It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2003, 08:59 PM   #1

Tyger HB User
Post *What's wrong with me!?* Chronic, constant UTI symptoms

Please help me in any way you can, I'm at wits end and very distressed. I've tried to condense my story as much as possible...please read it and help!

- Diagnosed with a UTI 2 weeks ago. 5 days on antibiotic Cephalexin (Keflex) and I seemed fine. Symptom relief was very quick, within the first 24 hours.

- 12 days later I was diagnosed with another UTI. Whether or not this one was a relapse of the first one because it had not been completely cured, nobody knows (it was a dipstick diagnosis, they didn't send off a culture test). Culture test was done for this second UTI, bacteria was found to be the most common one - E.coli.

- Prescribed 10-day course of Trimethoprim (E.coli is sensitive to it) to clear it up and 5 days later I have had NO improvement in symptoms. They have concluded that there may be more to it than a UTI and have sent off for a Chlamidia test. Even though I've only had one sexual partner, and we were both virgins beforehand, so this is unlikely.

My symptoms: Only minor pain if any when I'm urinating, clear urine. However I have a irritation/stinging-like sensation in the vaginal area at the site of my urethra that is CONSTANT throughout the day, flaring up especially in the evening. Not any unbearable pain, but enough to be noticeable and very very irritating, giving me the urge to urinate more often generally in an attempt to relieve the irritation.

* No unusual discharge, no odour, no major discomfort during sex (just the urge to pee! and a little tender), no noticeable abdominal pain.

Does anybody know of what else could be causing my discomfort?
Is there a reason why the Trimethoprim might not be working, although E.coli is proven to be sensitive to that antibiotic (and most others)? Can some people just be 'immune' to certain antibiotics?
What is urethral syndrome, and could it be that?
Is it possible to be RE-INFECTED with a completely new UTI only 12 days after finishing the last one, or does this suggest the same one has indeed relapsed?
Lastly - How long does it usually take to feel COMPLETE relief from UTI symptoms when taking antibiotics? (that is to say, when do you generally feel completely 'normal' again. Just incase I've been too impatient...)

PLEASE answer any of these questions that you might know answers to, and comment on my condition! I'm so worried and the doctors as yet have been little help.

Thank you in advance,

Tyger.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2003, 10:14 AM   #2
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Have they checked for things like interstitial cystitis? That is an inflammation of the whole bladder. Also for an e-coli you may wish to look into D-Mannose, which is not an antibiotic but binds to the bacteria and flushes them out.

Old 09-13-2003, 08:48 PM   #3

Kimberly315 HB User
I read that some UTI bacteria can actually crawl inside the cells that line your bladder. They will hide there until the antibiotics are gone, then crawl back out and give you another UTI. That could explain why UTIs are so hard to get rid of- I once spent a year treating recurrent infections.

Old 09-13-2003, 11:06 PM   #4

Tyger HB User
Could it perhaps just be a slight inflammation of the urethra that is an after-effect of the UTI? Its been hanging around for a while, and usually flares up in the evening.
Has anyone had this before?

And what is interstitial cystitis?
If anyone knows about urethral syndrome I'd like to hear about that too...

I wish I KNEW what it was!!! Please help

Tyger.

Old 09-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #5
Inactive

naughteblonde HB User
Hey there
I had very similar probs as you with the constant UTIs and took cepalexin long term. Many other antibiotics had no effect or I was allergic too. One thing my doc suggested that helped lots was cranberry juice. I drank litres of the stuff and it worked nicely, apparently it interferes with e.coli reproducing. Now after so long I still get the UTI symptoms but there is no bacteria, I have urethritis which is an inflammation of the urethra and cant be treated with antibiotics. Often I get a case of thrush with these symptoms, have you experienced the same?

------------------
'Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.'

