It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

jencor2 HB User
Question recurrent uti's help!

for about 4 months now I have suffered with recurrent uti's even hospitalized for 2 days with infection of my kidneys and bleeding I have had cronic back pain burning while urinating the drs cant seem to find whats wrong I am 31 and I have had a ct scan and an ivp both normal I have been on antibotics so long levaquin cipro u name it I also came home from the hospital with iv antibotics that I had to administer for 2 weeks one gemacin (not sure of spelling) caused me to turn toxic I am so tired of this and have been to a urologist and everything all tests are normal so I am going to see if I can schedule an appointment with an obgyn I started taking cranberry tablets today hoping it will help if any else suffers from any of the above and have found out whats wrong please any help would be appreciated

Old 05-26-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hello!..i feel for you and can relate to what youre going through..i too have been dealing with a urinary problem for the last 3 months..it started out as a UTI, cleared up, came back, cleared up..i took a course of Cipro and 3 courses of Bactrim..all along still having symptoms (constant urge to urinate and lower abdominal pressure) even when no infection was present...my primary care dr FINALLY sent me to a urologist who ordered an IVP and a cystoscopy..the IVP was normal (except small stone in left kidney, which dr said isnt causing problem)and the cystoscopy showed irritation of the bladder wall and urethra which dr said is causing my problem..dr gave me 3 Cipro pills to take after the cystoscopy but is playing a lets wait and see game with the irritation...apparently he doesnt understand just how annoying, irritating, and frustrating the feeling of having to urinate constantly is...dr told me to drink tons of water and i have to see him again mid June..however i think i'm going to give him a call within the next couple of days because i'm not sure how much longer i can go on (mentally) feeling like this....so with my story being told, i can surey symptathize with what youre going through...have you had any tests other than urinalysis?...what are your exact symptoms?.have you ever had this before?..i've never had a UTI or any type of urinary problems other than passing a stone when i was 19--i'm now almost 35...keep me posted on how youre doing...have you found anything to help your symptoms, such as herbal remedies or OTC remedies?...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
(female)

jencor2 HB User
hi thanks for replying I have had an ivp done and it was normal no stone no nothing I also have had a ct scan done also normal and no I havent taken anything that makes it feel better the antibotics help some I am on levaquin right now I think I need to have the cystoscopy done can u tell me how that is different than an ivp is it a better test? I start a new job next week making good money I am so worried that these infections will intefere with my job let me know what u find out sounds like we might be in the same boat here
Jennifer

Old 05-27-2003, 08:09 PM   #4
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hi jennifer....our scenarios sound quite similiar...about the cystoscope-the dr actually looks directily into the urethra.bladder, ureters (if needed) and kidneys (if needed)..the dr insert a catheter then a tiny light and camera type instrument or telescopic looking instrument in through the catheter and can see any abnormalities that might be present..the dr distends your bladder (with a saline solution or gas) so he/she can get a good look at the inside of the bladder..depending on what the dr thinks that he/she might find depends on how much the bladder will be distended..if it has to be distended too much the dr will do the procedure in a hospital under general anethesia..otherwise its done in the dr's office...as bad as this procedure may sound, its nothing to worry about..i had no discomfort at all (other than the feeling of having to urinate when they distended the bladder) but it was nothing more than feeling like you have to go real bad right then...my dr used a mild anethetic that he put in to the urethra which moved through the bladder and ureters...it was a gel-like substance..there was no pain/discomfort while he was doing that either..the procedure from start to finish took maybe 10 minutes..the dr will give you the results after the test is complete..if no antibiotic is helping your symptoms i would highly reccommend you get to a urologist and let him do the cystoscopy..hopefully he will find out whats going on with you....in my case, my dr found some "mild irritation" in my bladder with no signs of any type of infection....he gave me Cipro (to ward off infection from the cystoscopy) and Urised to help with my discomfort..however i had to call him back today (5/27) to inform him that I'm still having symptoms while taking the Urised so i have to see him again on 6/3 instead of 6/19 (which was my next scheduled appt)...i just want to be back to normal..my symptoms showed up literally overnight..one day i was fine, next day i had symptoms and have had them ever since...was this your case too?....post back soon.........

Old 05-27-2003, 08:46 PM   #5
(female)

jencor2 HB User
my symtoms include burning stinging when I pee back pain cronic at times urgency to urinate I called my primary dr today to see if he would scedule me a test at the hospital a cytoscopy I didnt like the urologist I went too so I figured if my primary dr would schedule me a test that would be fine like I said my ivp and ct scan were both normal I went today for drug screening for my new job and failed and I have never did drugs in my life I have been reading online and it said maybe the antibotics could give a false positive on a drug test so they r going to send my urine off and see what caused the false positive I am so frustrated seems I cant get a break I hope the cytoscopy will show something even though u dont want something to be wrong with u u still want to know hey there has to be something wrong please! find it I really hope u get to feeling better u seem like a good person by the way I am orginally from Va

Jen

Old 05-27-2003, 08:48 PM   #6
(female)

jencor2 HB User
by the way does the cytoscopy show more than the ivp? just wondering what the difference is? Is a cytoscopy more accurate?

