It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2003, 07:25 AM   #1

Wolverine1914 HB User
Post Lymphangiogram

I was recently diagnosed with Testicular Cancer and after surgery need to go for radiation therapy. Since I had a Stage 1 Seminoma that has no appearance of spreading I need the radiation in case of microbial spread. My doctor told me to get a lymphangiogram but from what I read on the internet and what I have heard from most doctor's it is not commonly done anymore. I don't want to have to go through a procedure I do not need to. From what I took away from the process there is a chance that 5-10% of people's lymphnodes are not in the places that the doctors normally believe them to be and this test shows them definitively where they have to irradiate. Of course if my lymphnodes are in the normal place, which they are in patients 90-95% of the time, then the lymphangiogram was done for no reason. Most people use CT scans nowadays instead of lymphangiograms but there is a slight chance of error with the CT scan and a slight chance, if my nodes are out of the normal range, that they could miss irradiating one or two. If they miss them, then there is even a more remote chance, but still a chance, that the ones they missed had microbial cancer in it and it could come back to haunt me. It is not likely but still a chance. I guess I am wondering if I am being overly cautious or, since it is cancer we are dealing with, if I should do the lymphangiogram just for piece of mind. If anyone has experience in this or has had one please let me know. I need to make a decision in the next 2 days. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread