It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Urology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

KaP HB User
Post pain on both sides & pain in abdomen

I was recently hospitalized with pneumonia(?) While in the hospital I began to experience pain on both sides where the kidneys are located and in the area of the liver. I also had pain in the abdomen on either side of bladder. I told drs. I thought I had a bladder infection. They were sceptical , but did an ultrasound. It showed nothing so they did nothing. Typical! The pain got worse and on the second day I guess they finally listened to me and tested me and gave me antibiotics by IV. They said I did have a bladder infection. I also had a yeast infection from being on antibiotics when I first arrived at the hosp.(this was about the 7th day of being hospitalized.)
Well, to make a long story shorter, I am home for 2 weeks and the same symptoms have started again. This time they are more painful. The pnemonia has also returned and I am on 1000mg of augmentin 2tab. twice a day. Again the antibiotics aren't doing anything for the bladder infection.
What does this mean and should I see a urologist? Is it just a bladder infection again or would the kidney be involved now? When the pain starts I have to urinate, if I don't the pain gets worse. I urinate a lot and the color on rising in the morning is very orangish, but throughout the day after drinking tons of water the color is pale yellow, which is normal, right? I have also been having a low grade fever 99 degrees for the past week every evening and sometimes during the day, but mostly in the evenings. Is this significant?
I have a drs. appt. tomorrow afternoon. are there any questions or tests I should ask about?
Thank you for listening to this longwinded account of my troubles!

KaP

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 11:36 PM   #2
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Kap,

It sounds to me like you may have developed a kidney infection on top of the pneumonia. This would explain the pain, the increased urination, the urine color, and possibly the fever.

It is good that you are drinking lots of water. You may want to add parsley tea or corn silk tea to that as well, it will help. Hydrangea (an herb) or uva ursi also help to flush out the kidneys.

I also recommend you get a good probiotic to combat the yeats infection. The infection is in your colon actually - but the doctors will not treat it there, they are generally ignorant and just treat it locally (like in the vagina). Yogurt will not do much of anything, you will need a probiotic. You should also avoid certain foods for a few weeks, like sugar and any white flour.

And bravo to you for standing up to your doctors....I'm proud of you.

Cheers,
ROA

Old 11-13-2003, 02:56 AM   #3
(female)

KaP HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageOfAngels
Kap,

It sounds to me like you may have developed a kidney infection on top of the pneumonia. This would explain the pain, the increased urination, the urine color, and possibly the fever.

It is good that you are drinking lots of water. You may want to add parsley tea or corn silk tea to that as well, it will help. Hydrangea (an herb) or uva ursi also help to flush out the kidneys.

I also recommend you get a good probiotic to combat the yeats infection. The infection is in your colon actually - but the doctors will not treat it there, they are generally ignorant and just treat it locally (like in the vagina). Yogurt will not do much of anything, you will need a probiotic. You should also avoid certain foods for a few weeks, like sugar and any white flour.

And bravo to you for standing up to your doctors....I'm proud of you.

Cheers,
ROA
RageofAngels
Thank you for all of your info. I don't drink tea. Is there anything else to try? I suppose I could drink some one time. Don't drink tea, coffee, or pop/soda. They all taste yucky to me.
After awhile, you realize they are "Practicing Physicians".
They don't know everything and I know my body better than they do!
What is a probiotic? Sorry to be so ignorant or should I say uninformed?
Thanks,
KaP

Old 11-13-2003, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Kap,

Drink the tea anyway. This is the time to be flexible, a kidney infection is serious stuff.

You can also eat lots of watermelon, if you can find it.

A probiotic adds beneficial bacteria to your colon. A good one that I take is called Primal Defense. I believe it is available from one of the sponsors of this site, or at a health food store.

-ROA

Old 11-13-2003, 09:18 PM   #5
(female)

KaP HB User
Thanks ROA,
I guess I can be flexible.
The dr. did some tests today and said they would call me with the results. He gave me something called pyridium, 3x a day. Its supposed to help with the pain. Have you ever heard of it?
Thanks again.
KaP

Old 11-14-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Hi, never heard of pyridium. If it causes you any side effects though, ask for a different painkiller. Sometimes some of them can cause strange side effects.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:17 PM   #7

riveralgae HB User
Pyridium is a good drug for urinary tract pain/discomfort. However, it may lose its effectiveness after a while (should work for you until you get the doctor's test results, though). One thing to note is that it will turn your urine bright orange to light red. Also, if he gave you a prescription, you can get it over the counter (which is less expensive if you don't have insurance). It is available under a variety of names, just ask your pharmacist.

Old 11-15-2003, 10:06 PM   #8
(female)

KaP HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveralgae
Pyridium is a good drug for urinary tract pain/discomfort. However, it may lose its effectiveness after a while (should work for you until you get the doctor's test results, though). One thing to note is that it will turn your urine bright orange to light red. Also, if he gave you a prescription, you can get it over the counter (which is less expensive if you don't have insurance). It is available under a variety of names, just ask your pharmacist.
Riveralgae,
Thanks for the info. The pyridium is not working now. It worked the first day, but now it is useless. I did notice the change in color.
Now I have started to become nauseated and its no fun. I also still have a low grade fever, which I've had for about a week.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
KaP

Last edited by KaP; 11-15-2003 at 10:07 PM.

Old 11-16-2003, 03:22 PM   #9

BrendaJ HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaP
Riveralgae,
Thanks for the info. The pyridium is not working now. It worked the first day, but now it is useless. I did notice the change in color.
Now I have started to become nauseated and its no fun. I also still have a low grade fever, which I've had for about a week.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
KaP

Hello,

I am new to the boards so hopefullly you don't mind me jumping in. Sounds to me like you are allegeric to the pyridum. I can not take it, any strength, not even the over the counter ones. I become extremely nauseated after the second dose.
Today I wish I could. Went back to dr. yesterday and had another UTI. She says "but it has been five months since your last one". Big deal, I never had any till my hystrectomy, which I would do again in a blink of an eye, but for the last three years it has been one UTI right after another. I am so sorry I did not mmean to go on and on.I intended to poat and then contimue reading. Sorry.

Old 11-16-2003, 07:15 PM   #10
(female)

KaP HB User
BrendaJ,
Of course I don't mind hearing from you. I had my ovaries removed in Jan.2003 and have had nothing, but trouble. First a bloodclot on the lungs, then all this stuff! It is really a pain. I hope I don't have UTI's all of the time. That would be horrible!
Maybe I am allergic to Pyridium. After the first day it didn't help at all and now I get nauseated all the time. Thanks for letting me know about that. I have sooo many allergies already, what's one more.
No need to apologize. Your input is appreciated.
Thank you again.
KaP

Closed Thread