It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2003, 08:56 PM   #1

Hot Ice HB User
Post Frequent urination related to skin problems?

Hello.
My mother had a kidney transplant. Before she was diagnosed, her symptoms included skin irritation.

Here's my situation.

About two years ago, I started urinating almost every hour (sometimes worse, 30 minutes when I'm just sitting ::: that's not normal, right? ::: )- no burning sensation or blood though. My skin irritation also started around that time. (now i've got so many scars on my legs that it pains me to put vitamin E).

I didn't go to the doctor because I was "shy," and I didn't want to scare my mother. When I did go to the doctor, I didn't mention any of it. Now I have an appointment in a week. I can't control my bladder any more!

The only thing I know is that drinking water cleanse your system, right? But if it is cleansing my system, then why is my blood dirty that's making my skin itch? (considering that my blood is the main reason why I itch instead of some chemical products).

One more thing, when you don't urinate, is that when your blood gets dirty or something? But I urinate a lot.

My main question is, is this genetic? and can you offer me some explanation about the connection between frequent urination and skin problems.

Everything is not making any sense.

Thanks. I just want to learn more, and I'm really freaking out right now!

[This message has been edited by Hot Ice (edited 08-17-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Hot Ice (edited 09-02-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2003, 09:42 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot Ice:
[B]Hello. I'm 17. Male.

My mother had a kidney transplant. Before she was diagnosed, her symptoms included skin irritation.
Okay...do you know WHY she had a kidney transplant?

Quote:
Here's my situation.

About two years ago, I started urinating almost every hour (sometimes worse, 30 minutes when I'm just sitting ::: that's not normal, right? ::: )- no
Hahaha..no..you're right...that's not normal.
Quote:
I didn't go to the doctor because I was "shy," and I didn't want to scare my mother. When I did go to the doctor, I didn't mention any of it. Now I have an appointment in a week. I can't control my bladder any more!
What do you mean you can't control your bladder anymore? Question....how many glasses of water do you drink a day?
Quote:
The only thing I know is that drinking water cleanse your system, right? But if it is cleansing my system, then why is my blood dirty that's making my skin itch? (considering that my blood is the main reason why I itch instead of some chemical products).
No...this is not right. Your body is not like a "dirty bucket" where you can throw in water and "wash it out". A lot of people who are all in to that natural stuff try to mislead you by telling you that you need to "cleanse" your body...this is not the case. Your liver and your kidneys work SO efficiently to cleanse your blood of different impurities...this is done at the molecular level...it doesn't need lots of water for this to happen.
Quote:
One more thing, when you don't urinate, is that when your blood gets dirty or something? But I urinate a lot.
Well, if your liver isn't working, then a lot of toxins and what not can build in the blood, and you have to describe what you mean by "urinating". Urination actually refers to the process where urine is produced by your kidneys. Micturation is the actual proper term for going to the bathroom. If you are not micturating, your blood is still being cleaned by your kidneys, but it's all just collecting in your bladder. HOWEVER, if your kidneys aren't functioning properly, you can't make urine (i.e. you can't urinate) and all the different waste products start building in your blood.
Quote:
My main question is, is this genetic? and can you offer me some explanation about the connection between frequent urination and skin problems.
It could be something that you inherited. It's not that frequent urination and skin problems are part of a specific disease--it could be that you are having a skin problem, but your frequent urinating problem is due to something else.

I'm really curious to know, though, how many glasses of water a day do you drink?

Old 08-18-2003, 10:26 AM   #3

Hot Ice HB User
Quote:
Okay...do you know WHY she had a kidney transplant?
Umm, she keeps telling me not to eat salty food. I assume it has something to do with her kidney stones. It's a touchy subject that the family doesn't really want to discuss. (or at least I don't want to discuss)

Quote:
What do you mean you can't control your bladder anymore?
Like I said, I always pee every hour. Let me put it this way, after each of my classes end, I go to the washroom. That's about seven times during school time. And about five times during nights.

But if I don't want to go, I can last about three hours. But holding it is painful. (actually I sometimes forget that I need to go because I'm too busy watching a movie)

[qoute]I'm really curious to know, though, how many glasses of water a day do you drink[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, I don't really pay attention to how many glasses I drink. I would say a LOT though. Sorry that's vague, but I'm going to count it today. Let's just say that I'm in the kitchen a lot and I always carry a bottle of water when I go out.

One more thing, the reason why I think I drink a lot of water is because someone told me that drinking water makes your brain function more effectively than it would if you don't drink. Is that a myth?

So I guess, it's my subconcious that tells me to drink. Somehow that idea got stuck in my head.

Thanks for responding.

[This message has been edited by Hot Ice (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-18-2003, 11:10 AM   #4
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Hot Ice...I feel I know what your problem is. To be honest, I think that your skin problem is unrelated to your urinating problem.

First of all, no, drinking a ton of water doesn't make your "brain function better"...who tells you all this stuff?!! In fact, drinking too much water, like you are clearly doing, can actually make your brain function worse if you get hyponatremia.

