It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 09:40 AM   #1

Spunkie4515 HB User
Question UTI: what will the doc ask?

I think I have a UTI. The thing is I just recently had sex for the first time close to a week ago. I have had it 4 times (with the same person) over a period of 3 days and i didnt have any symptoms till 2 days after the last time. I read that UTI could be cause in women by sexual intercourse. I am only 15 and my mom is going with me to the doctor but she doesnt know I have had sex. Can the doctor tell that I have had sex without me telling him? Will the doctor say anything about that? If he has to will there be any way my mom won't have to be in the room with me? Should I just make her wait outside?

[This message has been edited by Spunkie4515 (edited 08-06-2003).]

Old 08-06-2003, 02:04 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Spunkie4515:
I think I have a UTI. The thing is I just recently had sex for the first time close to a week ago. I have had it 4 times (with the same person) over a period of 3 days and i didnt have any symptoms till 2 days after the last time. I read that UTI could be cause in women by sexual intercourse. I am only 15 and my mom is going with me to the doctor but she doesnt know I have had sex. Can the doctor tell that I have had sex without me telling him? Will the doctor say anything about that? If he has to will there be any way my mom won't have to be in the room with me? Should I just make her wait outside?

[This message has been edited by Spunkie4515 (edited 08-06-2003).]
First of all, the doctor knows that taking histories like these are awkward and will probably ask you if you want your mom to wait outside, considering I know exactly what the doctor will ask you, I suggest you do ask your mom to wait outside (I know I would have at your age!! )
Quote:
Can the doctor tell that I have had sex without me telling him?
Well...no, not really, BUT UTIs are MUCH more common in sexually active girls than they are in non sexually active ones, so he'll probably have a good idea. But trust me, he wouldn't go and blab that to your mom...everything you tell him in privacy is part of patient confidentiality...even if your mom asks, he can't say anything.
Quote:
Will the doctor say anything about that? If he has to will there be any way my mom won't have to be in the room with me? Should I just make her wait outside?
Since you do have a UTI, he will definitely ask about whether you are sexually active or not...ask to go in alone or ask your mom to leave if she's already there.

He will ask you some or all of the following questions (or more):

are you sexually active?
when is the last time you had intercourse?
when did the symptoms start?
any burning when you pee?
is the frequency of when you pee increased?
any blood in the urine?
did you use protection when you had sex?
how many sexual partners have you had?
any fever, chills or sweats?
any flank pain?

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I know this stuff so well because I've had to interview a ton of patients with potential UTIs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 11:42 AM   #3

Spunkie4515 HB User
ok the doc didn't say aloud are u sexually active or anything but i think he might know. I have another question though. He said there was blood in my urine...could that be because my cherry was popped? I didn't volunteer that information cuz my mom was in there but should i let them know that?

Old 08-07-2003, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User
No. Blood in your urine is quite common with an infection. What you actually have is what is commonly called Honeymoon Cystitis as many brides get a UTI on their honeymoon from either first-time sex or too much of it. Please don't worry about it as it's very common and is easily cleared up with a bout of antibiotics.

What you may want to be careful of in the future though, to help with not getting it again, is to make sure you and your partner are both extra clean. UTI's are commonly caused by bacteria being pushed up into the urethra, which is very easily done during sex. You may be very prone to getting infections so someone like you needs to be extra careful. You need to be clean down there, but more importantly so does your partner. To put it bluntly, you have no idea what he's done since he showered, so you may want to have him shower before sex if at all possible, just to be on the safe side. If that isn't an option, you may get an infection again. Now, if he IS able to shower first but bulks at having to do so, simply tell him it's what the doctor suggested to prevent an infection from happening again. You can explain to him how you got this one and that you want to try to keep from getting another. After all, YOU'RE the one who's suffering from this, not him, so you have the right to ask for whatever will help.

Also - and I'm going to be blunt here - if you aren't lubricated enough when he enters you, that also can cause an infection to begin. Granted, I'm sure he's very anxious, but please be sure you are lubricated well before he does anything, ok? Not only will it help to prevent another UTI, it just feels so much better....trust me

[This message has been edited by kellie2 (edited 08-09-2003).]

Closed Thread