Thanks
Jen

Old 05-27-2003, 08:49 PM   #7
(female)

jencor2 HB User
by the way does the cytoscopy show more than the ivp? just wondering what the difference is? Is a cytoscopy more accurate?

Thanks
Jen

Old 05-27-2003, 10:58 PM   #8
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hello again jennifer .....the cystoscopy can detect the cause of urinary infections,blood in urine,incontinence or overactive bladder,abnormal cells,painful urination/pelvic pain,urinary blockage, stones, or any unusual growths. ...The IVP exam can detect problems within your urinary tract resulting from kidney stones; enlarged prostate; internal injuries after an accident or trauma; tumors in the kidney, ureters, or urinary bladder; and other changes...i hope this explains it more for you and hopefully when you have yours done you'll get some answers...its SO frustrating, isnt it?.........you said youre taking Levaquin?..my primary dr gave me a script for that but told me to fill it only if I started to run a fever..that never happened, fortunately...someone was asking me if i have given any thought to my problem being gynecologically related..today i scheduled an appt with my GYN to make sure nothings screwy in that dept causing me this problem..have you thought about going that route?.........................what part of VA are you from?..I'm in Va Beach........til your next post...

Old 05-28-2003, 11:03 AM   #9
(female)

jencor2 HB User
yes I have thought about going that route and I am going to make an appointment when I am sure of my work schdule they havent told me what it is yet thanks for explaining the difference to me I have had levaquin about 4 times already with this infection cipro once and when I came home from the hospital I was on 2 iv antibotics ( yes I had a iv in my arm for 2 weeks) it sucked only to find out one of the antibotics caused me to go toxic cause my body was rejecting it so the iv was for nothing while I was in the hospital I started bleeding heavely like a period but the blood they found out was coming from my kidney cause it was so badly infected oh by the way my primary dr said yes I could have a cystoscopy but they r going to call me back about when and where thanks again for your help hope todays a better feeling day for u and I am from the deep mountains of Va near whitetop Va
Jen

Old 05-28-2003, 07:01 PM   #10
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
thats a real downer about the IV experience......do you experience more symptoms during different times of the day?.my symptoms seem to be worse in the morning..not sure if theres anything to that but i'm going to mention it to the uro next week..i also feel more lower ab pressure when lying on my back..its all weird to me..funny how our bodies are lovely when theyre working right but one little thing that gets off can really mess you up.........thats good that your dr is going to get you in for a cystoscopy..hopefully you'll find something out...keep me informed....

Old 05-28-2003, 08:09 PM   #11
(female)

jencor2 HB User
my dr's nurse called me today and wants to send me to a infectious disease dr she said that that is the best kind of dr to go to when all else fails and my primary dr will not order a cystoscopy for me they want me to see the infectious disease dr and then him send me for one just more of having to go to different drs if u ask me but maybe u should think of going to an infectious disease dr also

Jen

Old 05-29-2003, 07:28 PM   #12
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
what prompted your dr to refer you to an infectious disease dr?

Old 05-29-2003, 07:33 PM   #13
(female)

jencor2 HB User
well he said he was going to but I havent heard from the office I am so tired of dealing with my primary dr it isent even funny anymore but I was researching online and read the Uti's are the second most infectious disease which I read basically mean that your dr has tried everything yet u r still sick which then they refer u to infectious disease dr I am going to go back to my urologist but I have to wait til I found out what my new jobs work schedule will entail I called my urologist today she told me they can do the cystoscopy right in the office only thing is I hate to wait any longer for treatment my back is hurting badly and I have spots of blood in my urine I asked if they could get me in tomorrow or monday but it was a no go so its just a wait and see sitution I guess let me know how u r doing
Jen

Old 05-29-2003, 10:18 PM   #14
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
thats interesting information you found about the infectious disease..i would have never guessed that could be an issue.......i have to return to my urologist on 6/3 because the medicine he gave me (Urised) doesnt seem to be helping..so here we go again i guess...i also made an appt with my GYN to make sure its nothing related to the female parts..its always something isnt it?..gee whiz!......hopefully once you get your new work schedule you'll be able to get in to your dr.its so frustrating not knowing whats wrong.....

Old 05-30-2003, 05:04 PM   #15
(female)

jencor2 HB User
my primary dr called in cipro for me today to tide me over til I can get into the urologist nice of him huh? let me know how things go for u I am having bad back pain and blood in my urine I dont really feel well at all but u know I havent in months so I should be used to it I look forward to your next post

Jennifer

Closed Thread