It is a common misconception that one must drink 8 glasses of water a day. This is something that was misinterpreted from a study a number of years ago. Really, if you eat healthy, and drink with your meals and the odd time when you're thirsty (obviously it's different when it's hot outside) you are getting more than enough water!

Anyway, what happens to people when they drink a lot of water is that they "wash out" the part of their kidney that is supposed to be "salty" in order to help concentrate your urine. In other words, this area of your kidney called the "medulla" exists so you are able to reabsorb water as urine is produced in your kidneys' nephrons....this way, you don't lose too much water when you pee.

HOWEVER, if you drink too much water and you "wash out the medulla" (i.e. medullary washout), what happens is that your kidney can't do their job as effectively of reabsorbing water and you tend to pee more frequently and get thirsty more often because you are constantly losing too much water through your urine.

Now, if this is the case, you have to consciously cut back on your water intake a little at a time. You can't do it all right away because it will take time for your medulla to gain back its functional gradient.

Finally, if it turns out that you do NOT drink a ton of water a day, you might want to get yourself tested for diabetes insipidus.

So, have you figured out how many bottles of water you drink a day?

Old 08-18-2003, 11:15 AM   #5
Inactive

projapoti HB User
...another thing that is making me think that you have medullary washout is the fact that you wake up more than once during the night to pee. First of all, that is not normal....second of all, it gives more evidence that you probably have medullary washout. Why? Well, because, at night, your kidneys work extra hard to concentrate the urine you have in your kidneys (i.e. your kidneys are hard at work reabsorbing water back in to the bloodstream); however, in your case, your kidneys aren't able to do this, and you are finding yourself constantly waking up to pee in the nights.

Here's another fact for you...aside from the medullary washout, drinking a ton of water without any source of salt, will actually help dehydrate you further!! Your body needs salt to reabsorb water at the kidneys, and when you don't have it, you lose more water than you took in, thus dehydrating yourself.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:10 PM   #6
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by projapoti:
Your body is not like a "dirty bucket" where you can throw in water and "wash it out". A lot of people who are all in to that natural stuff try to mislead you by telling you that you need to "cleanse" your body...this is not the case. Your liver and your kidneys work SO efficiently to cleanse your blood of different impurities...this is done at the molecular level...?
The above quote is very erroneous and misleading. Plus there is no evidence or anything really to back up what this poster is claiming, he just sounds like he doesn't believe in what natural or alternative medicine has been successfully doing for centuries. That's his loss, don't make it yours too.

Regardless, there are many reasons why you may have itchy skin, and they may be unrelated to your urinary situation or they may be part of a larger kidney/liver/organ-related problem. There is really not enough info to really pinpoint what might be going on, but you did the best thing for now, making a doctor appointment.

Make sure you ask him/her about possibilities such as urinary tract infection. Also see if you can get a blood test so that they check your liver and kidney function. And stop drinking all sodas, caffeine, milk and citrus juice for at least a week and see if that helps. These are all bladder irritants. You may also have a food allergy of some sort too which may be affecting your skin.

[This message has been edited by RageOfAngels (edited 08-18-2003).]

[This message has been edited by RageOfAngels (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-18-2003, 11:07 PM   #7
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Ahhh, RageofAngels, I thought you might be in disagreeance with my post. Please, tell me, what do you disagree with? Do you think the body is something that can be "cleansed"?

Old 08-19-2003, 08:30 AM   #8

Hot Ice HB User
Smile

Yeah, I think I drink about 8-10 glasses of water a day. But I don't drink coffee and I always try to avoid sodas.

Quote:
Your body needs salt to reabsorb water at the kidneys, and when you don't have it, you lose more water than you took in, thus dehydrating yourself.
Do you suggest that I eat salty food before drinking? Is that also the reason why camels eat salt and not get dehydrated?

Old 08-19-2003, 06:26 PM   #9
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
According to many websites dealing with UTI's/infections, spicy, salty, and acidy foods can irritate the urinary tract. Also, by adding extra sodium/salt to your body, you risk other health complications as well. I do not recommend the extra salt.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:39 PM   #10
Inactive

projapoti HB User
I'm not telling you to eat salty food, but instead, have SOME sort of salt present in your diet when you are in a situation when you are becoming dehydrated. Usually, any type of healthy food containing salt will suffice. Say you are playing a sport in the sun and you are sweating buckets, but you keep drinking water to say hydrated. The reason this doesn't work is because you are not just losing water when you sweat, but salt (sodium chloride) as well. Sodium is a very important ion in your blood, and if you don't have it present as you are dehydrating, you will become even MORE dehydrated!!

So, am I saying you should eat food loaded with salt when you are exercising? Hardly! I am saying that, if you are exercising, you should eat something (say a sandwich) before. Drinking water is fine, but if you are out in the sun for extended periods of time, throw in a drink of gatorade (or some other drink that contains salt) to balance things out.

Disclaimer: I am NOT trying to advertise gatorade; I am just stressing the importance of having some sort of source of salt in the diet when sweating a lot.

