checked her for diabetes and that was negative.
I am really worried that something is seriosly wrong with her.
I just want to know if someone else has gone through this and what it might be that is causing the blood.
Any info would be great.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
babyruth,

I am really sorry to hear about this. I have no kids and although I have had blood in the urine, it was from a prostate infection. My question for you is, when the doctor said it was not diabetes, did he/she offer another possible explanation? It seems to be kidney-related, and kidney problems are not something to be taken lightly. Is there going to be a follow-up visit to that doctor, or another? I am surprised that it seems from your description that the doctor you have is not giving you more info. Did you press him or her for more details? I would not leave that office until I got some sort of reasonable explanations or recommendations for follow-up.

- Al

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2003, 12:44 PM   #3

babyruth24 HB User
She said that she would refer her to a urologist. I was supposed to get a call today for the appointment. I had to press the issue though.
I am just wondering if the creatine and BUN could be high do to something that isn't serious??
Would you know about that??
Thanks,
Jessica

Old 04-17-2003, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Hi Jessica,

I am not too knowledgeable about that unfortunately. However I do know that creatine is an amino acid and is not only produced by the kidneys and pancreas, but it is found in meats and fish. It helps to form a substance called ATP which is used by the body for energy production. Atheletes actually take creatine sometimes for energy boosts, but the whole practice obviously has health risks. I have also read that high creatine/high BUN levels can be caused by kidney damage or disease, dehydration, or obstruction of the urinary tract such as by a kidney stone. That may be something (kidney stone) that the urologist might need to check out.

Here is an article I found on Google about creatine/kidneys that looked helpful:
[url="http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:e6xQmheDE-EC:*****.lycos.com/NR/internal.asp%3FGUID%3D%257B6D8A18D3-A90D-457C-88E2-7EAB22D5CD16%257D+high+creatine+high+BUN +kidney&hl=en&ie=UTF"]http://216.239.57.100/search?q=cache:e6xQmheDE-EC:*****.lycos.com/NR/internal.asp%3FGUID%3D%257B6D8A18D3-A90D-457C-88E2-7EAB22D5CD16%257D+high+creatine+high+BUN +kidney&hl=en&ie=UTF[/url] -8

You may also wish to check out Google and look for more articles on this - I entered "high creatine high BUN kidney" for the search.

In the meantime (before the doctor visit) I am also wondering if it might be helpful to put your daughter on some sort of low-protein
and/or vegetarian diet for now? Reason is, if the kidney is producing too much creatine and BUN now, more meat and too much meat protein is only going to add to the problem. It's a though, and you may want to consider that for now. Hope this helps somewhat...

Cheers,
Al

Old 05-08-2003, 05:40 PM   #5

funchick HB User
my 9 year old had blood in her urine too. the doc told us that it was viral and that it would go away on its own. Like your daughter, there was no infection, but they put her on antibiotics. Well, I pushed and pushed, and it is a good thing that I did. Our sweet nine year old has kidney stones. She has spent weeks in the hospital since then, and had 3 surgeries in 4 weeks, one of which was an emergency surgery. To say the least, we were LIVID with the doc. Our girl is scheduled for additional surgery next week, and the cause of her stones is still unknown.

I didn't mean to talk your ear off, but I have one important thing to say. God gave parents intuition for a reason. Follow your gut feeling, and push until you get answers..... other than "its viral" or some other bs.

Old 05-11-2003, 01:51 PM   #6
(female)

Pfretzsch HB User
Do a search on this Board for "Tramatized at the Urologist's." Do your best to protect your kid from going through what I did at the urologist's office. FYI: For kids this young, they usually use general anestesia before submitting them to nasty procedures. In my opinion, they should use general anesthesia more often for older kids in such situations. The crap they do to people hurts and the trauma lasts a long time.

Closed Thread