It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 06:57 PM   #1

footballfan HB User
Post Varicocele Question

I am a 22 year old male and just found out that I have a left-side varicocele.

I still have to go in for an ultrasound next week to find out how bad it is and if it needs to be repaired, so I'm still kinda in the early stages of this whole thing.

But my question is, is this condition known to cause lower testosterone levels since the circulation to one of my testicles is being disrupted, or has anyone who's had this condition experienced anything like this?

I'm curious about this because I have a significantly lower muscle mass and body hair displacement than many of my close friends my age, and I've had a HUGE decrease in labido than what I had in my mid to late teens, and I'm wondering if all of these thing may be related. I've also been unable to gain muscle mass like I used to be able to in my teens.

My doctor said that he's going to wait to draw blood and check testosterone amongst other things until I've had the ultrasound done, so it's still going to be a few weeks until I can find out.

I guess I'm kinda hoping that this is the case and that it can be fixed since it seems odd to me for someone my age to be as skinny as I am and have such a huge decrease in labido in just a few years.

I was hoping that someone who has either had a varicocele or low testosterone levels for other reasons could give me a bit of guidance with this.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-16-2003, 03:11 PM   #2

mwn80 HB User
Your situation sounds similar to mine. I'm 26 and had a large (visible) varicocele on my left side since I was in high school and finally had it checked out. The ultrasound showed a little bit of a varicocele on the right size as well, but both testicles were in the normal size range. I decided to have mine treated just because of the discomfort factor mainly.

There are two types of doctors that can treat it and are competing for your money, urologists and interventional radiologists. A urologist will recommend surgery and an interventional radiologist will recommend a minimally invasive method called "embolization" where they insert a tiny catheter in your leg and route it to the varicose vein and then block it internally with a spring or other device. Both methods have the same effect and equal success rates, but the non-surgical approach only takes a couple days to heal as opposed to weeks of recovery with surgery. My best advice for varicoceles is to check out [url="http://www.varicoceles.com"]www.varicoceles.com[/url] I was very happy with the embolization treatment. Warning: both types of doctors will try to tell you their way is the better way so you have to compare and decide.

As far as testosterone goes, make sure your doctor tests both "total testosterone" and "free testosterone." A person can have completely normal total testosterone and still be defficient if free testosterone is below normal. Read the section "Measuring Hormone Levels" on this site: [url="http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZO7PDV DLC&sub_cat=57"]http://www.medem.com/medlb/article_detaillb.cfm?article_ID=ZZZO7PDV DLC&sub_cat=57[/url]

take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2004, 09:59 AM   #3

dwaynex HB User
Re: Varicocele Question

For mwn80:
Was your embolization painful? Were there any side effects? Do you have any pain?

Last edited by dwaynex; 05-02-2004 at 10:02 AM.

Closed Thread