In your case, Hot Ice, I would slowly cut back on the water intake because it is clearly making you urinate so frequently. If the problem persists, I would try to get tested for some type of diabetes insipidus.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:20 AM   #11
Inactive

projapoti HB User
To Rage of Angels:

I agree with you that adding a lot of salt to the diet is not a good idea, because yes, it can result in things like hypertension. But in the case of dehydration, it's not that you're adding salt to the diet, but you're attempting to replenish the salt that you lost through sweating.

When someone is volume resuscitated in the hospital, why do you think they give them 0.9% saline solution and not just pure water? (well, there are a couple of reasons, but one of them is because you need isotonic volume to bring your blood volume back up).

....and about complementary/alternative medicine (CAM). I am by NO means against it. As someone who will be a medical professional one day, I think it's good that CAM is around because it does just that--complement conventional medicine. However, with the health craze around nowadays, it's very easy for the layperson to be mislead by claims of someone who says that they are giving "natural" therapies to heal sickness. Half the time these people aren't even naturopaths!!! Because I am pretty well versed in fluid balance physiology, and considering I want to go in to nephrology eventually, it pains me when I hear people talking about "cleansing toxins" and "flushing out the system". If these people knew the smallest thing about how fluids are absorbed and used by the body, they'd realize that the above terms don't make sense.

Another thing, your body can't tell the difference between water in fruit, water in soup or that cold glass of water that you drink on a hot day. In terms of water, it's all the same.

Old 08-20-2003, 02:55 PM   #12
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
projapoti: I am not surprised to hear that you are studying to be a medical professional, nor would I discourage you from following that path of study. I am also not here to have any arguments, as I can sadly have plenty of those outside of this forum.

However, when there are disparaging statements made about certain aspects of holistic/alternative/natural health measures, I will jump in and attempt to mediate toward a more balanced view.

Yes, I agree with you that there are alot of crazy claims and even alot of philosophies that I find, well...insane!... out there in the "alternative" medicine field. However, there are also some glaring errors and deficiencies in the training that medical professionals receive and that they eventually come to believe as true when in fact it is not. I do not have time to go into alot of detail but the basic upshot is that Western medical doctors are trained to diagnose disease and treat it, usually with drugs or surgery. "Holistic" health is largely geared toward preventing sickness and getting your whole overall body healthier, in various ways. I can't imagine anything bad about that, in itself, as long as it works.

I believe that both types of medicine are important. I have had surgery numerous times, and have had to take prescription drugs for medical reasons (although I try to avoid them if at all possible). But I also have received tremendous, life-changing help from the "alternative" medicine field, including chiropractic, cranial-sacral therapy, Chinese medicine, and yes, the whole "cleansing" areas of teaching. I've also never received any harm from the holistic practices I've used (I do use my brain and study alot, so I pick and choose carefully), but I have unfortunately received tremendous harm and poor or even erroneous diagnoses from medical doctors. And I know others who have as well. I have in fact been left crippled by the first urologist I had because he did not do his job properly. The problems I have experienced as a result are such that I wouldn't even wish on my worst enemy, that is how bad they have been.

I do not say this to indict all doctors or say there are none to be trusted, but just to point out that they are unfortunately not always right.

So largely as a result of seeing the dangers of blindly trusting the word of a doctor (as I did while a teenager), and having many health challenges, at some point I began a journey of studying and looking for ways to be healed that Western conventional medicine (or doctors) may not be equiped or willing to deal with effectively. And so I have seen the results in my very own life, numerous times and in numerous ways.

I've also sometimes been right about a diagnosis in recent years when the medical doctor has been dead wrong but insisting he was right. Most recently, it was both a neurologist AND the head of the ER at the hospital I go to (a very famous hospital in NYC). That scares me to tell you the truth! But the MRI was the ultimate arbitor in this case, a test I insisted on having done over their objections.

Well, that's all pretty personal and it may mean very little to you in the end, but maybe not. But that's the nutshell version of the story. I would encourage you to try to have some sort of a more open mind to where some natural healing ideas are coming from and why, but I will not try to force you to. But if you really do want to be the best doctor possible, I say at least consider other avenues of help for a patient rather than drugs and surgery. They should sometimes be the last resort, not the first.

I do agree with you though about what you said about the saline solution and the water in the fruits and vegetables, etc.

Cheers,
Al

[This message has been edited by RageOfAngels (edited 08-20-2003).]

Old 08-20-2003, 03:56 PM   #13
Inactive

projapoti HB User
See Rage of Angels! We're on the same page. I guess bothof us are against the propagation of "incorrect information" and not necessarily the fields themselves. Now, that's not to say that there aren't things that I disagree with in the CAM field, 'cause there definitely are, but disagreement is different than closed-mindedness.

One thing that I think is really good that conventional medicine is taking from CAM is the idea of "preventative health". I'm all for telling a patient to change his/her lifestyle...stop smoking, eat more healthy etc. etc. etc. rather than just giving a pill. And to be honest, I would rather ONLY do that to a lot of patients and not even give them the pill afterwards!

Preventative health is the way go to....I am VERY against patients who come to the doctor only looking for a "pill to cure their ailment" while they've just had 5 cigarettes, are still drinking a lot and aren't exercising.

Closed Thread