It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2003, 08:08 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Post kegel exercises

Has anyone had any luck doing these, or has it helped them at all? My sister has been told to do these as they're suppose to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles, but so far she hasn't noticed any difference in how she feels. She asked her doctor and yes, she's doing them correctly, but says she hasn't noticed if they're helping or not. She has a slight cystocele and her doctor said these exercises would help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-19-2003, 12:19 PM   #2
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hello..i have a cystocele, rectocele, and uterine prolapse..i'v always done kegal exercises,however it apparently hasnt helped me, just like your sister..i would suggest she reiterate this to her dr and see what else he recommends..cystoceles/rectoceles, etc do not fix themselves, so she's probably going to have to have it surgically repaired..i'm having surgery in a few weeks to fix my problems.....good luck to your sister.....stay well *diana*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2003, 04:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Thanks Diana. I was doing some research on this, and I think it tends to help 'prevent' the cystocele from happening in the first place as opposed to helping it once it's already there. Her doctor did say that, though it wouldn't make it go away, it may help to keep it from getting any worse as it's caused by weakened pelvic muscles and doing these exercises are suppose to strengthen those muscles. In any case, it probably wouldn't hurt her to try. I also found out that you need to do at least 100 of these a day to really see any benefit. My gosh, I can't help but think that the better part of the day would have to be spent thinking of nothing but. I also found out that several things can cause these to happen - obesity, chronic cough, and straining during a bowel movement. They all put extra pressure on the muscles and ligaments in the pelvis. Also menopause can cause it from the reduced hormones. Gee, it almost seems as if it should be more common than it is, shouldn't it?

Would like to hear from anyone else who has been through this or may have benefited from doing thse exercises.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by kellie2 (edited 06-19-2003).]

Old 06-19-2003, 07:24 PM   #4
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hello again..looks like you've done your research..haha i figured it may have been overkill,thats why i dindt mention much about the possible causes of your sisters problem...mine is due to childbirth and time/gravity...i didnt realize how bad my prolapse was until getting a diagnosis from my GYN a week ago..it kind of took me by surprise..i had been dealing with symptoms but never would have guessed it to be what it is...my dr suggested a hysterectomy due to the uterine prolapse and while he's in there he's going to go ahead and fix the cystocele and rectocele.......was your sister having any problems/symptoms or was this just a fluke that she found out what her problem is?....hope things work out for her.............*diana*

Old 06-19-2003, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
She was having some problems, found out some were from a UTI but not all. She has frequent urination, stress incontinence if she laughs or coughs at times, and sometimes a feeling of fullness. She's also overweight so I'm sure all of it contributes. Hers is very mild so far but I understand it can get worse and possibly need surgery. What symptoms were you having? You mention that you knew you had this before? Did you have symptoms at the beginning, or just recently?

Old 06-23-2003, 09:18 PM   #6
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hi kellie....my problems started back in february with a UTI..went back and forth to my primary dr.i took 4 rounds of antibiotics (still symptomatic but urine was coming back negative for bacteria).was finally sent to a urologist who ran several tests and decided it wasnt urinary related..i decided to go to my GYN and he had me diagnosed within just a couple of minutes....my symptoms are frequency/urgency with urination,pelvic/lower abdomen fullness-pressure-some pain,occasional low backache,slightly irregular menses,bowel irregularities (didnt think much about bowel habits until after diagnosis)...since i'm through with childbearing my dr feels its best to have a hysterectomy, that way i wont have to worry about the uterine prolapse happening again in the future...he's also doing the rectocele/cystocele repair at that time..from what my dr says its a fairly common problem among women and its usually easily treatable with surgery (if there is such a thing as easy surgery)..however i'm a bit nervous about the rectocele/cystocele repair as far as recovery goes..so thats my story.....post back and let me know how your siter is doing and what treatment option she decides on....stay well..*diana

Old 06-23-2003, 09:21 PM   #7
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
forgot to mention slight incontinence as one of my symptoms..(i guess i should have proof read before i posted..sorry)....theres no rhyme or reason with the incontinence..some days its worse than others..sometimes its stress incontinence, other times urge incontinence...i also get urethral spasms (feels as if theres urine in my urethra that needs to come out)..this usually causes a bit of leakage

Old 06-24-2003, 08:57 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
Hi Diana - No, no incontinence that I know of, but if she needs to go and coughs or laughs before she gets there, sometimes a bit will leak out. As long as she doesn't have a full bladder though, she's fine. Her doctor found hers during a checkup but like I said, he told her it was mild and it may or may not get worse. I don't think she has any of the problems you mention.

I did want to ask you though - the symptoms you say you have, do you have those all the time? I mean, do they come and go or do you feel like that every day? It must be highly uncomfortable for you and I feel bad for you, especially if you've been feeling like that every day for this long.

Now, why are you worried about your surgery? Is the recovery difficult? My mother-in-law had a hysterectomy and bladder suspension a couple of years ago and she seemed to recover just fine with no problems.

Old 06-24-2003, 11:18 PM   #9
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
hello again kellie ....its good that your sister was diagnosed early..that way she and her dr can keep a check on the problem and catch it should it start to get worse (hopefully that wont be for a long time!).........my symptoms are daily..looking back (hindsight is 20/20) my urinary habits (frequency/urgency) started about 1.5 yrs or so ago..my current symptoms came on me almost literally overnight..one day i was fine, next day the battle started..like i said, it started off at a UTI..then urine cultures were coming back clear however my symptoms were still there....its been very frustrating feeling like this day to day..the stress of not knowing what was wrong with me has left (which i think has helped some)..now i have the stress, if you will, of looking forward to being operated on..i keep telling myself that i'll feel better (praying and hoping) afterwards..i'm not too concerned about the hysterectomy,its the rectocele and cystocele that have me worried..i keep thinking about painful the healing process must be after something like that..i'm glad to hear that your mother came through her hysterectomy and other repairs with no problems ..and if i keep positive thoughts i'm sure i'll come through this just fine as well........keep posting and let me know how your sister is doing, etc...you never mentioned her age or if she's ever had children (both of which could/can contribute to the rectocele/cystocele problems...i'm almost 35 (on july 2) and gave birth almost 13 yrs ago.

Closed Thread