It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

seargentdimples HB User
Post UTI's and bedwetting?

Just a question, I have a 14 year old daughter, who since she was 2 years old, she has had recurring UTI's. She had her last one the end of April and was put on Antibiotics. She went back a month later, and it was gone. My quesions are these:

What can cause alot of UTI's, even before the child is potty trained?

How common is it for a 14 year old girl to still be bedwetting?

Should I push more tests to see what is going on with her urinary system?

Thanks, Shelley

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 12:53 PM   #2
Inactive

ds4832 HB User
UTIs are usually caused by ecoli bacteria (from the anal area) that is introduced to the urethra, thus causing an infection of the urinary tract...UTI's can also be caused by soaps, detergents, hot tubs, pools, and other bacteria...if your daughter takes baths, i would suggest she start taking showers instead..sittig in a bath tub can intruduce bacteria in to the urinary tract...its also not necessary to use soap in the genital area (this is a self cleaning area of the body)..however if she does i would reccommend using Dove unscented...if she swims its recommended to shower before getting in to the pool and immediately after getting out......also cut down on daily intake of soda and anything caffeinated and increase the daily intake of water...if none of these changes help i would definitly go back to the dr and ask to be sent to a urologist (if youre not currently under a urologists care)..the urologist is trained to diagnose and treat/help prevent recurrent UTI's......good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2003, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
are infections actually found in the urine, or is it just the symptoms of infection with none ever found?

if no infections ever found, it and the bedwetting may be controlled by a low dose of imipramine, it calms the bladder and needs to be taken daily.
the bladder dose is much lower than the antidepressant dose

Old 08-06-2003, 01:27 AM   #4

jenn0911 HB User
Cool

I think you should take your daughter to the dac and push for tests for her urinary tract. As I have a 4 year old with veovescular reflux (kidney reflux) her symptoms started at about the age of one with alot of UTI's. Finally I tired of the antibiotics and had her sent for test and now three years later I sm still waiting for them to fix the problem as she still is not fully potty trained and to answer your questio about is it normal for a two year old to get alot of UTI's no actually it is not I guess my doc says children under the age of four with alot of them have a problem. And as for your daughter now I realize she is 14 and shouldn't be wetting the bed this is my concern for your daughter going through this with my own I think there is an underlying problem that you should have your doc check for so she can lead the rest of her life normally without the worry of wetting the bed.GOOD LUCK

Closed Thread