Old 09-15-2003, 06:12 AM   #6

Tyger HB User
Hi Naughteblonde,
Thanks for replying to both my posts.
I've heard of Urithritis, how did you contract it? I was under the impression that it was a side-effect of chlamydia and/or gonorrhoea, but can it spring up of its own accord? you say it can't be treated with anti-biotics... does this mean its non-bacterial, and therefore how DO you treat it?
I'm sorry to hear you've had such problems with UTIs. I'm terrified of getting another one now, seeing as I've had 2 in such close proximity to eachother. Got results of my sample back today...*negative* for chlamydia.

My symptoms are starting to fade away today, but I can't be sure because it often springs back up for no reason. I just prey that I'll get back to my old self!!

Tyger.

P.s. No I haven't had thrush before (is that a yeast infection?) *knock on wood!!* That'd just add to my dramas and do you know what Urethral Syndrome is?

[This message has been edited by Tyger (edited 09-15-2003).]

Old 09-15-2003, 07:24 AM   #7
Inactive

naughteblonde HB User
Hey Tyger,
Urethritis can be triggered by something like chlymidia and other bacteria but Ive also always tested negative for them. It is pretty much the same thing as urethral syndrome which is the inflammation.
It can be caused by physically irritating the urethra like during sex, bike riding or even too tight pants and also it can be caused chemically with certain types of soaps/bath salts, talcum powder ect as well as the bacterial. You can only treat the bacterial cause with antibiotics. If your antibiotics arent working then its likely that bacteria isnt the cause. The best way to treat these is with large quantities of water to ease the irritation in your bladder and time. I understand your worries about contracting another so soon as they are rather painful so heres some tips on how to avoid them.

Always go to the toilet before and after sex.
Wipe front to back when you have been to the toilet.
Dont use any soaps or scented products on your genital area as this can irritate the delicate skin.
Try to take showers rather than baths
Drink lots of water all the time

If you try this and you still have problems go and see your doctor again, many doctors dismiss UTI symptoms when there may be something else causing them like interstitial cystitis or a urethra that is too small which needs a cystoscopy (camera into your bladder under anaesthetic) to diagnose.

Good luck and keep your chin up :-) You'll feel like yourself in no time

------------------
'Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.'

Old 09-16-2003, 10:09 AM   #8
Inactive

wifelookingforanswers HB User
Does your boyfriend practice good hygiene? For instance, if he doesn't regularly wash his hands, bacteria could be introduced into your body that way. Same goes for his genital areas. Also, if you have anal intercourse, then vaginal, this could also be a problem...Apple cider vinegar( about half a cup, mixed into a glass of water)tastes terrible, but relieves UTI symptoms.

Old 09-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #9
(male)

mrsriley72 HB User
supposedly, trimpex can take the entire 10 day course to alliviate your kidneys

Last edited by mrsriley72; 09-03-2007 at 05:51 PM.

Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 PM   #10

Tyger HB User
Hi all,
My boyfriend is *very* vigilant about his cleanliness, I highly doubt this is a result of his poor hygiene.
Honeymoon cystitis - is that the cystitis that doesn't generally exhibit any bacteria in the urine? Because my samples show that there is no longer any bacteria in my urine at all, yet the symptoms just refuse to go away! I wish I knew why.

The doctors are at a bit of a loss aswell, and have referred me to a gyno-urologist who's first available time to see me is mid-november. *groan* so I'll be hanging around biting my nails till then I suppose.

Any other opinions would help!!

Tyger.

Old 09-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #11

Emmad HB User
Hi Tyger

Hope you are still checking these replies - I was so relieved to read what you and the other people have written - I have spent ages searching on the internet to find information about my syptoms, and this is the first time I have found someone else with the same sort of problem.

I started off having a sort of tingling feeling in the general area and was worried that I had somehow got herpes or something, but it never turned into anything like that. What did happen was that the pain settled in my urethra - I don't have any vaginal symptoms or discharge, and I don't have cystitis - all that happens is I have a chronic, constant burning feeling right on the urethra site, and although it comes and goes in secverity it never really goes away. This has been going on for a couple of months now and it's driving me mental.

