It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

thess HB User
Question Bleach Smell

Has anyone ever had the smell of bleach in their urine?? I drink more then enough water, drink 2/3 cups of coffee a day and have some problems with the frequent urge to void..
Any ideas??

Old 07-29-2003, 08:17 AM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
well, I don't have an idea about the bleach smell, but I can tell you that you're definitely drinking too much water.

Everyone thinks, in this country, that somehow you must drink 8 glasses of water a day. Also, people think that even drinking more than this is actually better for your body. This is not the case.

First of all, 8 glasses of water a day comes from a misinterpreted idea that arose in, I believe it was an article in the 60s. As long as you eat healthy and you drink SOMETHING with what you are eating, you are getting more than enough water. Coffee, tea, beer (in moderate amounts) soup all count towards your daily water intake as well. Remember, your body doesn't know the difference between water found in soup, or water found from a bottle of Evian.

However, people continue to drink more water than they need, and what this actually does is make you pee more, NOT because you're drinking more water, but because you're actually washing out the solutes in the medulla of your kidney, which makes your kidneys unable to concentrate your urine properly, which makes you lose more water. In this case, you are actually making it easier for yourself to dehydrate if it gets really hot because your kidneys aren't able to properly conserve water.

Wanna know something else weird? Drinking a ton of free water (without adding some salt, or eating something) on a hot day will actually dehydrate you further!!

I don't know how old you are, but I'm going to assume that you don't have a pathological problem with your bladder, and am going to say (fairly confidently) that your frequent urge to urinate is because you drink too much water and your kidneys' function is inhibited. Don't worry, if you slowly wean yourself off of drinking so much, your kidneys' medullae will go back to normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2003, 08:18 AM   #3
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Oh...and for anyone that is interested, there was an article written about this by a nephrologist. I can provide the article for anyone who asks.

Old 09-17-2003, 09:04 PM   #4

sammie65 HB User
Oh my goodness!

I have that bleach smell too!

...and just like the answer you recieved here...I have had the same response from every doctor I have asked

Post if you find out please...would really like to know...

Old 09-18-2003, 09:20 AM   #5
Inactive

wifelookingforanswers HB User
What kind of water are you drinking? Cities/towns usually add all kinds of chemicals to their water supplies...could it be possible that the water where you live has higher-than-normal amounts of chlorine? If you don't know, maybe you could try drinking bottled water only...one that lists additives. Just a suggestion, I really have no idea if that will work. But good luck! (Look at it this way too...at least you probably smell REALLY clean!)

Old 09-18-2003, 09:22 AM   #6
Inactive

wifelookingforanswers HB User
By the way, cities/towns have to have their water supply analyzed for chemical levels...that info can be obtained from your local water board, or try calling Public Health.

Old 09-27-2003, 08:10 AM   #7

Ben There HB User
Question

In this field you might regard me as "Mr. Know-it-Nothing"... but here goes...

Don't you think that residual semen (which has the bleach odor) might not be a possible cause. Urine and semen do, after all, share some pathways.

As regards the posting about water intake ~ I would LOVE to read definitive research on the over-hydration concept. Living in a hot and dry environment, we (in this area) tend to believe in constant water intake. If, in fact, there are negative consequences, then those ought to be made known.

[This message has been edited by Ben There (edited 09-27-2003).]

Old 09-27-2003, 06:34 PM   #8
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Hmmm...the semen/urine theory sounds sound! Though I guess it wouldn't work if the person is female!
Quote:
As regards the posting about water intake ~ I would LOVE to read definitive research on the over-hydration concept. Living in a hot and dry environment, we (in this area) tend to believe in constant water intake. If, in fact, there are negative consequences, then those ought to be made known.
Well, in your case it's different. You have to drink more water, 'cause you're obviously losing more if you're in a hot climate. But BUT BUT BUT, you have to remember one thing. When you sweat a lot, you're not just losing water, but a lot of salt as well. Make sure that you don't just drink a lot of water, but also throw in a gatorade there, or perhaps eat something that has salt in it. It's very important you do that...the ironic thing is, if you're sweating a lot and constantly drinking just water, you can actually make your dehydration worse!!!!

Closed Thread