It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Post 24-hour urine test

I am going to have a 24-hour urine (creatinine clearance & protein) test in a couple of months. I have also had a quite complicated history of urological problems, so I'm familiar with many medical tests. Has anyone had to do one of these before? I know the basics, but I wanted to hear how you all did it. Thanks! (by the way, I'm glad I'm getting this done during the summer...can't do it when I'm at school exactly)

Old 05-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
ive done lots of them, they will give you full instructions, best to do it when at home for the day.

test strips are usually available that show many urine problems by changing color

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
ive done lots of them, they will give you full instructions, best to do it when at home for the day.

test strips are usually available that show many urine problems by changing color

Old 05-16-2003, 03:31 PM   #4

foz1130 HB User
I have done this test 3 times. Make sure you drink enough to fill the bottle they give you, or your doctor is going to yell at you that you are not drinking enough. I believe they want you to put out at least 4 quarts. I think, just fill the jug! I turned it in the following morning 3/4 full and the nurse said, uh oh you are gone to get in trouble. low and behold 3 weeks later at my follow-up visit w/dr. I got yelled out.
Not a bad test at all and results explain alot.
Good luck!

Old 07-29-2003, 02:59 PM   #5
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Red face

To foz1130: Oh great...I just re-read your post, and I hope I don't get yelled at my my doctor. It's already 6:00 in the evening, and there's not even a pint of urine in the jug! Will I have to redo it if there's not enough urine? Well, the instructions I got said that the first time you go in the morning, it doesn't get collected - just the ones after that. Maybe that's why it looks so little.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Don't worry about filling the jug. The calculations they will make will be based on the concentration of creatinine in your urine, your plasma and your urine volume. Unless you only put out like 2 drops of urine, the small volume won't be a problem. All they want to calculate is to see the rate at which your kidneys are filtering your blood (i.e. GFR)

Old 08-01-2003, 05:19 PM   #7

foz1130 HB User
Sehsun, sorry to upset you. What I meant was my doctor yelled at me, because she does not think I drink enough water on a daily basis. Not just the amount to necessary read the test. As the previous poster mentioned your test will be measured accurately with the output you provide. My situation is everything I eat is high in calcium, oxalates or protein or anything else that attributes to my stone making. My doctor wants me to drink drink drink after before and during my meals!!
Sorry to mislead you. How did you make out?

Old 08-01-2003, 05:32 PM   #8
(female)

Sehsun HB User
foz1130 - Whoops! Sorry, did I sound upset? Because I wasn't at all! Forgot to use my emoticons...really does change your perspective when you use them. Anyhow, the test went by fine, I think. I always remembered to urinate in the container. I had to get bloodwork done (nothing new), and then I turned it in the following morning. I have an appointment with my urologist in about 2 weeks, so I will find out the results then.

I didn't know you had kidney stones! I hope things are going well with your health. Did you ever have to have surgery for it?

Old 08-02-2003, 01:09 PM   #9

foz1130 HB User
Yes, I have had kidney stones at least 8 times. 3 x I had surgery to remove them.(cut once)2 x scoped. I have the story on a previous post, I will look for it and let you know. All of the other times I had lithotripsy. I was for a while having a stone or 2 every other year. Now the past 5 years I have had only 2 cases of stones. I have a small one now that my doctor is monitoring thru ultrasound every 6 mths. I have a renal angiomyolipoma (benign tumor)in my right kidney that the doctors follow closely so she checks for stones as well.
I'll get back to you with the post i mentioned.
I hope your results come back ok.
Take care.

Old 08-02-2003, 01:27 PM   #10

foz1130 HB User
Sehsun, I found the post I was referring too. Kidney disorders forum, dated 5/16/03, question regarding LITHOTRIPESY--- by bryn-d.

Old 08-02-2003, 02:48 PM   #11
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Wow, you have been through a lot. On one of my upper stomach ultrasounds, a doctor found an angiomyolipoma in my kidney, too!! It was only 6.5 mm big, though. Then on the CT scan I had this April, it didn't show up, so I don't know what happened to it. How big is yours? Do you think you'll ever have to have it taken out? Also, are your kidneys functioning okay? Oh btw, I read your post on the lithotripsy. I found it interesting to read (because I'm into all that medical stuff - I'm going to be a doctor someday).

[This message has been edited by Sehsun (edited 08-02-2003).]

Old 08-07-2003, 07:06 PM   #12

foz1130 HB User
It is in my right kidney, and the size of a grape, I am told. I hope I don't have to have it taken out, because my urologist years ago told me he would have to take the whole kidney because of where it is located. That scenerio has probably changed by now. I'm 44 and they found it when I was 25. Sometime my right side does have a dull ache that i really could do without. I have a new woman urologist now because of moving and i'm not sure she has the same interest in my ailments as the other one did. Her therory is as long as it does not grow leave it be. I should be a urologist too!! keep in touch........

Old 08-12-2003, 12:52 PM   #13
(female)

Sehsun HB User
foz1130 - Wow, your AML is a lot bigger than mine. And mine does occasionally cause flank pain. But your urologist is right - as long as it doesn't bother you, it should be okay to not do anything to it.

I went to see my urologist today, and the results of the test were great! He said that my kidney function is great, and that there is minimal protein in my urine also. The only thing I have to worry about is infections because I have vesicoureteral reflux. And he will see me again at the end of the year!

Old 08-12-2003, 06:19 PM   #14

foz1130 HB User
Sehsun, good for you. Hope things stay well with you. I am due for an ultrasound and check-up, need to make an appt. I have been dealing with a few other health issues and have neglected to make my 6 mth urologist appt. Keep your fingers crossed my results are good too. Keep in touch, best wishes.

Old 10-20-2003, 02:22 PM   #15

LegoMyEgo HB User
New here. I had the 24 hour test over two weeks ago and still have not gotten results. How long does results usually take. They are doing this because I have been having problems with low potassium.

Thanks.

Closed Thread