It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003, 07:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Post foley catheter

I am looking for advice for my husband. He has to have a foley catheter and a leg bag for the next few months as his prostate is very large and obstructing urinary output. He cannot have surgery as he has just had surgery for rectal cancer and will have to have chemotherapy and radiotherapy over the next few months.
He finds the catheter and bag difficult to manage, especially finding the right clothes to wear to accommodate it.
Is there anyone out there who can give some words of encouragement please and any hints as to how to manage the catheter and leg bag as well as possible?

Old 08-20-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Hi,

I am really sorry to hear that your husband has to go through this. I have had to wear a bag once after surgery and also found it incredibly difficult to deal with. However, the advantage he may have over me is that once he heals he can go back to urinating the "regular" way. I have to use a catheter (intermittant) every day due to spinal damage, since I was a teenager, otherwise I cannot urinate.

I cannot give you specific advice on how to manage the catheter better. However, as far as the enlarged prostate, I do recommend that he consider exploring a new diet and regimen of supplements which can help to bring down the enlargement of his prostate and which can possibly help heal his cancer as well. I have experienced alot of help from the section on prostate enlargement in a book called "Prescription For Nutrional Healing." It will be up to your husband if he feels it is worth it or not or if he is willing to do what it takes to help his body to heal. It will not be overnight, so it will take some patience and effort. Anyway, it is a thought for you - one that has helped me in many ways over the years.

Cheers,
Al

[This message has been edited by RageOfAngels (edited 08-20-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 03:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you so much for your reply...I will certainly send for the book you recommended.It sounds as if you have to self-catheterize and that must be quite something. Do you get used to it after a while?

Take care,
Alison

Old 08-20-2003, 07:45 PM   #4
(male)

Ron Z HB User
I am 49 - recently had prostate surgery. Had a catheter for 3 weeks. It took me a week to try the leg bag - glad that I did as it gave me much more freedom. Even with the big bag, I took a belt from a robe and carried it with the belt across my shoulder.

I had a velcro elastic leg band that was great - I wore it high on my left leg - the right just did not seem right for some reason.

At night use the big bag - I put it in a bucket - sometimes the clip would come open - what a mess.

Where the tube goes into the penis - coat this 2 - 3 times a day with neosporin - the tube moves a bit and when this gets dry it hurts.

Also - when wearing the leg bag - keep your leg down. If you plan to sit in a lazy boy with your legs up, use the big bag because you will not drain.

Underwear - I cannot stand boxers - I wore OLD briefs and put the tube through the leg opening - tight fitting garments and pants are not comfortable -

good luck! Mr. Foley was not painful - it was just there -

Old 08-20-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks, Ron Z...some really useful points which I will keep in mind.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:52 PM   #6
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
With the intermittent self-cath, I was used to it and had very few problems for about 20 years. Then, in 2000, I had a serious urethral rupture out of nowhere and almost died in a Virginia hospital, where I was vacationing at the time. After that was the leg-bag since I could not do the self-cath. After that was over a year of not being able to use the catheter due to trauma and lack of healing of whatever had happened inside. I managed to squeeze urine out another way, although not a healthy or ideal way. Only recently have I begun to be able to do the catheter again, and it has been like learning all over again and getting used to it. I am now also trying to be more sterile about it, so have had to add more steps and this has made it more onerous and challenging. But hopefully I will eventually get it down to a basic procedure that I can live with without too many problems.

Old 08-22-2003, 06:07 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Until a month ago, our life was "normal" Now it has become so tumbled up and scary! However, joining these boards has given me so much help. It has also made me realize how so many people have had medical difficulties for years and have learnt, with great courage, how to cope with these difficulties. Many people are so young, it is unbelievable!

I still have more questions regarding the catheter. A friend has suggested that my husband should use one with a valve which would give the bladder the chance to " exercise" and keep in tone. That while the catheter is draining all the time, the bladder will become lazy and he may end up incontinent. I have not told him this as he has enough to deal with right now. However, I did ask the doctor who felt he should remain as he is. Any one out there who used a catheter long term and still could control urination when catheter was removed, please? My husbands will be in until he is able to have a prostate reduction operation when his chemo and radiation are completed...possibly 4 months.

Closed Thread