It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
Inactive

groundhog HB User
Question IN SEARCH OF AN EXCELLENT DOCTOR...

My doctor seems to have no plan for early detection. After talking with him, he seems to feel that in the world of prostate issues, nobody knows anything for sure, nothing really works, etc. He says that antibiotics don't really do anything better than placebos, and that docs prescribe them basically because they don't know of anything else to do. He says that if the medical community did PSA testing on all of the patients that they could, that the medical system would be overwhelmed and that PSA tests don't tell you anything that useful anyway. He thinks that prostate pain is mostly an auto-imune thing.

From talking to him, it seems that you just wait and see if you get cancer, and then after you get it real good, the doc just gives you the news of whether you're a gonner or not.

I asked him if there is early detection with prostate cancer and he just started talking real fast and louder. In the end I just nodded and didn't know anything more than before I asked the question.

I believe alot of what he is telling me.... BUT even though this medical science may be prehistoric, I am here now and must deal with the world as it is. And I want a doctor that will TRY. Not someone who waits for every thing to have absolute concrete studies before trying anything. I want a doctor that trys things, uses his own head, and reaches to the future of medicine and trys to save and protect his patients NOW with whatever tools he has or can find. I am hiring a prostate expert for one thing - to be in charge of the prostate department that is next to my *** and minimise the chances that it will bite my ***.

Does anyone know of a doctor in the Baltimore area that fits - even remotely - the description of the type of doctor I am looking for? I will drive 2 hours in any direction, maybe more.

Sincerely,
Mr. Groundhog

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 06:58 PM   #2

Randy2 HB User
You need a new doctor. I'm not an expert but the combination of a yearly PSA test and DRE are a good one two punccch to catch prostate cancer early.

My doctor told me just 2 months ago that most of the prostate cancer he catches does not come from men coming in with symptoms but as a result of the DRE and/or PSA test.

Its not foolproof of course. You can have a low PSA and still have cancer. I beleive almost 20% of prostate cancer's don't show an above normal PSA.

I went in worried about prostate cancer because I was going to the bathroom once every 3 to 4 hours during the day and getting up once at night about half the time (sleeping through the other half).

I wanted a biopsy but he said no because everything else was normal. No pain, blood or anything but the frequent urination.

I bugged him enough that he will give me another PSA test in 6 months - cause I'm worried that though my PSA is low as .7, it could start risin and that is a danger sign. But only one that will be caught if you have a docttor who works with you.

BTW, Bob Arnot's book on Prostate cancer is great and has a good discussion on PSA and DRE. He points out that it looks like prostate cancer death rates are starting to drop and that this is because of the one/two PSA/DRE screening.

Sorry, I live on the left coast and can't refer you to soemone but check with a medical university in your area as they are always good referral sources.

Closed Thread