It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 06:00 AM   #1
(female)

EffieH HB User
Post Looking for women who have had TVT procedure

Hi! I'm scheduled to have a TVT procedure this fall for stress urinary incontinence problems. I'm finding it difficult to find any information on the Internet other than the Gynecare TVT website where they make wonderful claims for their product -- I'd like to hear from women who have had the procedure and see what the real results are like and if you are happy you had it done? My doctor told me to expect a three week recovery time -- from what little I've read I think he's overestimating quite a bit -- I've read that some women recover in just a few days. Anyway-- thanks for any information anyone can provide!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 07:11 AM   #2

Rona HB User
Exclamation

I too am looking for women who have had TVT procedure. I had a sling fitted on 14th March and have been in pain ever since. I am now getting the run around from my Consultant and her Registrar told me he would give me the 'Benefit of the Doubt' and that this had NEVER happened to anyone before. I am at my wits end about what to do next I have had five months off work and all they have come up with so far is physiotherapy which isnt working. Having said all that I think that I am a rare case and most women seem to be given a new lease on life by this procedure. However, no surgery is compleatly risk free. Good luck and if there are any other women out there who have had experiences please let me know.

Cheers Rona UK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2003, 04:51 AM   #3
(female)

EffieH HB User
Thanks for replying, Rona. I'm really sorry to hear you had a such bad experience with the procedure. Unfortunately, from what little I can find on the Internet, I'm finding the bad experiences seem to be outweighing the good experiences. The women who have had positive results are extremely happy, but the women who have had less than positive results seem to suffer disproportionately for having undergone what is supposed to be a relatively simple and safe procedure. I realize the procedure is relatively new, and I suppose if most women are having happy results, then they have no reason to be checking out these forums so there wouldn't be much, if any, input from them. My doctor fitted me for a pessary last week, it works very well and if I can get comfortable with it I may just cancel the surgery and rely on the pessary until I can find more information and feel more comfortable about having the procedure done. Thanks so much for responding -- I really appreciate it! Let me know if your doctor is able to resolve your problem and provide you some relief from your pain. I wish you the best!!

Old 08-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #4

annie13 HB User
Thumbs down

Girls,
Let me tell you, I have had nothing but trouble with mine. It has been a year and I still cannot have sex. I also am still having difficulty voiding. And going to the 4th doctor since this was done. Next step, surgery to either remove or reconstruct my lower pelvic muscle floor. Been a nightmare! Read my post on it. You will have to dig. Go to the archive's. You will find it there! Must read for anyone having a sling procudure. Expecially with a hysterectomy!!!!
Take care all,
Annie

Old 08-13-2003, 07:42 PM   #5

annie13 HB User
Wink

Never mind, found it fer ya!
It should be on this forum page. Called "Bladder Sling".

[This message has been edited by annie13 (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #6

CJW HB User
Hi Ladies...I read about the "TVT" surgery in January of 2002. I was at my wit's end trying to get help with my incontinence. I had the "old fashioned bladder tack fix in 1997 at the same time I had my total abdominal hysterectomy. It lasted approximately 9 months and then was worse than ever. I researched the "TVT" extensively, reading each and every article I could find. I then had to find someone who even had heard of the procedure in Mississippi...lol! Alas, couldn't find even one physician anywhere in this state that was familiar with it! I then turned my attention to the medical community in Memphis, Tennessee. I found several gyn's who had performed "several" procedures. Hmmmmmmm, not that stupid I said...lol. I then thought about a urologist...I found one in a urology group in Memphis who had much more experience in the procedure. However, he preferred to use the "SPARC" sling instead of the J&J Gynecare sling. He liked the smaller needles used in the "SPARC" sling. In March 2002, I checked into the hospital "outpatient" at 6:00 am...had the procedure performed and was discharged at 3:00 pm same day. I spent the next day in bed resting and on the second day was back to my normal routine with only strict orders for 6 weeks to lift nothing heavier than 5 pounds and to refrain from sexual intercourse. I followed my instructions and today, seventeen months later... I have had absolutely no problems since the day of the procedure. I haven't leaked even ONE DROP even in the most critical of situations...laughing, sneezing, coughing, etc. I have nothing but praise for my urologist and the procedure. I'm sorry to hear that others have not been so lucky.

[This message has been edited by CJW (edited 08-17-2003).]