I went to the doctor and they tested for chlamydia (which I haven't got) and gave me antibiotics, but the antibiotics actually made it worse! Since then I haven't managed to get another appointment, and I have been trying to get an appointment at the GUM clinic so they can do complete tests for everything to try to find out what it is, but no matter how often I phone the line is always engaged - so much for the wonderful NHS!

I had a theory it might be a strange sort of thrush, since the antibiotics made it worse, so I got one of those tablet things. It didn't make any difference in the next 48 hours, which it should have done, but the following week it was much better. However, this week is worse again.

I am going to keep trying to get a GUM appointment, but in the meantime I am so pleased that I'm not the only one with this problem (not that I'd wish it on anyone else!)

Thanks - Emma

Old 09-29-2003, 04:53 PM   #12

scmom HB User
Hi Emma,
I have been following this thread too and suffer the same symptoms. Pain that comes and goes and a general feeling of discomfort. Let's keep in touch in case one of us gets that answer we are all searching for...until then...

Old 09-29-2003, 05:59 PM   #13

riveralgae HB User
Hi Everyone-

Over the course of the past two years I've been diagnosed with about 8-10 UTI's. I now take preventative antibiotics (Trimethoprim) after sex which had been working. I got a UTI from a long bike ride and recently after sex, so the preventative antibiotics may no longer be effective. This last infection was diagnosed as a UTI, but the symptoms never went away (with Levaquin - 7 days). I went back and there was no bacteria present, but they put me on antiobiotics (Bactrim - 10 days) again anyway. Still didn't work. I had the exact same symptoms as you described, Tyger. Constant irritation, an unending urge to urinate, worse at night, but not any real pain with urination (unlike my usual UTI's). I've just been drinking as much water as possible and dosing my self heavily with my preventatives (probably not smart, but I was desperate - sure that I had a UTI). Good news, I'm feeling normal now, but for how long? This same thing happened to me a year ago - I was sure I had a UTI (I've had them since I was a girl, so I can recognize the symptoms), but no bacteria were found.
I'm so frustrated. Like you all, I'm relieved that I'm not alone, but I'm having the same problems. I tried to make a doctor's appointment, to find out exactly what's going on and to rule out Chlamydia, but the doctor can't see me for another month. I can't believe they didn't test for that the second time I went back. Anyway, I just had to share and say thank you. If I get any answers, you'll be sure to hear from me again.

Old 09-30-2003, 07:17 PM   #14

Tyger HB User
hey River and Emma,
Well well, more women with the mysterious symptoms and no dianosis! Aggravating, isn't it?
Scmom and I have been suffering with these problems for a while, as you both have shared aswell, and seems to me the symptoms are exactly the same for all of us...at least we know we aren't alone in our confusion!

I too have to wait on the uro-gyn to see me until mid-november...a month and a half away. grrrr.... River, I suggest you rule out chlamydia (as we have done) then if thats clear we'll all be in the same boat. Have you all heard of 'urethral syndrome'? Its basically an irritation/inflammation of the urethra that presents no bacteria and can spring up as a result of a UTI. Sounds like what we have! The only problem is, there's pretty much no cure as its basically just a packaged name for this condition when all other possibilities have been ruled out.

At the moment, I'm feeling almost completely better *knock on wood!* but I never allow myself to get too excited over the prospect as its so likely to spring up again of its own accord for no apparent reason.

Good luck to you all! Make sure we keep eachother posted!
Update me on your conditions...

Tyger.

Old 10-07-2003, 02:23 AM   #15

Tylo HB User
Emma & Tiger,

I'm also having the same symptoms and have been in constant discomfort for 4 1/2 months now. And, yes, Emma, they started with the "tingling" sensation. I have also developed "colitis" type symptoms with the same "tingling." I have tested negative for chlamydia. My urinalysis shows white cells and a low level of bacteria. I finished a 7 day course with Flagyl and after day 4 my pelvic pain was so severe that I landed in the ER. My doctor wants to repeat the endometrial biopsy, another doc wants to put me on Keflex. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Emma, Tiger, let me know how you're doing. I would love to chat. Take care.

Closed Thread