Old 08-17-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
Inactive

classikjewels HB User
Hi Ladies, I had my TVT done 12 days ago, and i'm still in alot of pain,going up and down stairs doesnt help much either....have any of you had more pain on one side then the other, my incision started to reopen just the littlest bit this weekend so of course i called the dr. i have to go see him tomorrow. and was wondering if anyone else out there has had any or simlar problems,going to the restroom is a nightmare, sometimes i know my bladders full because it will be slightly painfull, other times i have no idea and and where it used to come out freely at one time it now seems to stream and gush.. and this is just in 12 days, what do i have to look forward too? any advice will be helpfull, and my dr also said no sex for 4 wks, no work for 6 wks......
thanks in advance
classikjewels

Old 08-18-2003, 05:24 AM   #8
(female)

EffieH HB User
I've been trying to use the pessary -- it was working really great, but last week I developed the WORST vaginal infection of my whole life and I can't help but blame the pessary. My urogyn refused to see me ("we don't do yeast infections") so I'm seeing my regular gynecologist trying to get rid of this, so far I've done one three-day cream, one 1-day cream, had two courses of Dyflucan and nothing has helped -- I'm supposed to have my first follow up at the urogyn to see how my pessary is doing this Friday and at this point I'm probably going to have to cancel until I get rid of this infection.

So now I'm seriously considering the surgery -- the pessary works, but it seems to have too many complications which make it impossible to use it consistently. My doctor has gone to two of the the top universities -- also his partner has been listed as one of the "top docs" in my state and I found her on a list of doctors you can really trust, so I'm feeling pretty good about it right now.

Thanks for the feedback -- I have really appreciated it!!

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
Inactive

classikjewels HB User
Unhappy

Have any of you ladies had any trouble with bladder infections or yeast infections since you had the TVT done.......i should mention that i also had a cystocele taken care of at the same time.......less then 3 weeks ago.. still in pain and really wondering when it will either lighten up a bit or go away? any advice.........
classik

Old 10-01-2003, 12:50 PM   #10

Tedsgirl HB User
Hello, just had my TVT along with LAVH 2 weeks ago. I have had alot of pain, numbness, no urge for urination and then pain when it is almost too late. When I do urinate it is a small stream and my doctor says I need to lean forward to help empty my bladder. He says this is not unusual, that the bladder has been very lazy and needs to be retrained. It is also being held in suspension so this adds to the problem. My doctor is wonderful, but you do have to ask the right questions. I didn't know that you can't have sex after this procedure for that long. I did however know that was a fact with my LAVH, so it really doesn't matter. I hope that I do end up like the positive claims that I have heard on TVT, but it is a mystery to me as of yet. Waiting for a sign. :smile:

------------------
Tedsgirl LAVH/TVT

Old 10-01-2003, 01:09 PM   #11
(female)

Stacey3568 HB User
Question, did you have the TVT or the SPARC??

Stacey

Old 10-04-2003, 09:17 AM   #12

impb HB User
I had the TVT done 11 days ago. I just got the catheter removed 3 days ago. My doctor made sure I was urinating fine before he removed. I was, and was having no residual. Now I'm having nothing but problems. I have been up all night because I feel like I'm going to pee my pants. When I get the the bathroom there is a small gush, then a slow stream that I have to really fight for, and towards the end pain. As far as the TVT, sneezing and coughing haven't bothered me. It's this urinating problem. I thought I may have a bladder infection, but from reading it looks like I may just have to retrain my bladder. Has anyone else experienced this problem???

Old 08-10-2004, 05:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

twokatss HB User
Re: Looking for women who have had TVT procedure

I was just wondering how all you girls are doing now since it has been a while since your TVT surgery. Please post in UROLOGY. T.Y.

Old 08-11-2004, 04:56 AM   #14

LAURAAYERS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffieH
Hi! I'm scheduled to have a TVT procedure this fall for stress urinary incontinence problems. I'm finding it difficult to find any information on the Internet other than the Gynecare TVT website where they make wonderful claims for their product -- I'd like to hear from women who have had the procedure and see what the real results are like and if you are happy you had it done? My doctor told me to expect a three week recovery time -- from what little I've read I think he's overestimating quite a bit -- I've read that some women recover in just a few days. Anyway-- thanks for any information anyone can provide!

Old 08-11-2004, 05:01 AM   #15

LAURAAYERS HB User

EffieH - Good morning ! I had TVT surgery five weeks ago today. Although the first three weeks were a little "bumpy", I made the turn this past weekend and am definitely feeling back to my normal self. I had surgery on a Wednesday and actually was under the mistaken impression that I would be back at the office on Monday. I was back, but was definitely not 100%. Actually, the first two weeks after surgery, I worked five or six hours a day (rather than the 12 or 13 I usually work !) After surgery, your voiding will be a lot different. I have had no pain though and even though it is different, I am 100% dry for the first time in 15 years !!!!! The only negative aspect was cramping/pressure in the afternoons. I definitely knew I had overdone it when the cramping started, however, resting for an hour or so completely relieved the symptoms.

Good luck with your surgery and let me know if you have any other questions.

Closed Thread